Ex-pats Buying Vehicles

What's the scoop with buying a vehicle in Thailand? Can I own it outright or does it have to be registered to a company?

Also how does the insurance and registration work? I've already been told that it is beneficial to get a Thai drivers license if you own a vehicle there.

You can own a car or motorcycle with any class of Visa, just a 30 day entry stamp is enough.

Yes, having a Thai Driving License is benificial, it allows you to drive in Thailand and should cover completely the Insurance companies small print. :o

Insurance and registration are straight forward procedures.

You can own a car or motorcycle with any class of Visa, just a 30 day entry stamp is enough.

Yes,  having a Thai Driving License is benificial, it allows you to drive in Thailand and should cover completely the Insurance companies small print.    :o

Insurance and registration are straight forward procedures.

I was told that insurance is less expensive if the car is in name of the Thai wife.

You have to be the holder of a Non-Immigrant visa to get a driver's license.

How does he get one of them?

I know, this is a question that must have been asked and answered a thousand times. :o

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's permit. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

When I applied for my 1 year license I had all the paperwork in hand (originals and photo copies). The process at the driver’s license office took about one hour. The most time consuming part of the effort, including travel time, was getting the notarized residence document from the US Consulate ($30 and 20 minutes inside plus 40 minutes Skytrain time) and the doctor’s certificate (200 baht and 10 minutes in the office, plus 20 minutes walking). Since I had an International Driver’s license and a US license I did not have to take a written examination or a driving test…I only had to do the color recognition test.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

Hi Corkscrew. Are you going to buy a car and try out your new GPS. Have your buy the GPS? .....smile.

I tested the Garmin on our current car and it would not 'receive' through the windscreen....it needed an outside aerial to work.

This week we are going to take delivery of a second car and I think the Garmin will still have a problem....as both cars are MBs.

But, I'll probably get a Garmin anyway and learn to live with the temporary (magnet) aerial when I really need directions.

What is funny is that my hand held Magellan GPS works OK with the car.

Yeah, the outside magnet mount antenna will give the strongest signal for sure.

In LOS keeping the window cracked for the cable back to the unit is not too much of a problem I would think because the weather is not oppressive like in the Northern climates.

Yeah, the outside magnet mount antenna will give the strongest signal for sure.

In LOS keeping the window cracked for the cable back to the unit is not too much of a problem I would think because the weather is not oppressive like in the Northern climates.

With respect to the S and the SLK, I think that the gap between the inside and the outside in the latter machine is more maneuverable. The S is a tightly sealed sedan....the SLK allows more room for a wire to feed outside...also, I hope that the GPS receptor might have a friendlier interface out the rear window....allowing less stringing of cables.