Kratom

Neeranam

Kratom is a drug found in Thailand and Malaysia.

It is illegal in Thailand but legal in the USA.

I have a friend there who is using this drug to come off benzodiazepines.

I have been asked advice as whether or not this is a good decision.

My first thought is NO, why replace one drug with another.

I know it to be similar to cannabis, which can be used by some people to come off other drugs and for real medicinal purposes, also legal in the West for some ailments/diseases.

Does anyone know of this drug, especially if it has any habit-forming tendancies or side-effects?

Kratom is a drug found in Thailand and Malaysia.

It is illegal in Thailand but legal in the USA.

I have a friend there who is using this drug to come off benzodiazepines.

I have been asked advice as whether or not this is a good decision.

My first thought is NO, why replace one drug with another.

I know it to be similar to cannabis, which can be used by some people to come off other drugs and for real medicinal purposes, also legal in the West for some ailments/diseases.

Does anyone know of this drug, especially if it has any habit-forming tendancies or side-effects?

well it is Diazem, VALIUM (for example)

Benzodiazepines .. belong to the group of medicines called central nervous system (CNS) depressants ...it is used to relieve anxiety..make you sleep..and sometime use as anti convulsant

and yes...somebody use it..as "drug" typsy

side effect..glaucoma, constipation, appetizing,increase the chance of birth defects ,dyspahgia,Myasthenia gravis .....etc

Regards

bambi :o

What are the effects?

Kratom is a rather unique drug in that a low to moderate dose will usually (but not always) be stimulating, while a high dose is almost always quite sedating. This is apparently because the active alkaloids (primarily mitragynine) have both stimulant and sedative effects. Which predominates probably depends both on blood level and individual differences between users.

The stimulant level: At the stimulant level the mind is more alert, physical energy and sometimes sexual energy is increased, ability to do hard monotonous physical work may be improved, one is more talkative, friendly, and sociable. Some people find this level edgy rather than pleasant.

The sedative-euphoric-analgesic level: At this dosage you will be less sensitive to physical or emotional pain, feel and look calm, have a general feeling of comfortable pleasure, and may enter a pleasant dreamy reverie. You may experience some itching or sweating. Your pupils may be constricted (small). It is possible you may feel nauseated, but if you lie down the nausea should quickly cease. You may find your appreciation of music is increased. It will be very pleasant to lie down on your back in a semi-darkened room, with eyes closed, and just listen to your favorite music. If you do this you may be fortunate enough to enter the delightful mixed-state of ‘waking-dreaming’ where you have one foot in dreamland and the other foot in the real world. This state was much prized by the 19th century Romantic writers, who, lacking knowledge of kratom, resorted to the much more habit-forming narcotic, opium, to achieve it. The effects of kratom usually last about six hours. The higher the dose, the stronger the effects, and the longer they last. Many people report a positive ‘afterglow’ the next day.

What are the risks? How safe is it?

If kratom is chewed or taken as a tea by itself (without mixing it with other drugs), the greatest risk is falling asleep while engaged in hazardous activities. NEVER drive while under the influence of kratom, even if you feel stimulated, rather than sleepy, for sleepiness may come on you without warning. Use common sense. Do not use power tools, or climb ladders while under the influence of kratom. Be careful not to leave a pot on a lit stove and then fall asleep.

Pregnant women should not take any drug or medication except on medical advice. Since there have been no studies of the risks of kratom use by pregnant women, it is not known whether it could cause birth defects or fetal death. We strongly recommend that any woman who could possibly be pregnant NOT use kratom."

Is kratom habit forming?

Although a small number of people have become dependent on kratom (primarily in Thailand), kratom is not habit forming when it is used responsibly. If used occasionally as a recreational drug, rather than daily, there is virtually no risk of becoming dependent on it. But it is very important not to get into the habit of using it every day. For kratom, like many drugs [e.g. alcohol, coffee, tobacco, etc.] if used on a daily basis for a prolonged period of time, could become a habit hard to break. IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO USE KRATOM EVERY DAY. Before starting to experiment with it set yourself usage guidelines. If you EVER find it is hard to stay within your usage guidelines immediately quit using kratom.

What are safe usage guidelines?

It is best to ere on the side of caution. Do not use Kratom more than once a week. Preferably, no more than once or twice a month. This will insure that Kratom does not become a habit. In other words, kratom should be reserved as a special, but OCCASIONAL treat. By using it infrequently, you will avoid habituation and get more pleasure from it.

Are there any reported health problems?

Health problems are unlikely unless one is consuming large quantities of kratom every day. In Thailand, where there are some people who use kratom every day, those dependent on it can develop weight loss, dark pigmentation of the face, and have physical withdrawal symptoms if they quit abruptly. The withdrawal symptoms may include muscle aches, irritability, crying, runny nose, diarrhea, and muscle jerking. Health problems are unlikely to occur in occasional kratom users. Like any drug or medicine, people's reactions vary and some people could possibly have an allergic or other unusual reaction to kratom, even if they used it responsibly.

Hope that helps :o

dozing dog

• 2 years later...

The only "kratom"I have ever heard of is a fruit (I think betel fruit?) which is commonly dried and prepared as an herbal tea and can be bought in every supermarket in Thailand.

Is this one and the same (prersumably in more potent form) or are we talking about different things?

Kratom is a controlled substance in LOS. Tread carefully. The death penalty can be the punishment for drug trafficking.

Legal status

Kratom is a controlled substance in Thailand, Australia, Finland, Malaysia and Myanmar (Burma). A handful of people in Malaysia and possibly other countries are lobbying their governments to allow medical research into kratom as a potential prescription substance. However as of January 2007, Malaysia is moving to make kratom more illegal rather than less, and plans to reclassify it under the dangerous drugs law rather than the less severe poisonous substances laws.

It may be legal right now in the US and Europe but it is on the list of things to be banned in the US by the DEA.

Edited by gunnyd

OK, well I still don't know what if any connection it has to the bael fruit, but since it is an illegal drug in Thailand, I'm closing this thread in keeping with Forum rules against discussing illegal activities which using this in LOS apparently is.