The Cheap Euro Equals Cheap European Holidays - Doesn't It?

webfact

hey jimi , why do you say ubc sucks ?? i just signed up for it !! YIKES !!sad.gif

On the old system the picture quality is pisspoor and the programming equally so.

This year they have finally got around to bringing out HD, but, of course, you have pay an extra few hundred Baht for two channels of HD. But the programming is still crap, and apparently the normal channels get stretched to fit widescreen, but maybe there is a way to destretch them.

So if you like to watch endless hours of fartball and ice hockey, then the HD will be OK. Although I have read that the commentary for the World Fartball Cup is in Thai.mad.gif

But I am not spending 2,000 Baht/month for the level of service that UBC puts out.

I can see it now, hordes of Thais trampling through Europe: 'See all of Europe in only 5 Days', complaining about expensive cancellation fees: 'I had to pay 50 euros to change a flight', searching for authentic Thai food ('Cannot live without Somtam.') in Hamburg and Venice... tongue.gif

I can see it now, hordes of Thais trampling through Europe: 'See all of Europe in only 5 Days',

laugh.gif..yes, and all the EU Embassies will be thrilled seeing the masses of Thai, standing in line to get a Visa....increasing their staff, handing out Visa..........whistling.gif

LaoPo

You may be correct. Thailand has been way over priced, for what you get. The infrastructure is a joke. How many times does my power go out? Almost every time there's a gust of wind. Cars are more way more expensive, the internet sucks, so does UBC! Plus all the ugly, cheaply built houses and "resorts." Bangkok, I try to avoid the place, especially now. Maybe I'm in a bad mood or I just am getting sick of the ineptness of the corporations, government and xenophobia... I think my rant is over now? Hum, not sure....

Really, for what you pay I think that Thailand is one of the best deals around.

Infrastructure

1. The roads work

2. The electricity works 99.99% of the time

3. Agreed the water supply is in the dry season a bit feeble, but a storage tank fixes that

4. You can eat any time of the day or night

5. International standard hospitals

6. Excellent and user friendly banking system

7. International travel, easy flights to just about anywhere.

8. Internal travel, good system of buses and a reasonable offering of flights.

UBC sucks, can't argue with that. Absolute crap service and far too expensive, hasn't improved in a decade. It is one reason why I can't see the point in buying a decent LCD TV.

Imported cars are more expensive, but pick-ups are not, small motorcycles are very cheap compared to even Malaysia, Kawasaki offer since 18 months a nice range of well priced models.

The internet runs great around here. Change your provider if you have an issue. And if you live out in the boonies, then don't expect the same level of service

Can't argue with the cheaply built houses but they are also sold cheap. The UK has a large stock of cheaply built houses and so does the US of A, and there you pay a fortune for squit all.

Ineptness of the corporations, government

Well, compared to the US, UK, Greece, Spain, Italy, Ireland etc., I think that the Thai government is doing a great job.

And maybe you hadn't noticed, but the economy of Thailand is also doing well, so the companies must also be doing something right.

Bangkok is a bit much, but everything is available and I never feel threatened walking around anywhere in Thailand, except maybe Patters, where the marauding bands of Euro-Trash-Pissheads make me feel uncomfortable.

But, take another closer look at the grass on the other side of the fence. I have, and it's much greener this side.

I moved to Thailand in late December 2009 - but have travelled around the country extensively in the past couple of years while here on holiday - and I have to agree with you on all points except the "excellent" banking system here. I cann't for the life of me understand the banks here... policies change from branch to branch, employee to employee on a daily basis. I can use online banking for my BAHT account but NOT for my Euro and US$ accounts... etc. the list of short falls with Thai banks are too many to list here.

Otherwise I think you summed it up perfectly.

Sorry never lived in UK so really can not comment on taxes and everything else and i hope you realize not everyone living in Thailand comes from UK, there are other country's in the world that have beaches and mountains

I've lived in several countries, but nowhere as nice and affordable as Thailand

"You have never been treated with disrespect"??? Where do you live on deserted land?

