Nature

soohk

At the moment I am looking at birding web sites for Thailand; but they don’t give the best time of year or nesting seasons. Would you, or anyone else have any recommendations?

Due to the large amount of resident species, anytime of the year really can be productive, but all the wintering species are present in Thailand now & for the next month or so.. speciality birds like spoon-billed sandpiper (critically endangered & one of the worlds rarest) can be seen right now at a few places around the northern rim of the gulf of Thailand.

All the info you need for a successful birding trip can be seen here.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It will probably be a bit longer than a month before I get there; waiting on my Brother In-law to get back from overseas (I'm looking after his farm). Haven't heard from him in awhile so not exactly sure when he gets back (not too long I hope). Regards.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discovered I have problem with my auto focus today. Couldn't work out why very few photos are sharp (they should be be with the lens I just bought). So this morning did some calibration tests, and found that my camera has a short focus problem. To make things worse it is inconsistant, sometimes by a small margin sometime by quite a lot, same problem on all 3 lenses, so it is the camera at fault. Rang up to organize to have it repaired under warranty and told will take six about weeks. could be longer, NOT very impressed Nikon.

Anyway; future posts will be from pics already taken and I will try and pick the sharpest ones. Ones that are near in focus will be ones taken at close range with the aperture closed down.

Below a Red-Brown Finch.

8431659873_58c5a7dece_c.jpg

Red_Brown Finch by Bill.3173, on Flickr

8431660341_135f3c38f4_c.jpg

Red-Brown Finch by Bill.3173, on Flickr

Had a play with the camera since I last posted. Found some settings deep within the menu, which I think helped.

I have 4 Wallabys which come by each morning and evening to feed on front and back lawn; 1 male, 2 juveniles, and 1 female which I noticed today has a Joey in her pouch. Hopefully I can get a pic of the Joey popping its head out in the next couple of weeks. (quite intriguing watching the pouch move about from the joey kicking). I had to stay still for about 90 minutes to get these closeups, they are wild so are timid with people. (my feet were killing me)

Pic 1 is of the female, you may notice the bulge from her pouch.

Pic 2 is a clearer photo of the pouch with the opening.

Pic 3 you can see the reflection in her eye of the converted barn, I was standing at the door with the camera.

Pic 4 is a closeup of her eye.

P.S. Good news, I heard from my Brother In-Law (I,m looking after his farm), he should be back in 6 weeks. When he's back, I,m straight over there biggrin.png.

8443445979_d1d4af37d1_c.jpg

DSC_0155_1 by Bill.3173, on Flickr

8444536502_781d04f6d1_c.jpg

DSC_0154_1 by Bill.3173, on Flickr

8443445565_259ec90885_c.jpg

DSC_0160_1 by Bill.3173, on Flickr

8443443763_b4ef718fe0_c.jpg

DSC_0160_2 by Bill.3173, on Flickr

@Bill 3173

Where in Thailand did you take these wonderful pics !?

Hi Charlie. The photos were not actually taken in Thailand. (Hope to return soon) I am staying on a farm near Port Macquarie Australia, the photos were taken about 5 metres from my back door; there is a lot of wildlife nearby. If you or others are interested, I have some very nice pics taken in a sanctuary of others Australian birds and animals.

P.S. I had previously asked if it was OK to post Australian pics and why I restrict myself to the nature thread.

Regards Bill.

@Bill 3173

Where in Thailand did you take these wonderful pics !?

Think good, he could have shipped the kangaroo to LOS.. It is possible..

@Dancealot: any Dutch cows you've taken with you...? biggrin.png

Charlie.

I must apologize, it seems I misinterpreted your post. Yes the photo was taken outside of Thailand and I am fully aware of the guideline “related to Thailand”; hence why I asked in my first post if it was appropriate if I posted. Maybe the mods should change it to “taken in Thailand”. I posted the Wallaby pics as I thought members might find it interesting with the joey in the pouch.

I will reframe from posting any more nature photos until I have some from within Thailand. (Personally I can’t see how nature can be contained within borders).

In the meantime thank you to those who showed interest in my posts. Since posting here I can now appreciate the time and effort some of you put into your photography.

Archived