Songthaew Driver First Arrest In Riots

ChiangMaiMail

Songthaew driver first arrest in riots

Chiang Mai Mail reporters

Sayan Saengsiri, 42, of Saraphi District was arrested in his home after the police were issued a search warrant to search his home. The Chiang Mai Courts issued the search warrant on May 23 and the police searched the home of the red songthaew driver.

He confessed to police that he delivered the tires that were used to burn the Assistant Governor’s residence on Wednesday, May 19. He told police that he had been hired by the Rak Chiang Mai 51 Group to deliver the tires in his songthaew.

Red shirt supporters burned down the home of Surachai Chongrak, the permanent secretary of the Chiang Mai Provincial Authority who serves as the Assistant Governor, as well as the entrance gate, security booth and other structures in residence of Governor Amornphan Nimanant. Damages are estimated at more than 3 million baht.

Chiang Mai Police continue their investigation into the arson and vandalism and expect to arrest further suspects.

http://chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd8

chiangmaillogo.png

-- Chiang Mai Mail 2010/06/01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Chiang Mai Mail for many of us is a way to find out what has been happening locally, both in the Thai community and Expat community. If some news is 7 days old, then i dont mind, its good to be able to read in English about something that has happened, particularly if i have heard rumours about it. I cannot read Thai well, there is no way i could get through a Thai newspaper, and i would not ask the Thai people around me to translate, i feel that is an imposition. So, actually, im grateful for the CM mail.

Lets see. This incident happened May 19th. Arrest warrant served May 23 rd. Chaing Mai Mail article in print June 1 st. Available on line June 2nd and then they post on line again on Thai Visa June 4th. This is good reporting? :)

Hello, thank you for your interest in how the paper works. The warrant was issued the 23rd, the Police report the 24th. Deadline for the paper is the 23rd. This news came too late for the paper that was published on the following Tuesday. As for it being online the 2nd and on Thaivisa on the 4th, apologies for the delay, but posting on ThaiVisa isn't a priority and sometimes news gets delayed on publishing on this site.

While we are a weekly, we strive to include local news, much of which is not published in the daily newspapers. And while this delay can be annoying I do not see that it makes the news any less than news.

We appreciate your feedback and you are welcome to contact the paper directly with your concerns since posting on ThaiVisa is not a main focus of our paper.

Hello, thank you for your interest in how the paper works. The warrant was issued the 23rd, the Police report the 24th. Deadline for the paper is the 23rd. This news came too late for the paper that was published on the following Tuesday. As for it being online the 2nd and on Thaivisa on the 4th, apologies for the delay, but posting on ThaiVisa isn't a priority and sometimes news gets delayed on publishing on this site.

While we are a weekly, we strive to include local news, much of which is not published in the daily newspapers. And while this delay can be annoying I do not see that it makes the news any less than news.

We appreciate your feedback and you are welcome to contact the paper directly with your concerns since posting on ThaiVisa is not a main focus of our paper.

Fare enough on you being a weekly. But your comment about TV is not even a focus? This is not good.

Chiang Mai Mail for many of us is a way to find out what has been happening locally, both in the Thai community and Expat community. If some news is 7 days old, then i dont mind, its good to be able to read in English about something that has happened, particularly if i have heard rumours about it. I cannot read Thai well, there is no way i could get through a Thai newspaper, and i would not ask the Thai people around me to translate, i feel that is an imposition. So, actually, im grateful for the CM mail.

on Chrome theres a translate button at the top of the page, if the news is in thai, its not perfect but I can get the gist of the story

post-15912-080864500 1275836781_thumb.jp

I hadn't heard this story so even if the news isn't real-time, it's still valuable to me.