As a foreigner you get disrespected the moment you step off the plane, but

Anyhow this is not what this tread is about :)

Now that has got me reflecting. And I think it would take me quite a long time to try and put it all together.

However, I also went through that phase, basically, I think, in my newbie days by being poisoned by a few "old hands" who came out with such statements, and I sort of correlated them to my experiences and looked for reinforcements.

Now I believe that if you try to fit in, make an effort to speak Thai, treat people with respect and understand and respect the Thai way of doing things, then you will be respected. Respect has to be earned.

There are, however, a substantial number of foreign visitors who think they are superior by birthright and go around behaving so. Insisting on their "rights", walking around in supermarkets wearing Speedo's and no shirts, shouting, getting drunk in public, and constantly complaining about this, that and the other because in Farangland things worked differently, so why aren't the Thais the same.

As an example, there was a European shouting at my Bangkok Bank manager, a very nice and helpful lady, because a transfer he had made did not go through on time. It was not her fault, and he was obviously frustrated because he had to speak in English, not his native language and she could hardly understand him, even though she speaks quite good English, probably better than he could.

I have travelled pretty much all over Thailand, and have met a whole lot of very nice people, the vast majority of whom will go out of their way to be very helpful. The areas where I meet the "disrespect" you are talking about are in the main tourist areas of BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. And if you observe the behaviour of some of the tourists there, you'll begin to see why. They simply do not deserve respect.

And in those areas we are all unfortunately all lumped into the same pot.

100% agree with you! I've never experienced any form of disrespect here in Thailand (with one exception, a drunk Thai on his motor bike - but that was a once off). Just respect them and they'll respect us. Very easy really. Personally I think you're wasting your time trying to explain this to the other geezer...

"""Well, compared to the US, UK, Greece, Spain, Italy, Ireland etc., I think that the Thai government is doing a great job."" I fancy imagining Sarkozy's big mouthed govt, including foreign affair's Kouchner , suddenly transplanted in BKK and having to deal with the situation including the border 'disputes' and friendly China ; bet they'd tone down their humanitarian rhetorics .

BTW it's Sarko who talked Merkel into bailing Greece out, thus infuriating the hard-working German electorate ( the French have had so much they don't even feel the pain and won't react at paying for the Greek) only reason I can think of is Obama made him sink the euro by sending advisors pretending it would help exports .

The Thaï tourists I see in France care for twelve euros less than me for 1200 bahts

NoFrench I know speaks of any travel abroad whatsoever this year.

Bonsoir,

Yes, Westerners would have had a totally different approach.

Any Thai tourists you meet abroad are not short of the odd Euro or Baht. There are some very very wealthy Thais around, and, when they go travelling they are not shy in spending the money.

The cause and effect of the rapid depreciation of the Euro is something that I am trying to understand. Maybe the great US of A did not want to lose their source of deficit funding, so targeting the main competition namely the EUR through the rating agencies and GS& Co seems to have resulted in a massive flow of cash to US treasuries. But certainly the exporters from Europe will benefit from the falling Euro. Although in the end, once inflation has been imported through the devalued currency and, as you point out, the now increasingly expensive foreign holidays for the Europeans, who will benefit in the end?

"""resulted in a massive flow of cash to US treasuries"""

ratree sawat 12drinkmore, the way I see it , finance ministers all like kids in the school yard exchanging IOU s for million of dollars when in fact it's all about a bag of marbles for a pack of chewing gum.

this cash they imagine flow massively just - doesn't - exist .

billions of euro bills were printed in the years following the conversion with absolutely no economic ground whatsoever . It didn't correspond to the cash there used to be in national currencies ; they talked about " ATM s needing to be kept loaded " or " the bakers need more 2 euros coins for change " and technicals like this, then it was quickly forgotten .

it's all a bluff .The amount of lies they fed us for years inside the euro zone is revolting .Like " going back would mean living in economic isolation" , when everybody knows the UK don't have the euro and aren't living in dire autarcy . In fact when the stock exchange were at full tilt, London made much better than Paris.

