England Supporters Please Abandon Jingoism And Keep To Rational Comment

rott

A few months ago I was saddened to see a much loved and well respected TV chronicler (StevieH no less) say that even though he was born in England he did not regard himself as English, and that this was largely due to the conduct of England football supporters.

This cut me to the quick, and I was consumed with sadness. How many others, I thought, feel the same? He is probably just the tip of the iceberg. How many others reject their heritage due to the antics of a few?

How many others feel no pride at the memory of Crecy and Agincourt? How many do not feel the unity of spirit at the miracle of Dunkirk, do not sympathise with those who suffered in the Blitz?

Do Stevie and his gang not revel in the literature of Chaucer and Shakespeare? Can they not recognise the beautiful prose of the King James Bible?

I could go on, but those with limited attention spans will already be losing the plot.

So it behoves all of us to show restraint alongside our enthusiasm, and by our example possibly Stevie and his lost sheep will return to the fold.

E N G L A N D

The Beating Heart of The Empire

Edited by rott

Nothing wrong with a bit of National pride when your team has reached the finals stage of the World Cup.

I doubt that StevieH was referring to ALL England supporters.

As usual a small minority of people attract a generalised labelling of the masses.

Hear, hear… However, should the situation have presented itself, Henry V on St. Crispin’s day, in Agincourt, blessed by Shakespearian memory might’ve much preferred the latter day pissartist, hooligan and ‘us’ (who simply enjoy a game) battle things out under less violent terms with an inflatable bladder.

Many still much prefer to get Blized, avoid the rott and not think too much about anything until the full time whistle.

I do agree though, behave because we should and support our nations respectfully without shame because we want to.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori,

Maybe Wilf thought he was going to battle with football supporters….

Good Luck England W.C. Football Squad 2010.

quote me right eh please rott? that i don't consider myself really english is due mainly to me being half-irish. the emergence of three lions-wearing bellends in pubs every world cup is annoying yes, but there are idiots in every country on earth, england doesn't have a monopoly on them.

that said, tubthumping god harry and saint george posts like your opening one are the sort of thing that gets on my tits when it comes to football. i don't imagine chaucer and shakespeare were particularly big football fans and there isn't an empire these days old bean

quote me right eh please rott? that i don't consider myself really english is due mainly to me being half-irish. the emergence of three lions-wearing bellends in pubs every world cup is annoying yes, but there are idiots in every country on earth, england doesn't have a monopoly on them.

that said, tubthumping god harry and saint george posts like your opening one are the sort of thing that gets on my tits when it comes to football. i don't imagine chaucer and shakespeare were particularly big football fans and there isn't an empire these days old bean

I seem to remember the Irish being far worse then any nation with their shamrock wearing and drunkenness during football tournaments, and according to Dubliners i know Southern Irish are the most racist people they know.

Id love to know if you travel on your Irish passport or still use your British one, im willing to bet the latter.

I would like to know why is it that you (OP) think it's acceptable to even start a topic like this? You are taking a personal shot a someone on the forum (I am sure you can differentiate between a dig / banter / and personal attack?)

Almighty knows I would be the last one to stand up for a no good, diving scouse like StevieW (haha) but I believe you are way out of line by starting this topic.

If you wanted to touch on this subject - then leave out the personal references to members. Pretty easy to do I imagine.

James, James, James, you disappoint me grievously, personal attack? absolutely no way, it was just a mild piss take and then out of ME not him.

Do you not see the irony between the heading about jingoism and the last line about The Empire, come on chum read it again and try not to miss the point. (<deleted> a few months ago you were suggesting a pint or two!).

I have re-read the thing a few times and do not see how any nastiness can be read into it.

Admittedly when I posted I was full of the jollity that comes from an afternoon session on the Guinness (Mulligans, Cork St., £4 a pint) and having had on the net a few pops at people who know me in the flesh, I turned my attention to TV and thought I would exercise the subtle, wry humour, for which I am justly famous (elsewhere that is).

Come on James buck up, I used to get more sense out of garro ( now that is a personal attack). :)

A few months ago I was saddened to see a much loved and well respected TV chronicler (StevieH no less) say that even though he was born in England he did not regard himself as English, and that this was largely due to the conduct of England football supporters.

This cut me to the quick, and I was consumed with sadness. How many others, I thought, feel the same? He is probably just the tip of the iceberg. How many others reject their heritage due to the antics of a few?

How many others feel no pride at the memory of Crecy and Agincourt? How many do not feel the unity of spirit at the miracle of Dunkirk, do not sympathise with those who suffered in the Blitz?

Do Stevie and his gang not revel in the literature of Chaucer and Shakespeare? Can they not recognise the beautiful prose of the King James Bible?

I could go on, but those with limited attention spans will already be losing the plot.

