Iphone 4 Discussion

TheLaughingMan

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, Im going to HK for a break anyway this upcoming long weekend....if this weekend the iPhone 4 sold in the official Apple reseller stores in HK (like--"iWorld" or "New Vision") are locked to a particular carrier I might just wait til end of September (or if I cant wait, buy a grey market one at MBK Bangkok, as they seem willing to bargain on the unlocked ones)...

This might come as bad news, but I have already checked everywhere in Hong Kong. The carriers will only sell you one if you take a contract. It's not in stock with any of the retailers (such as Fortress) or Apple authorised retailers, and the HK Apple Store is stating a three week wait. One of the retailers (DG Lifestyle, who also operate the electronic shops in duty free at the airport) said they expected to have stock sometime between the 15th and the 20th, so if you are still around then you might find one.

I think I'm just going to wait until September, if it's true that Thailand will get them then. Keep in mind that iPhone warranties are valid only in the country of purchase. I had a hardware problem with the 3G that I bought in HKG and had to send it up to HKG to get it repaired. You don't even want to hear about all the trouble I had getting in back in to Thailand once Customs picked it off the Fedex line on arrival here. It took ten days to liberate it and 1000 baht payment to Customs. Not that 1000 baht was that bad, but ten days to clear it???

oh well, I try tomorrow or Friday anyway...I will be right there anyway...some authorized sellers are steps away from my hotel as I hear...if not, no biggie, I just might buy a grey market iPhone 4 at MBK when I return next week (if I cant wait for the official launch here)...I bought a grey market iPad 3G 64 gig here in Bangkok (and am REALLY happy I didnt wait...it has come in handy for work many times already)...

Good luck and please report back here if you find someone who has one. I can't wait to get my hands on one as well.

As for me, I think I'd only settle for a factory unlocked grey market one. The hack unlocked ones are just too much trouble when the new software updates come out and break the last unlocking scheme. And then Apple might just come out one day with an update that is totally unlockable.

Im in HK now....have been to eight stores around Kowloon (iWorlds, New Visions, Fortresses and various stand alones)...ALL of them said they will have unlocked iPhone 4s but are not sure exactly the date (end of Sept or Oct etc.) but indicated that there is huge demand and waiting lists etc. They do have iPhone 4 tied to Hutchinson etc. contracts.

I did get to play with an iPhone 4 for a long as I wanted and I do want one....but I think I will root around MBK for an unlocked one or wait a bit longer....

I just had a look at the Apple Store Thailand page for iPhones:

http://store.apple.com/th/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTgxNTgzMzY

And under the iPhone 4, it now says:

iPhone 4 is available in 16G and 32GB

(black).

Last week it said "coming soon".

Tried clicking on the "Find a Store" link and it's "The page you're looking for cannot be found".

Does this mean that iPhone 4 has now been released in Thailand, or is it just some sort of typo or glitch on the Apple Store Thailand site? I can't find any mention of availability on True's site.

(black).

Tried clicking on the "Find a Store" link and it's "The page you're looking for cannot be found".

Does this mean that iPhone 4 has now been released in Thailand, or is it just some sort of typo or glitch on the Apple Store Thailand site? I can't find any mention of availability on True's site.

no, the iPhone 4 is not yet released in Thailand....they are just setting up the local website to include the iPhone 4 (which is rumored to launch in Thailand in the last quarter of this year)....

Anybody know if they sell iphone 4 bumper and screen protector in MBK?

yeah, I saw the bumpers (and all kinds of cases) for the iPhone 4 at MBK...not sure about the screen protectors (but would be VERY surprised if none of those counter shops had them)....

(black).

no, the iPhone 4 is not yet released in Thailand....they are just setting up the local website to include the iPhone 4 (which is rumored to launch in Thailand in the last quarter of this year)....

OK, guess you are more informed than I. The notation that it's "available" wasn't there last week when I checked. I didn't know they were "just setting up the local website".

(black).

OK, guess you are more informed than I. The notation that it's "available" wasn't there last week when I checked. I didn't know they were "just setting up the local website".

the local website has been in existence for awhile...what I meant was that they are just setting up (in advance) references to the iPhone 4 on the local website....I thought that was understood....

the iPhone 4 is not yet officially released ("available") in Thailand, but grey market iPhones are on sale at MBK (and FortuneTown) and probably other locations...

