Iphone 4 Discussion

TheLaughingMan

I'm going to HK for the (Thai) Queens birthday holidays (Aug 12-15).... I am told that in HK I can buy an unlocked iPhone 4 (32GB) for Baht 25,000....is that right? And can I just go into any resellers shop in HK? Thanks!

Edited by trajan

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. Apparently HK and Singapore have the cheapest prices currently. Although you'll have to wait a bit for stocks to finally have ample supply over the demands. A friend got my 32gb in Singapore (pre-ordered online)  this weekend. List prices in the SG Apple Store:

16gb - S$ 888 (21,125 baht)

32gb - S$ 1,048 (24,930 baht)

HK prices are even cheaper by a few dollars.

Here's a good chart of prices from different countries via AppAdvice:

Unlocked iPhone 4 Global Prices

Got one in MBK, 16Go unlocked (from HK).

45 kbht, the best price whereever you go in MBK.

Spend 4 hours to deal and negociate. Prices starts at 65k in some crazy shops!

For those prices you can make a visa trip to almost any country in the world to pick up an Iphone and still save some money.

why is everyone paying 600-800 gbp for a 3g phone to use in a country that does not even have 3g coverage ,i was in uk couple of weeks ago bought a mint condition 2g phone for 6000 bht now thats a bargain :rolleyes:

would i pay 600 quid for a phone no f ing way crazy people

Edited by taninthai

why is everyone paying 600-800 gbp for a 3g phone to use in a country that does not even have 3g coverage ,i was in uk couple of weeks ago bought a mint condition 2g phone for 6000 bht now thats a bargain :rolleyes:

Oh I don't know, I am using 3G every day in Chiang Mai, it works very well, thankyouverymuch. True 3G. I have unlimited usage, and tethering to the computer, and use it for work most days. Download speeds 100KB/s - 300KB/s, in good locations 500KB/s (5 Mbit!!). I have 3G reception anywhere in CM.

Then there's other advantages of course - the 3GS/ i4 are way faster, etc. .

I still think that an iPhone 2G for 6000 baht is the best phone you can get for that price though, so yeah, it is a bargain :)

Edited by nikster

at MBK. they quoted a price of Baht 32,000 for an iPhone 4 (32 Gig)....they were willing to bargain, but Im going to HK on Thursday so will check out the prices/availability there.....

Good to see prices are coming down to reasonable levels. They'll drop more though, let us know about availability in HK, prices in HK are the best in the world, plus it's officially available from Apple there.

Right now IPhone 4 is only available with Three.com So it is like AT&T. Mean is locked.

IPhone 4 unlocked will be available mid September in the Apple Stores around and in Hong Kong.

For example the one at Kowloon Park.

This informations are out of first hand. I send my buddy in HK to get me one IPhone 4 and he gave me those information.

Best Regards,

Lammbock

Edited by Lammbock

thanks, Im going to HK for a break anyway this upcoming long weekend....if this weekend the iPhone 4 sold in the official Apple reseller stores in HK (like--"iWorld" or "New Vision") are locked to a particular carrier I might just wait til end of September (or if I cant wait, buy a grey market one at MBK Bangkok, as they seem willing to bargain on the unlocked ones)...

thanks, Im going to HK for a break anyway this upcoming long weekend....if this weekend the iPhone 4 sold in the official Apple reseller stores in HK (like--"iWorld" or "New Vision") are locked to a particular carrier I might just wait til end of September (or if I cant wait, buy a grey market one at MBK Bangkok, as they seem willing to bargain on the unlocked ones)...

Warning: You need to be very careful right now buying from grey dealers. A jailbreak for the iPhone 4 and an unlock have just been released. It won't work for very long as Apple's already prepping a new release but this means there will be a short window of time where people can sell factory locked iPhones in the grey market. Those will only work until the next update. Of course you can choose not to update to keep your jailbreak phone running but it's a pain and not worth it.

Buyer beware!! Check if an iPhone 4 has Cydia installed, and if so, don't buy it.

thanks! Yes, I would definitely check if they jailbroke the iPhone 4...

[incidentially, when I bought my iPad, they jailbroke it (without me asking) after wrapping the original package (and I had a Cydia app button as a consequence), but I noticed that after I upgraded the iPad operating software (after a routine sync with iTunes) it (the Cydia app) disappeared......]

This might come as bad news, but I have already checked everywhere in Hong Kong. The carriers will only sell you one if you take a contract. It's not in stock with any of the retailers (such as Fortress) or Apple authorised retailers, and the HK Apple Store is stating a three week wait. One of the retailers (DG Lifestyle, who also operate the electronic shops in duty free at the airport) said they expected to have stock sometime between the 15th and the 20th, so if you are still around then you might find one.

I think I'm just going to wait until September, if it's true that Thailand will get them then. Keep in mind that iPhone warranties are valid only in the country of purchase. I had a hardware problem with the 3G that I bought in HKG and had to send it up to HKG to get it repaired. You don't even want to hear about all the trouble I had getting in back in to Thailand once Customs picked it off the Fedex line on arrival here. It took ten days to liberate it and 1000 baht payment to Customs. Not that 1000 baht was that bad, but ten days to clear it???

thanks! Yes, I would definitely check if they jailbroke the iPhone 4...

[incidentially, when I bought my iPad, they jailbroke it (without me asking) after wrapping the original package (and I had a Cydia app button as a consequence), but I noticed that after I upgraded the iPad operating software (after a routine sync with iTunes) it (the Cydia app) disappeared......]

No big deal on an iPad since iPads are never carrier locked. So you lose your jailbreak when you upgrade, OK. On an iPhone, you might lose the ability to make calls as the phone re-locks.