So it behoves all of us to show restraint alongside our enthusiasm, and by our example possibly Stevie and his lost sheep will return to the fold.

perhaps the answer lies within your statement, ie agincourt dunkirk?? welsh irish and scotsmen gave up their lives also!! its not all about yout,bh most of us non english "brits" wish england well . until you start ramming it down our necks, world cup?? shakespeare??? dunkirk ??jog on ya muppet, ,and if that saddens you , dont ask me twice if i give a fark

E N G L A N D

The Beating Heart of The Empire

James, James, James, you disappoint me grievously, personal attack? absolutely no way, it was just a mild piss take and then out of ME not him.

Do you not see the irony between the heading about jingoism and the last line about The Empire, come on chum read it again and try not to miss the point. (<deleted> a few months ago you were suggesting a pint or two!).

I have re-read the thing a few times and do not see how any nastiness can be read into it.

Admittedly when I posted I was full of the jollity that comes from an afternoon session on the Guinness (Mulligans, Cork St., £4 a pint) and having had on the net a few pops at people who know me in the flesh, I turned my attention to TV and thought I would exercise the subtle, wry humour, for which I am justly famous (elsewhere that is).

Come on James buck up, I used to get more sense out of garro ( now that is a personal attack). :D I clearly been away a long time.

If you are talking about Mulligans that is paralell to Saville Row, the last time i was drinking in there it was only3 quid a pint :)

Edited by carmine

i bought a serbia t-shirt yesterday. :)

Not taken by the snazzy French shirt then? :D

nah, don't do official shirts. managed to find a shop here that has just printed up their own t-shirts with national badges on and nice designs and so on.

Not taken by the snazzy French shirt then? :D

nah, don't do official shirts. managed to find a shop here that has just printed up their own t-shirts with national badges on and nice designs and so on.

Don't believe you Stevie. Your a wind up merchant. Show us a piccie then :D

Come on James buck up, I used to get more sense out of garro ( now that is a personal attack). :D I clearly been away a long time.

If you are talking about Mulligans that is paralell to Saville Row, the last time i was drinking in there it was only3 quid a pint :)

Yes mate, £4 a pint now. bloody cheek but it's that sort of place.

And Stevie with a Serbia shirt, now that is a surprise. But enough said or I'll be getting jumped on again.

Don't believe you Stevie. Your a wind up merchant. Show us a piccie then :D

i'll see if can post one later. need to charge up my camera batteries as i haven't used it for a while.

Just don't wear it on your next holiday to Sarajevo.

i'm hoping to run into a few americans on saturday night and have a go at them about bombing belgrade to shit in 1990. been practising my slavic accent all week.

well anythings got to be better than wearing a liverpool shirt at the moment, i suppose.

certainly with the domestic season having ended and a world cup starting on friday, yes. would look a bit daft wearing a club shirt during an international tournament. like you were senile and had forgotten what month it was.

I used to get more sense out of garro ( now that is a personal attack). :)

Whatever happened to him? A rich and famous author with no time for TV perhaps?

Count yourself lucky rott, all I ever got was, the official party line, rhetoric, dogma, denial and the occasional insult.

rixalex, author? he told me he was doing a job he loved, a teacher.

Anyway, I'm off for a number one today, pop into Tesco/Lotus for a few cases of Stella and watch reruns of The Great Escape and The Italian Job just to get in the mood.

Will heed rotts advice and keep jingoism to a minimum.

well anythings got to be better than wearing a liverpool shirt at the moment, i suppose.

certainly with the domestic season having ended and a world cup starting on friday, yes. would look a bit daft wearing a club shirt during an international tournament. like you were senile and had forgotten what month it was.

shame scousers though cant leave behind the shell suits, curly perms and tashes. plus resist the urge to nick a set of hubcaps at the first availble oppotunity.:D

Edited by tigerfish

shame scousers though cant leave behind the shell suits, curly perms and tashes. plus resist the urge to nick a set of hubcaps at the first availble oppotunity.:D

post-10746-021106300 1276239866_thumb.jp

post-10746-023165500 1276239878_thumb.jp

If we are talking about the same nurse garro then yes, he wrote a book about his life's struggles and got it published.

Seemed like a nice enough chap to me. Shame he has disappeared from TV.

I used to get more sense out of garro ( now that is a personal attack). :)

Whatever happened to him? A rich and famous author with no time for TV perhaps?

Count yourself lucky rott, all I ever got was, the official party line, rhetoric, dogma, denial and the occasional insult.

Anyway, I'm off for a number one today, pop into Tesco/Lotus for a few cases of Stella and watch reruns of The Great Escape and The Italian Job just to get in the mood.

Will heed rotts advice and keep jingoism to a minimum.

I am sure garro was banned.

Nice to see you again rgs, our paths have not crossed fdor a while.