Nature

soohk

Most of the butterflies I see are in constant motion and don't stop long enough near me to get a good picture. I've got hundreds of blurry photos of them. I have a young cousin who likes butterflies and I always send her my better pictures. Occasionally I get lucky.

A trick a friend of mine uses for butterflies to "sit and stay", is to use some honey dropped in an area to easily take a shot.... then you have to sit and stay until they appear! wink.png

He just uses a squeeze bottle, with a good cap on it... thumbsup.gif

I did try that, once, but the cap popped off in the bag.... it was a bit messy! bah.gifsad.pngbiggrin.png

Thank you for that tip, Jimmy. I will try it. I recently saw some large Tiger swallowtails. They are our biggest butterflies in British Columbia.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I don't want them in my apartment, Ants are interesting critters. I'm always amazed at their organization. I was told to bring Borax with me when I came to Thailand and it's been helpful in keeping the tiny ants from over running my apartment in Chiang Mai, but I can't help but admire the ants industrious nature. Until I got my little Nikon AW 100 I never got a good picture of really tiny creatures, but the Nikon will focus down to one CM. I just have to add a flashlight to brighten the subject. The ants are less than 2 mm. They covered one tiny drop of mango juice.

post-168760-0-50271800-1371280226_thumb.

post-168760-0-81830800-1371280251_thumb.

I've had that happen many times, Shaggy. Just yesterday while out kayaking I had a damselfly sit on my hand, and it stayed there while I kept paddling. I took video of it rather than a snapshot.

I've had that happen many times, Shaggy. Just yesterday while out kayaking I had a damselfly sit on my hand, and it stayed there while I kept paddling. I took video of it rather than a snapshot.

Fearless creatures aren't they......I seem to attract dragonflies and ladybirds for some reason.

and mosquitoes bah.gif

Fearless creatures aren't they......I seem to attract dragonflies and ladybirds for some reason.

and mosquitoes bah.gif

It's been my experience that creatures at the top of their food chain tend to be less nervous when interacting with humans. Dragonflies feed on all other insects and the have no reason to fear humans.

Don't know if anyone else saw this in todays news or if anyone would be interested.

In support of tiger conservation, True Corporation will hold a "Wildlife is Priceless, Forests Are Precious" photo contest. The contest aims to encourage awareness about the importance of preserving forests their wildlife.

"One photo can tell many stories", said Ard Taolanon, vice president of True Corporation.

The photo contest will be open to anyone who expresses an interest and will be divided into two main topics: forests and wildlife.

Those interested in taking part can submit their photographs up till the end of September. More information on the competition can be found at: Trueplookpanya.com.

Archived