Forum Issues And Suggestions

sbk

In the view new content screen it lets you know when the latest post in each thread was posted with wording like "a minute ago", "2 minutes ago", etc. What would be more helpful would be the actual time that the last post was posted. Then if I minimize the TV screen and leave it for a few minutes before maximizing the TV screen again, I could check the time of the last post against the clock on my computer and know whether it is worthwhile refreshing the screen or leaving it for a few more minutes. As it is, if I left the computer for an hour or so, upon coming back it would still indicate that the latest thread was only posted "one minute ago" and there would be no cross reference as to whether that was a 30 minute minute or a 2 hour minute.

Yes, please change back to indicating the time of the post, and not "2 minutes ago."

Because of slow internet connections -- I do live in Thailand after all -- I often will open a forum thread list, go down the list and click on threads that sound interesting to open them in background tabs, and often have to do that on multiple thread index pages. After doing that, I *used to* make a note of the latest post's time on the first index page before clicking on "mark all threads read" and then noting any threads that had been new posts after the previous latest post's time and read them, if interested.

Now, when "3 minutes ago" from when I first started clicking on thread titles, becomes "2 minutes ago" on a different thread title after marking all threads read, I can't easily determine which threads have new posts.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ISSUE: Every thread on every forum has a "Go to first unread post" icon, even old threads that have no unread posts.

I've been away from thaivisa.com for over a week, and finally got a block of time so I could sit and catch up on my reading -- and dang! -- I can't tell which threads are new ones with unread posts. :)

If that is W.A.D., then a SUGGESTION: change the design. If not W.A.D., any idea when it'll be corrected?

Also, I agree with another suggestion from above: In the main forum list, making the forum names in bold (or another color?) would make them stand out.

I've given up waiting to see if the forums (fora?) could revert to show posts I had previously read on the old forum software.

So, now that I'm trying to catch up on a few weeks' worth of forum reading, I find that clicking on the icon on the forum index indicating a thread has unread posts, that they all link to post #1.

This is going to be a big P.I.T.A. I used to follow about ten forums, but am not real pleased at having to stumble around in the dark to find unread messages... :D

I would like to thank the admin team for trying to do their best to get the new version of TV running smoothly. So far it looks great and I don't have any big problems with it.

But I would like to mention the new e-mail notification system:

Now the topic title is included in the subject line, which is a great improvement, but why also include the name of the poster?

Wouldn't something like:

"New topic posted: Topic title" or

"Reply to topic posted: Topic title"

be enough?

Issue: e-mail notification frequency:

In the past the 'delayed notification' never worked for me unless I actually logged out from TV for some time. And it still does not work!

'Immediate notification':

In the past it worked very well and I got only one notification per visit to TV. The text attached to the e-mail then was:

There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is

to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Now under 'Immediate notification' I get a notification for every post which can be a lot of mails for heavy duty topics such as this.

The new text attached to the mail notification is:

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply

notifications, you may receive an email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.

This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Is there any chance to set this back to the old system or activate delayed notification to disregard a log-in but notice the actual activity on the board?

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Where do I go to set the function to open in a new window if I click on a link in a post ?

I can't remember how it worked in the old version...?

LaoPo

This is a known issue, links are supposed to open in a new window but they don't right now.

We hope to be able to fix it during the software update next week.

Thanks for the answer Tomat; much appreciated !

LaoPo

I was going crazy trying to use TV with the new software. It mostly worked, but each and every time I changed threads or forums or tried to post, everything was in slow motion. Finally, I could not connect to the forum at all using Explorer.

i decided to try Opera and now everything is at a normal speed. I'm sticking with Opera on this website.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I was going crazy trying to use TV with the new software. It mostly worked, but each and every time I changed threads or forums or tried to post, everything was in slow motion. Finally, I could not connect to the forum at all using Explorer. 

i decided to try Opera and now everything is at a normal speed. I'm sticking with Opera on this website.

Which version of IE are you using. There are issues with IE 7 and the board.

Once again today, your "Today's best Thaivisa topics" newsletter contains all URLs that link to the Forum homepage -- not to the the topic referenced.

Why bother to continue publishing a daily newsletter if you can't fix the links to the newsletter topics? . . . huh.gif

Example:

Thailand Expat Forum (Thaivisa.com) <[email protected]>

Growing Wild Highland Mango

Thailand Forum

Which version of IE are you using.  There are issues with IE 7 and the board.

IE 6. There seem to be issues with that as well. 

Generally now, the change over is good, most things seem to be working now, the migration is done. Nice & clean look! It took a few visits to get use to the new look, but now OK!

But the "Last 10 posts" feature was useful, and would be good to see that back.... 'cos sometimes I forget where I have been!laugh.gif

The new system is working great here on a Mac with FireFox.

One Wish List Suggestion:

I would like to be able to "bookmark" or "add to favorites" topics that I would like to be able to find at a later date quickly. Topics like locations of electronics stores, good visa threads, etc. I don't believe there is a way to do that easily at the moment except to make a reply and then find it in your "My Content". (Search rarely digs them up for me.)

A "My Favorites" would be a great addition, but I know you probably have your hands full at the moment.

SUGGESTION:

In Samui forum

Announcement Samui Members Party.

Posted by Rooo

Can you change the posters name from white.

First I thought....what the heck.....? blink.gif but now I see what you mean...the name of the Mod: Rooo is indeed not visible.

LaoPo

SUGGESTION (maybe)

Is there any way to group all the problems by Browser? Maybe too late for the hundreds already posted, but require that identification on all future posts? Programmers need to know that to know what to fix. It would be easy enough for all TV users to check each browser they use to see the same problem exists on all of them.

For example my post (#195) is only in Firefox. And the REMEMBER ME option works in IE (I use IE 8) and Safari but not in Firefox or Chrome.

If TV wants to be fully "operational" in all browsers, the programmers must need to know which browsers have which problems.

We will get an updated version later this week, and we hope that all reported bugs are fixed.

Thanks all for your input so far!

Cheers :)

Don't know if this has been mentioned so far, but on the forum home page under last posted info is there any chance to switch the time and post title?

I keep having to read the time and then look down at the post topic. I think it'd be easier to have it vice versa.

Cheers.

:D

I am with sorenson, its not easy to use at all Can we get the old format back .Why change somthing that was fine before.

Read the link by PoorSucker above it will explain why it was done and why it will not be reverted back.

• Like 1

Posted an answer on a topic, but when trying to see the follow up I am denied access to that topic with a board message: "[#10344] You do not have permission to view this topic".

Am able to see the preview , first and last message, but no access to the topic in the regular way.

Greetzzzzz

Posted an answer on a topic, but when trying to see the follow up I am denied access to that topic with a board message: "[#10344] You do not have permission to view this topic".

Am able to see the preview , first and last message, but no access to the topic in the regular way.

Greetzzzzz

Carib, can you please give me the link to the topic?

ISSUE:

Profile comments don't seem to be working.... the page flashes green briefly but then nothing happens.

Works as intended. Some members, including me, prefer to moderate the profile comments before they go live. You should get a message that your comment is sent though.