"at MBK. they quoted a price of Baht 32,000 for an iPhone 4..."

"Good to see prices are coming down to reasonable levels."

$1000US for an iPhone 4 is not reasonable.

is US$750 reasonable?

for the iPhone 4 (32 gig) the official Apple store in HK is quoting about B24,000 [ http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI ]

in Bangkok, the grey market price for the iPhone 4 (32 gig) is now about B32,000 (before negotiations) but might come down to about B29,000 after negotiations....

if I cant get an iPhone in HK (without contract), then I might buy the grey market one in Bangkok as the price difference is narrowing alot now....

(or wait until they officially have them (I mean actually in your hand from an iStudio or True Urban etc. store) in Bangkok, but that might be a long time--months)

This might come as bad news, but I have already checked everywhere in Hong Kong. The carriers will only sell you one if you take a contract. It's not in stock with any of the retailers (such as Fortress) or Apple authorised retailers, and the HK Apple Store is stating a three week wait. One of the retailers (DG Lifestyle, who also operate the electronic shops in duty free at the airport) said they expected to have stock sometime between the 15th and the 20th, so if you are still around then you might find one.

I think I'm just going to wait until September, if it's true that Thailand will get them then. Keep in mind that iPhone warranties are valid only in the country of purchase. I had a hardware problem with the 3G that I bought in HKG and had to send it up to HKG to get it repaired. You don't even want to hear about all the trouble I had getting in back in to Thailand once Customs picked it off the Fedex line on arrival here. It took ten days to liberate it and 1000 baht payment to Customs. Not that 1000 baht was that bad, but ten days to clear it???

oh well, I try tomorrow or Friday anyway...I will be right there anyway...some authorized sellers are steps away from my hotel as I hear...if not, no biggie, I just might buy a grey market iPhone 4 at MBK when I return next week (if I cant wait for the official launch here)...I bought a grey market iPad 3G 64 gig here in Bangkok (and am REALLY happy I didnt wait...it has come in handy for work many times already)...

oh well, I try tomorrow or Friday anyway...I will be right there anyway...some authorized sellers are steps away from my hotel as I hear...if not, no biggie, I just might buy a grey market iPhone 4 at MBK when I return next week (if I cant wait for the official launch here)...I bought a grey market iPad 3G 64 gig here in Bangkok (and am REALLY happy I didnt wait...it has come in handy for work many times already)...

Good luck and please report back here if you find someone who has one. I can't wait to get my hands on one as well.

As for me, I think I'd only settle for a factory unlocked grey market one. The hack unlocked ones are just too much trouble when the new software updates come out and break the last unlocking scheme. And then Apple might just come out one day with an update that is totally unlockable.

Good luck and please report back here if you find someone who has one. I can't wait to get my hands on one as well.

As for me, I think I'd only settle for a factory unlocked grey market one. The hack unlocked ones are just too much trouble when the new software updates come out and break the last unlocking scheme. And then Apple might just come out one day with an update that is totally unlockable.

yes, I hear you....I would only buy a grey market one if its already unlocked (i.e., without the Cydia app as I understand)....anyway, in the small chance I find one (without phone contract and unlocked) in HK I'll report back......I very briefly saw one at MBK and the retina scan display is STELLAR!

"is US$750 reasonable?"

More reasonable than $1000, yes. In early-January, 2011, you'll find iPhone4s on Craigslist for $400. Patience is a virtue.

Somehow I sort of doubt that price for a new one in January. Best price for a factory unlocked iPhone 4 right now is in Hong Kong, at US$640, and they aren't even available at retailers yet, with the Apple Store quoting a three week delivery time. Who knows when they will be available in Thailand. I've heard September mentioned, but not sure how likely that will be now.

I have 2 iPhones coming from the UK. Might sell one or both depending on the street price in a week or so. I might also keep both. Then I can facetime with the wife, so that would be cool for when I am in the USA. $750 is a good price, that's less than I paid direct from Apple in the UK. Clearly when they're available in HK that will be the cheapest world-wide.

I imagine True Thailand might lower its price to be within a few 1000 baht of the HK price - otherwise the grey market dealers will be able to offer iPhones much cheaper than True, I am sure they'll want to prevent that. Getting phones from HK into Thailand is too easy.

True is funny, they keep sending me emails about the iPhone 4. Each email contains a link to the True website, where they advertise the features of the iPhone 4. The only thing that's missing is a release date, and a price.

Base price for an iPhone 4 in Hong Kong works out to USD$640 (HKD$4988). That's even better than $750!

Here's a link:

http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Yes, it's still showing a three week delivery.

From what I have seen, Apple seems to price everything about the same throughout Asia, with prices in local currency that are roughly the same as US prices.

At last I received my unlocked Iphone 4.

Currently I have a pre paid phone number from one-2-call.

I would like to keep my pre card system and my own number when I start to use the Iphone.

I believe I have a few options.

First just cut my current sim card to the micro sim size and use it in the Iphone.

Or go to AIS and ask for the micro sim with my own number.

I also saw that AIS has the unlimited Blackbarry 3G package and this would be perfect for me.

But I hear that you only get the Blackbarry package if you show them your Blackbarry !

Does anybody has some advise for me.

Basically I would like to keep my number with pre paid system and some kind of unlimited ( or high usage amount ) 3G usage for my Iphone.

Hi

You dont need to show anything, just ask for BB, i am on BB with iphone and they never asked to see it

Hi HDRIDER

Thanks for the info.

did you go to the AIS shop in phuket town behind Robbinson. ( i believe that is the head AIS shop )