Car Pollution In Bangkok

bkkjames

Since we are raising the awareness of air pollution and health today, I wanted to bring up the topic of it caused by the millions of cars on our streets in Bangkok.

Seems people / authorities are so concerned with other individual health hazards like smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods etc, I think it's about time people start thinking about 2nd hand pollutants caused by cars, trucks motorbikes etc - that we have no choice but to inhale.

Below is an outtake of relatively recent study done in Bangkok and Chonburi on school children...

"The aim of this study is to assess potential health risk of exposure to particle-associated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in children living in a megacity with traffic congestion such as Bangkok.

The study population comprised 184 Thai schoolboys (aged 8–13 years) attending schools adjacent to high-density traffic areas in Bangkok and schools located in the provincial area of Chonburi.

The ambient concentration of total PAHs at roadsides in proximity to the Bangkok schools was 30-fold greater than at roadsides in proximity to the provincial schools (30.39 ± 5.80 versus 1.50 ± 0.28 ng/m3; P < 0.001). Benzo(g,h,i)perylene (BghiP), an indicator of automobile exhaust emission, was the predominant PAH. Personal exposure to total PAHs and the corresponding benzo(a)pyrene (BaP) equivalent concentrations in

Bangkok schoolchildren were 3.5-fold higher than in provincial schoolchildren (4.13 ± 0.21 versus 1.18 ± 0.09 ng/m3; P < 0.001 and 1.50 ± 0.12 versus 0.43 ± 0.05 ng/m3; P < 0.001, respectively). The concentration of urinary 1-hydroxypyrene (1-HOP) was significantly higher in Bangkok schoolchildren. Bulky carcinogen–DNA adduct levels in peripheral lymphocytes were also significantly higher (0.45 ± 0.03 versus 0.09 ± 0.00 adducts/108 nt; P < 0.001).

Finally, a significantly higher level of DNA strand breaks and a significantly lower level of DNA repair capacity were observed in Bangkok schoolchildren (P < 0.001). This study indicates that Bangkok schoolchildren exposed to a high level of genotoxic PAHs in ambient air may be more vulnerable to the health impacts associated with the exposure to genotoxic pollutants than children in provincial areas and may have increased health risks for the development of certain diseases such as cancer."

Here's the whole article.. http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/28/4/816

Hope it makes you breath easier knowing that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Why don't Government's do more?

Why don't Government's do more?

The Thai government is making an effort on this front.

And I just did my bit by buying a fuel injection bike rather than carburettor.

They have rules. but they are just not enforced. I mean cars are checked once in a while even the exhaust fumes but if they fail they dont get it repaired they just bribe the official.

Look at the cars belching out loads of smoke you just see that they have an engine problem. But they are never taken of the roads.

Difficult as it might be to believe, there have been huge improvements in the air quality in Bangkok.

Since the early 90s Thailand has enacted laws governing automotive fuel removing leaded fuels, drastically reducing sulphur content (soon to be reduced again) and drastically reducing particulates in exhaust gasses.

Anyone who rembers how bad the polution in Bangkok during the early/mid 90s will tell you that merely walking a few blocks would result in a sore throat and streeming eyes.

Much has still to be done, vehicle maintenance and clamping down on illegally imported non compliant fuels are two areas that would help but significant improvements have and continue to be made.

The Thai Government is making an effort on this front. Thanks for bringing that to my attention . I'll feel much better the next time I pass through a choking plume of black smoke.

The Thai Government is making an effort on this front. Thanks for bringing that to my attention . I'll feel much better the next time I pass through a choking plume of black smoke.

I think recently burning tires and buildings has taken first place for the govt. :)