Whisky

roscoe

Could this happen to a bottle of Thai Whiskey?

Hotel guest pays £32,000 for wee dram before bed

By Duncan Gardham

(Filed: 16/06/2005)

A hotel guest has bought a bottle of whisky for £32,000 and drunk it in one night.

The anonymous regular at the Pennyhill Park Hotel in Bagshot, Surrey, was joined by a group of friends who helped him put away the world's most expensive single malt in the oak-panelled surroundings of the establishment's Ascot bar.

The bottle, a Dalmore 62-year-old malt, was produced by the tiny Scottish distillery at Alness, Ross-shire, 20 miles north of Inverness, three years ago.

The distillery combined casks of malt from 1868, 1878, 1926 and 1939 to make the single malt, making the youngest of the ingredients 62 years old when bottled.

The bottle, drunk late one evening in Surrey last month, is believed to be the only one of 12 to have been opened. One remains at the distillery and the others were sold to private collectors.

The hotel bought the bottle little expecting it to be drunk. David Broadhead, the general manager, would not reveal the identity of the middle-aged buyer, thought to be from Berkshire, but described him as a "regular hotel guest and a private collector of fine spirits".

A man after my own heart. :o

The number of times that Thai people have asked me questions about Scottish whisky, as I come from there!

I am sick and tired of telling them that what they call "whisky" is NOT.

I could say the same for many other countries that produce liquor and have the nerve to call it "whisky".

You do not mix whisky with coke :D I'm sure the gut who paid all that money for the bottle didn't mix it. :o

If you are a Billionaire, you gotta spend your money in something, so sure why not?

Bet it was fantastic, I'm stuck with 100 Pipers and flat Coke on a Saturday night.

I reckon Roman Abramovich (Chelsea FC's Chairman who is exceptionally wealthy for the uninitiated) would not bat an eyelid at spending double that on a bottle of rare Vodka :D

I'd love to have been invited to share it :o

You do not mix whisky with coke :D I'm sure the gut who paid all that money for the bottle didn't mix it. :o

If he was drinking pepsi no need to mix it cause pepsi taste quite good but any other brand of coke definately requires some whisky in it to make the taste drinkable.

Only my opinion ofcourse because other people maybe hate the taste of pepsi.

If he was drinking pepsi no need to mix it cause pepsi taste quite good but any other brand of coke definately requires some whisky in it to make the taste drinkable.

Only my opinion ofcourse because other people maybe hate the taste of pepsi.

Yeah Pepsi sucks