(BTW, wow, surprised by your snarky response...I was only trying to help by answering your question...will know better to ignore your questions in future)

Edited by trajan

(black).

the local website has been in existence for awhile...what I meant was that they are just setting up (in advance) references to the iPhone 4 on the local website....I thought that was understood....

the iPhone 4 is not yet officially released ("available") in Thailand, but grey market iPhones are on sale at MBK (and FortuneTown) and probably other locations...

(BTW, wow, surprised by your snarky response...I was only trying to help by answering your question...will know better to ignore your questions in future)

Yes, the iPhone 4 has indeed been there nearly since the introduction of the iPhone, Sometime since last Friday, it added the phrase iPhone 4 is available in 16GB and 32GB (black). Looks like maybe you found that and edited out "where does it say the iPhone 4 is "available" in Thailand?" from your post.

I guess we all know that iPhone 4 has not yet been officially released in Thailand and that one can purchase grey market 4s, but I thought it was interesting that Apple added the "available" bit to their iPhone page sometime since last Friday. No idea why, except maybe it will be released soon. Didn't mean to be snarky, but since you knew Apple were "just setting up the local website", then you know more than I!

Yes, the iPhone 4 has indeed been there nearly since the introduction of the iPhone, Sometime since last Friday, it added the phrase iPhone 4 is available in 16GB and 32GB (black). Looks like maybe you found that and edited out "where does it say the iPhone 4 is "available" in Thailand?" from your post.

I guess we all know that iPhone 4 has not yet been officially released in Thailand and that one can purchase grey market 4s, but I thought it was interesting that Apple added the "available" bit to their iPhone page sometime since last Friday. No idea why, except maybe it will be released soon. Didn't mean to be snarky, but since you knew Apple were "just setting up the local website", then you know more than I!

Yes, I just notice that from the apple.th

What's more interesting that in S.Korea, they have the pre-order beginning today. Aug. 18

And their apple.kr shows iPhone 4 is available in 16GB and 32GB (black)

I hope this indicate that Thailand is not too far from the official sales.

Question: If i buy an iPhone 4 from the Singapore Apple store (and have it shipped to an address in SG) - is that model going to be unlocked, i.e. can i bring it back to Thailand and use it on a Thai Mobile network wit ha Thai SIM?

Question: If i buy an iPhone 4 from the Singapore Apple store (and have it shipped to an address in SG) - is that model going to be unlocked, i.e. can i bring it back to Thailand and use it on a Thai Mobile network wit ha Thai SIM?

hi Singapore iphones are all unlocked. You can use any operator's sim card on it.

Pantip Plaza got them too. 32GB from Apple US. Unlocked. 35k THB

They also have a tool which they use to cut your SIM card into a Micro SIM card.

Looked a bit like the one you using to cut your nails.

Also accept all kind of Credit Cards.

Will buy it in the next days.

Nice

Edited by Lammbock

Pantip Plaza got them too. 32GB from Apple US. Unlocked. 35k THB

They also have a tool which they use to cut your SIM card into a Micro SIM card.

Looked a bit like the one you using to cut your nails.

Also accept all kind of Credit Cards.

Will buy it in the next days.

Nice

Just keep in mind that iPhones from USA are not factory unlocked, but rather unlocked through a hack. Apple are always working on breaking the unlocks with software updates and you may one day find that you have a brick if you update your firmware. Also, 35K is very expensive. You can get a truly factory unlocked 32G iPhone 4 in Hong Kong for 23K. I'm hearing that some shops there are beginning to have stock as well. If they do, for a 12000 baht savings, you could fly to HKG on a cheap ticket, buy a real factory unlocked one and fly back home to BKK and still save money. or bring back a second one and sell it here for more savings! I spoke with the DG Lifestyle shop last week at HKG airport and they were expecting stock any day now. If you want to give them a call and see if they have them now, the number is +852 2769 1288

@Buuba:

Thanks, BUT....

The ones at Pantip are from Apple USA. NOT AT&T! They are Factory unlocked.

Why i should fly to HK? 23K + 7k for Ticket incl. Tax.

Difference just 5k

NOT considered Hotel and Food ect.

Edited by Lammbock

@Buuba:

Thanks, BUT....

