Nature

soohk

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 images taken today from the summit of Doi Pui, Chiangmai.... smile.png

8853206664_715bc5c51b_c.jpg

....i need your insect expertise here angiud. First is a Lynx spider right? the other 2 species i do not know...

Its a jumping spider of the family Salticidae

How the background is fully black?

No brush or studio background with a frozen butterfly.

Just cut and paste on photo shop.Clearly to see.

Clearly to see; but completely wrong!

The photo was taken in Kaeng Krachan National Park last week. I was mainly using a macro lens but this butterfly was high in a bush so I used a telephoto with an effective focal length of 456mm.

The original shot can be seen in the attached. The dull background was distracting so I used the "black" slider to darken the blacks in Lightroom, and also added some contrast. Various other minor adjustments. also in Lightroom. As usual, I then used Photoshop as a final step to resize the image and sharpening for posting.

Lightroom is a very powerful tool.

post-152667-0-91258400-1370226757_thumb.

@anguid I went to look for more of your photos on flicker. You must see the nature quite more widely than most of us.

When I hear buzzing sound next to my ear and see some fly or bee flying around, I name it conveniently as UFO and forget it.

3 images taken today from the summit of Doi Pui, Chiangmai.... smile.png

8853206664_715bc5c51b_c.jpg

....i need your insect expertise here angiud. First is a Lynx spider right? the other 2 species i do not know...

Its a jumping spider of the family Salticidae

I can't help but think that spider is not some cartoon caricature. Great shot.

@anguid I went to look for more of your photos on flicker. You must see the nature quite more widely than most of us.

When I hear buzzing sound next to my ear and see some fly or bee flying around, I name it conveniently as UFO and forget it.

I agree. Anguid has an amazing portfolio of insect photos, AND, the knowledge of what species they are.

I visited one of my favorite spots in Phuket town. Hill with view and monkeys.

Homeless monkey. He did open the trash bin and found what he was looking for - iced water with a bit sweet taste.

2013-06-06_17-49-09.jpg

This one was all ready to borrow a motorbike, seems like fun for bigger apes, so why not us as well?

2013-06-06_17-35-41.jpg

Just after hard play with other kids.. older monkey came to cool things down. His face expression is pretty much the same as humans have "I was just playing with others, really"

2013-06-06_17-31-09.jpg

Centipede

Kids call them Rot Fai, Thai for train.

post-12069-0-01504300-1370610620_thumb.j

Great how they can get all these legs going in the same direction at the same time.

Heck I have known people who have a great deal of trouble getting two legs going in a straight line.

Most of the butterflies I see are in constant motion and don't stop long enough near me to get a good picture. I've got hundreds of blurry photos of them. I have a young cousin who likes butterflies and I always send her my better pictures. Occasionally I get lucky.

post-168760-0-40493300-1371072007_thumb.

post-168760-0-48399500-1371072041_thumb.

post-168760-0-62478500-1371072096_thumb.

Most of the butterflies I see are in constant motion and don't stop long enough near me to get a good picture. I've got hundreds of blurry photos of them. I have a young cousin who likes butterflies and I always send her my better pictures. Occasionally I get lucky.

A trick a friend of mine uses for butterflies to "sit and stay", is to use some honey dropped in an area to easily take a shot.... then you have to sit and stay until they appear! wink.png

He just uses a squeeze bottle, with a good cap on it... thumbsup.gif

I did try that, once, but the cap popped off in the bag.... it was a bit messy! bah.gifsad.pngbiggrin.png

I think this is the same dragonfly species as the one Goshawk posted in water scenes. At least it stayed around long enough for a photo. Dragonflies are really interesting insects spending most of the life cycle in an aquatic environment. They prey on other insects and the larger ones will occasionally eat small minnows. The larger species can move quite quickly using a form of jet propulsion.

post-168760-0-55693400-1371102505_thumb.

Archived