Iphone 4 Discussion

TheLaughingMan

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ the price for being the first... for a month or so... :D

Lol. But I'll give it a few days to go down fast. The sellers know that with those prices, nobody's gonna bite (except probably the rich bangkokians who are clueless lol).

It will continue to go down a few days at a time like the 3G iPad prices. 3 weeks is probably the sweet spot for those that wanna buy soon. A month and a half and the prices will be near Singapore Apple store prices.

Shame about the 3 week ship time worldwide from Apple now. Wonder if thats due to demand or hardware modification... :)

1.7 million sold at launch should provide a clue to that... how fast can you make iPhones? :)

It looks like Apple planned to get the iPhone out internationally very quickly this time, but very high demand probably prevents them from doing so right now.

I think the 50-65k price range at MBK will be around for sometime until they get more stock.

Have not checked yet but will next week that it will be cheaper to get Air Asia flight to Hong Kong taxi to mongkok sincere podium taxi back to the airport get the return flight same day and still save 10k over the MBK price :)

Prices I got today from MBK:

UK sourced factory unlocked:

16GB 55,000

32GB 65,000

Enjoy! :)

I also asked a Thai friend to call some shops a few minutes ago. You're right. Those prices are the norm, and give or take a thousand or two for discount.

Let the waiting begin. :)

16GB 55,000

32GB 65,000

I also asked a Thai friend to call some shops a few minutes ago. You're right. Those prices are the norm, and give or take a thousand or two for discount.

give it 6 months when the 'face' to be gained while sporting one of these while bobbing your hair back and forth at Emporium wears off - prices will drop quickly.

16GB 55,000

32GB 65,000

give it 6 months when the 'face' to be gained while sporting one of these while bobbing your hair back and forth at Emporium wears off - prices will drop quickly.

lol 6 months and rumors of the iPhone 5 will be around. Anyway, with the price of the 32gb, you can buy a 15 inch Macbook Pro i5 with the Educator's discount and even have money left for Kobe steak. :D

I don't think we need to wait 6 month but around 2 - 3 weeks for sure.

He's just exaggerating and joking around. 

Yes I was kidding.

But this I kid you not, one of the staff pipes up and says anybody know when the IP4 will be available. I asked her why she wanted it. She replied I don't why.

But this I kid you not, one of the staff pipes up and says anybody know when the IP4 will be available. I asked her why she wanted it. She replied I don't why.

Thanks for sharing. There's also this local here working at Siam C Bank who made it a point to display his Nexus One around. He mentioned he liked it better than iPhones. When I asked him why, he said "mai roo".

http://www.kcrlegal.com/KCR-speaks-about-iPhone-4-lawsuit.aspx

Also i see that apple is looking for antenna engineers, 4 people. :whistling:

The plot thickens...

Here's the best article I read about this so far. I believe that there's something about body conductivity that Apple missed, and missed again because all their models that they tested "out in the wild" were disguised as 3GSs and therefore... in a case!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

Conclusion by Anandtech: Antenna problem is real, depends on basically how sweaty your hands are. At the same time, the iPhone 4 has much better reception than the 3GS. And a bumper takes care of the problem.

They also explain the signal drop experience and the difficulty testing this. It's basically like this: if you have good reception, you won't lose any bars. If you have bad reception (less than 5 bars) you will lose _all_ bars. They gradually disappear because of the smoothing used in the display, not because the signal disappears gradually.

53,000 baht LOL I thought i was maybe guessing a little high thinking it would be just above an iPad 3G. So yeah it will be a long wait before it is anywhere near a sane price.

At this point, its wise to have someone from UK sell you one. Or you can wait for the official Apple Store in LOS to have them and hopefully all the Proximity Sensor bugs are sorted out on the next production batches.

Cheap to build expensive to buy

http://www.isuppli.c...to-iSuppli.aspx

Material costs; not developments costs.

Besides, buy (more) Apple shares yourself ? You will benefit than also :rolleyes:

Don't know if you have a Harley Davidson but don't you think the builders of the famous bike deserve to have the same kind of profit Apple does ? :lol:

Apart from that, you would be surprised how much the product cost you will buy in any shop, worldwide, made in China. The lowest profit is on the Chinese side, the largest profits are on the buyers' side and shops who actually sell the products.

In fashion a mark up of buying price x 2,5 is normal; meaning you buy the product for 10, it's sold for 25.

LaoPo

Another interesting take on the reception bug: A guy tested 20 phones in a shop, and found that 4 of them showed the problem, whereas 16 did not!

Source (in the comments)

I did a test at the apple store using the 20 display iPhone 4′s. What I found is that 16 of the 20 demo units DID NOT suffer from the “death grip” no matter how long I held them. Those 16 iPhones stayed at 5 bars! 4 of them did drop signal to 1 bar. These 20 phones all share the same technical, geographic and environmental influences. This could easily be something software related to how the phone fails to hand off to the stronger signal tower allowing the bars to drop. That would explain why 16 of the 20 worked perfectly even thought the antenna was bridged. Or, you could argue that there was a manufacturing or component defect in those 4 phones that did drop the signal making it a hardware issue. Either way, I argue that this does not point to a design flaw in the antenna as that would indicate an unforeseen problem that I am pretty sure Apple understood very clearly when they began designing the iPhone4. Apple simply chose to engineer past this physics issue and use a combination of software and design to mitigate the physics challenge as much as possible. It was a trade off so-to-speak, but the unintended part was most likely how the protocol handshaking would happen in the real world between the multiple cell towers or how a component reliability would play into the manufacturing side. Keep in mind, most people have not had the “death grip” problem and my test supports that even in the same conditions 80% of the phones show no problem. Apple needs to address the 20% that do, but they will and they are.

To me, this whole thing is a non-issue. I am going to get a bumper. A bumper-less iPhone 4 is even more gorgeous than one with bumper, but if a bumper is what's required to make reception good, then it's still a really amazing phone. To me the whole issue comes down to this: I have to pay $30 more, and I have to put a bumper on the phone. Regrettable, yes. But not a big deal.

Edited by nikster

Another interesting take on the reception bug: A guy tested 20 phones in a shop, and found that 4 of them showed the problem, whereas 16 did not!

To me, this whole thing is a non-issue. I am going to get a bumper. A bumper-less iPhone 4 is even more gorgeous than one with bumper, but if a bumper is what's required to make reception good, then it's still a really amazing phone. To me the whole issue comes down to this: I have to pay $30 more, and I have to put a bumper on the phone. Regrettable, yes. But not a big deal.

Yep. I'm hoping to get lucky that mine wont have that death grip issue since I'm not really into using cases for my 3GS. On the event that it does have this problem, then a case would be fine. I'm hoping though not to be plagued by the proximity sensor bug. Now that will be a nightmare especially if can't be addressed by a reset.