Difference just 5k

Do check apple usa website. They only sell locked phones configured to work with AT&T. I suppose the shop at pantip will unlock it. But you will not be able to update to the latest firmware.

@Buuba:

Thanks, BUT....

Difference just 5k

Not sure where you got the 5K difference from. They are 23K n HKG and 35K here right? I was just thinking of taking a flight up to HKG, buying the iPhone at the airport DG lifestyle shop and flying back. No hotel, etc. And the most important part: you would have a genuine factory unlocked iPhone.

As the other posted stated: ALL iPhones sold in the USA are locked to ATT. Don't let anyone at MBK tell you otherwise.

From a friend who was just in BKK: MBK now buys iPhone 4 for 26k and sells for 29k.

Buying iPhone 3GS (in perfect condition) for 15k.

My iPhone 4s have arrived, currently in the process to set up the micro Sims - I had forgotten about that. DTAC swaps your DTAC postpaid SIM for a micro SIM free of charge. True Move charges a whopping 49 baht for the same service.

Annoying detail: iPhone 4 requires OS X 10.5.8 or higher. Doesn't work with my wife's iBook which is OS X 10.4. Grrrrr. THANKS A LOT, Apple! Normally that's a $100 upgrade. I have a 10.5 disk lying around and not using the license, so I can do that. But still. Why? New iTunes isn't good enough, at least not on the Mac. Restored on my MacBook Pro for now.

Also kind of strange is how glitchy the whole activate/restore process is. There are buttons that don't react in iTunes. The iPhone at one point looks like it's crashed. When it restarts after the restore, it again appears as "new iPhone, waiting to be synced for the first time". So my tip is: Click the required buttons, and have patience. It all works out in the end. It's a bit of a bumpy road though.

Edited by nikster

From a friend who was just in BKK: MBK now buys iPhone 4 for 26k and sells for 29k.

Buying iPhone 3GS (in perfect condition) for 15k.

My iPhone 4s have arrived, currently in the process to set up the micro Sims - I had forgotten about that. DTAC swaps your DTAC postpaid SIM for a micro SIM free of charge. True Move charges a whopping 49 baht for the same service.

Annoying detail: iPhone 4 requires OS X 10.5.8 or higher. Doesn't work with my wife's iBook which is OS X 10.4. Grrrrr. THANKS A LOT, Apple! Normally that's a $100 upgrade. I have a 10.5 disk lying around and not using the license, so I can do that. But still. Why? New iTunes isn't good enough, at least not on the Mac.

Nikster- Do you know whether the 29K at MBK gets you a 16 or a 23GB iPhone 4? Also, do you know whether they are factory unlocked, or USA-origin hack unlocked?

Nikster- Do you know whether the 29K at MBK gets you a 16 or a 23GB iPhone 4? Also, do you know whether they are factory unlocked, or USA-origin hack unlocked?

16GB. I'd think they are factory unlocked.There was only a pretty short time window when it was even possible to get iPhone 4s and unlock them. With the latest firmware it's again impossible.

Note that the official price from Apple in HK is an incredible 20,500 baht for factory unlocked iPhone 4. Direct from Apple! 3 week wait at the moment, just like anywhere else in the world, but the HK price is the cheapest world wide. That's got to influence prices in Thailand.

See http://store.apple.com/hk

I am making a U-Turn on the antenna issue. It's real.

I had the iPhone 4 for 2 days now, and I hardly make calls, so today I make call number 5 or so on my brand new iPhone 4. And it drops. I have gone years without dropping a call. I think I "held it the wrong way". So that's pretty ridiculous, and first thing when I get home I will put the bumper on.

The iPhone 4 is still amazing. With the bumper it looks not nearly as nice as naked - but it still looks better than the 3GS even with bumper on. I compared it today with some friend's 3GS iPhones and the iPhone 4 has the effect of making the older models look really old. The 3GS looks fine, but put it beside a 4 and it looks like it's the version from 5 years ago.

But... yes, there is an antenna issue. Clearly.

Facetime I tried only once, in the house, but it lived up to expectations. This isn't your awkward "video calling" from yesteryear. This is video calling at its full potential. Gorgeous quality. Seamless usability. You don't have to talk into a mic, or have headphones on - it just works, like in Star Trek. And the fact that you look into the other's eyes makes this perfect for sex calls much more personal conversations. It's a huge difference to skype etc.

Edited by nikster