Renting A New House - I Need My Name On Rental Agreement

hi, i am currently in the UK, and my thai girlfriend has rented a new house where we will be living. houses are quite hard to find , for renting, where we live, and as it will only be for 6 months max, we decided to rent it. before we lived in an apartment. i asked my gf to make sure both our names are on the rental agreement, or contract, or whatever paperwork is signed. she then tells me that she can only put her name on it. i would really like my name on there, to prove that i am renting a place, and have an address in thailand. ( in case i want to set up a bank account, or get a letter of residency for example - maybe i am wrong, maybe it doesnt really matter if my name is not on there ). but is she telling the truth? i did ask for to make sure my name was on any agreement signed. i dont understand why my name cant be on there.

Hi,

Many houses here are rented using a pro-forma contract template where you can write the names and amounts on the dotted lines, as it were. No problem legally to have a joint contract, but some landlords like to keep things clean and simple which is probably the case here. The only other reasons preventing your name being there would be:

1. Not enough space to write both names in the space provided, or,

2. A more formal contract or picky agency where they may need to see you in person and get a signed copy of your passport.

Cheers

If you are not present to sign the contract, how can you legally expect to be the lessee?

i realise that, but i hope i can sign the lease when i arrive in thailand in 1 weeks time

If you are not present to sign the contract, how can you legally expect to be the lessee?

i realise that, but i hope i can sign the lease when i arrive in thailand in 1 weeks time

I previously had a tenant in a similar situation. As she was in Sweden and unable to sign the Lease Agreement, she decided to appoint a local Power of Attorney in Bangkok who was authorized to sign the lease agreement on behalf of her.

I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than need be. Just have you're GF let them know you want to be added to the lease contract when you arrive and then have them write some sort of addendum to the lease