Merkel has just scolded Sarko but what about we don't know.

chok dee na

Sorry never lived in UK so really can not comment on taxes and everything else and i hope you realize not everyone living in Thailand comes from UK, there are other country's in the world that have beaches and mountains

I've lived in several countries, but nowhere as nice and affordable as Thailand

"You have never been treated with disrespect"??? Where do you live on deserted land?

As a foreigner you get disrespected the moment you step off the plane, but

Anyhow this is not what this tread is about :)

Now that has got me reflecting. And I think it would take me quite a long time to try and put it all together.

However, I also went through that phase, basically, I think, in my newbie days by being poisoned by a few "old hands" who came out with such statements, and I sort of correlated them to my experiences and looked for reinforcements.

Now I believe that if you try to fit in, make an effort to speak Thai, treat people with respect and understand and respect the Thai way of doing things, then you will be respected. Respect has to be earned.

There are, however, a substantial number of foreign visitors who think they are superior by birthright and go around behaving so. Insisting on their "rights", walking around in supermarkets wearing Speedo's and no shirts, shouting, getting drunk in public, and constantly complaining about this, that and the other because in Farangland things worked differently, so why aren't the Thais the same.

As an example, there was a European shouting at my Bangkok Bank manager, a very nice and helpful lady, because a transfer he had made did not go through on time. It was not her fault, and he was obviously frustrated because he had to speak in English, not his native language and she could hardly understand him, even though she speaks quite good English, probably better than he could.

I have travelled pretty much all over Thailand, and have met a whole lot of very nice people, the vast majority of whom will go out of their way to be very helpful. The areas where I meet the "disrespect" you are talking about are in the main tourist areas of BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. And if you observe the behaviour of some of the tourists there, you'll begin to see why. They simply do not deserve respect.

And in those areas we are all unfortunately all lumped into the same pot.

100% agree with you! I've never experienced any form of disrespect here in Thailand (with one exception, a drunk Thai on his motor bike - but that was a once off). Just respect them and they'll respect us. Very easy really. Personally I think you're wasting your time trying to explain this to the other geezer...

Oh boy, OPEN your eyes and come back to reality

I suppose points below are not disrespect but a country policy or may be in your opinion and past experience perfectly respectful

1. Double pricing

2. 25% higher price when buying a condo(minimum)

3. Foreigner always wrong , especially when it comes to car accidents

4. Being called an allien at immigration office or airport

5. Non welcoming visa rules with ridiculous 2000 baht extension fees

6. Being called a fruit instead of a customer when going to any shop, market, or anything other commercial situation.

7. No rights to anything once married to a Thai national

8. Extremely unwelcoming business conditions and regulations

9. Complete and total ignorance towards anything non Thai

10. Always trying and achieving jumping the queue in front of the foreigners in supermarkets, seven eleven and family marts.

And the list goes on.

So once again not that it has anything to do with original thread but yeah you are 100% right, its a waste of time trying to explain to a geezer as you so well educatedly like to put it.

Oh boy, OPEN your eyes and come back to reality

I suppose points below are not disrespect but a country policy or may be in your opinion and past experience perfectly respectful

1. Double pricing

2. 25% higher price when buying a condo(minimum)

3. Foreigner always wrong , especially when it comes to car accidents

4. Being called an allien at immigration office or airport

5. Non welcoming visa rules with ridiculous 2000 baht extension fees

6. Being called a fruit instead of a customer when going to any shop, market, or anything other commercial situation.

7. No rights to anything once married to a Thai national

8. Extremely unwelcoming business conditions and regulations

9. Complete and total ignorance towards anything non Thai

10. Always trying and achieving jumping the queue in front of the foreigners in supermarkets, seven eleven and family marts.

And the list goes on.

So once again not that it has anything to do with original thread but yeah you are 100% right, its a waste of time trying to explain to a geezer as you so well educatedly like to put it.

I'm not going comment on your last post for the simple reason being that we are both now WAY OFF TOPIC and I don't want to hijack the OPs post.

If we lived in paradise (and I'm not saying Thailand is paradise...) there would still be people there habitually complaining about something... some people are just never happy unless they're unhappy.

I'm not going comment on your last post for the simple reason being that we are both now WAY OFF TOPIC and I don't want to hijack the OPs post.

If we lived in paradise (and I'm not saying Thailand is paradise...) there would still be people there habitually complaining about something... some people are just never happy unless they're unhappy.

Actually you did say that Thailand is paradise and you have never been disrespected.

And some people do not know any better so are satisfied with little that they can get.

Is this article trying to quote as many curreincss as possible ? Why are they quoting Euro countries in GBP ? Then up comes $ as well ! I can't make head nor tail of what they are saying except there's another cash strapped government looking to raise stealth taxes same as everyone else.

head nor tails? EGGsactly! Is the OP's contention that Thai tourists to Germany have recently seen a 20% increase in buying power but they would not enjoy it because of the cost of 2 meals?

Terrible 'Topic', but an okay 'Topic Starter'

today's San Francisco Chronicle

Time to take a "euro trip"

Thursday, June 10, 2010

.How important is the currency exchange rate when deciding when and where to travel? For me, it's at least $204.42 worth of important.

Simply put, I traveled to Europe in January and, because of the zany rules in the accounting department, I saved all my receipts. Because the euro is, in a word, tanking, I decided to indulge in a little mathematical hindsight to figure out how much less things would have cost if I went to Europe today.

Sure the meals and other small expenses don't amount to much savings individually -- one dinner that cost $13.87 then would be 11.64 now -- the sum of the savings, along with the big-ticket items might make a difference. For instance, one hotel stay in Evora, Portugal, ran 130 euros -- $186 at the time, but only $156 now -- and the rental car that cost $343 back then would be $55 less. (Note: I would have saved almost $5 just on the pizza and red wine in the photo in Faro, Portugal.)

Spud Hilton / The Chronicle

Here are some isolated examples based on my January trip:

Euro in January: $1.43

Euro right now: $1.20

My hotels (5 nights) in January: $698

My hotels (5 nights) right now: $586

Two meals in January: $21.23

Two meals right now: $17.82

Bus ticket to Sevilla in January: $30.03

Bus ticket to Sevilla right now: $25.20

High-speed train to Madrid in January: $116.11

High-speed train to Madrid right now: $97.44

Ferry to Tangier in January: $52.91

Ferry to Tangier right now: $44.40

Car rental in January: $343

Car rental right now: $288

The actual difference works out to about 16 percent, which doesn't sound like much when you're buying a coat at Macy's, but in the examples above the declining euro would have saved me $204.42. (These are a few examples; the total savings for the 13-day trip would have been closer to $450 -- enough to stay at least two more days.)

Yes, I fully understand that it's not that simple: markets could change by the time you arrive and prices could rise depending on exchange rate. However, considering the continued economic troubles in Europe right now, there's likely to be more deals, not fewer. And, seriously, who wouldn't mind keeping a couple hundred bucks.

Two good sites for tracking exchange rates are Oanda.com and Xe.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/travel/detail?entry_id=65495&type=travel#ixzz0qjaKM1NX

Edited by souvenirdeparis

2 meals......for $ 21.23 blink.gif ??? That's $ 10.62 per person or € 7.43/pp (at a rate of 1,43 back in January)

I wonder what they had to eat for that kind of meal, in which country and what restaurant.

It's virtually impossible to have a decent meal in any European Restaurant for € 7,43 ; maybe they had a Big Mac or something ermm.gif

LaoPo

2 meals......for $ 21.23 blink.gif ??? That's $ 10.62 per person or € 7.43/pp (at a rate of 1,43 back in January)

I wonder what they had to eat for that kind of meal, in which country and what restaurant.

It's virtually impossible to have a decent meal in any European Restaurant for € 7,43 ; maybe they had a Big Mac or something ermm.gif

LaoPo

Nah just the 2 mins Noodle souplaugh.gif

@Lao Po

"""It's virtually impossible to have a decent meal in any European Restaurant for € 7,43 ; maybe they had a Big Mac or something ""

Tough leaves make sharp eyes .

laugh.giflaugh.gif

LaoPo