Wetv! No Decent Sport!

bangkok blue

Called the manager of WETV to ask what her plans were to replace Supersports.... It sounds like they don't want to spend any money!

They have been quoted 20k for the football plus channel that at least shows Championship footy from UK and French Ligue 1. She thought it was too expensive.

They must make a fortune from over 600 corporate (Condo) subscribers; as well as private customers! Yet they don't want to shell out for decent channels, probably to increase there own bulging pockets!

BBC and CNN have gone and been replaced with Fox news.... The gash that has replaced supersport is appalling! On one channel I have trucks driving around in the dark! The other channel is Motorsport TV which shows pre-pubescent 16 yr olds on off road bikes!

Yes, yes I know it's only 350bht a month.... But the point has now come where the 350bht we pay is not giving us the same value as it did 2 yrs ago for example. Are they offering a discount for the reduction in sevice quality? Are they <deleted>!

I know it's not there fault that Supersport has gone and that it was multichoice/Dstv Africa that relocated their satellite signal. The least they could have done in the 3+mths since we've all known about it is sort a decent alternative!

If anyone agrees with me I ask you to call them on 053418720 (press 0 for English) "P Mind" is programme/channel scheduler and speaks good English.

As it stand at the moment there will be no more Rugby, F1 (without adverts) or Cricket in Chiangmai for the forseeable future, unless we act now!

I have given them one month to sort it or I will organise a new cable provider!

In my opinion, I wouldn't be expecting the same value from 350B as I did two years ago. Times change, costs get higher, expenses rise etc etc. If your paying the same price you were all that time ago I think you ought to be asking yourself if it's realistic to be getting the exact same product/service.

If your not opposed to spending a little more money then it may be worth looking into getting a UBC package - they start from little more than what you pay now, although I think the freeview package maybe less.

As far as sport goes, www.iraqgoals.net may be worth you looking at. You can live stream many sporting events from this site.

Failing all that ..... throw the TV out of the window or go buy some new DVD's :)

Read my post again, this time taking note of the points I've made!

Exactly what points would those be? All you have done is moan about their programming, and threatened to go elsewhere if they don't give you what you want.

2 yrs ago we had great sports and great news channels for 350bht....

Now we have Fox news (Nuff said) and sports channels not worth mentioning! They clearly were paying someone, something for a license to show BBC/CNN or for pirated supersports. Can you actually tell me they pay more/the same, for Fox News and the sports channels on now?!

True don't show Cricket, they show F1 with adverts, some England qualifiers were only available via WETV last year and you can kiss goodbye to tri-nations and six nations rugby for the forseeable. True didn't show any of these events last year either.

If something is not said now then in the long term the consumer loses out and it doesn't matter how much the consumer pays, or how "cheap" it is. The facts are the service has gone down and the price is the same!

If it doesn't bother you then fine, if it does then call them, complain and maybe something will get done.

Edited by bangkok blue

To the OP- I feel your pain.

I have WeTV, but it is free in my apt bldg. I don't pay a farthing.

I'm not a sports fan at all (except for MotoGP), but enjoyed CNN, BBC World, France 24, Bloomberg, etc. All gone now. Except DW, which the local German residents got back by protesting. Good on them.

In all fairness, however, as others have pointed out....did you consider that all these providers listed above....have most likely increased their licence fees?

Money's not going into WeTV pockets- it's the providers who've upped the costs.

WeTV dropped these channels, because most subscribers here can't afford an increase in monthly fees.

Go to True/UBS. Get a dish.

Only solution for you, really.

The problem as I see it is that UBC do not have good coverage of 'western sports'. For example they rarely show 'live' golf, just highlights with a live symbol in the corner, when the winner has already returned home with his cheque! There is also no or little cricket and rugby coverage.

I am happy to pay the money, but UBC do not offer the coverage I want. Any suggestions?

Iain

TURDvisions, would not touch them with a mouldy cucumber either! Lie to customers and take off channels without a moments notice too!

No good for cricket or rugby so theyre a no go.... Will look into other options asap!

The problem as I see it is that UBC do not have good coverage of 'western sports'. For example they rarely show 'live' golf, just highlights with a live symbol in the corner, when the winner has already returned home with his cheque! There is also no or little cricket and rugby coverage.

I am happy to pay the money, but UBC do not offer the coverage I want. Any suggestions?

Iain

:) Move to Europe?

all i want is SH International & S14 Rugby, dont care about anything else

the only suggestion i can make is the Australia Network can be picked up via satellite in Thailand on IS-8 at 166 deg E

most live rugby and NRL however is encrypted, but you can get a free card from them. Details from their website.

My friends has an old STB tuned in to Aus Network, and I just got a card,so heres hoping.

Before you all get too worked up, maybe, just maybe, Supersport may be back before we really miss it! The chief scheduler came to visit us yesterday (for the past 2 years my wife has called him every Friday afternoon with my 'shopping list' for the weekends sport). He says they've found a narrow sattelite footprint over Chiang Mai and that Supersport will return 'soon' possibly as quickly as this weekend. Now, I know all the caveats about promises in this country, but lets just keep our fingers crossed for a couple of weeks before cancelling our subs!! (can't cancel ours any way as we have a very bad terrestrial signal so the wife gets her Thai soaps from WETV and if THEY disappeared my life wouldn't be worth living!)

I agree that that WETV is sporadic and unpredictable at the best of times. But just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's not frustrating. After all, even cheap is expensive if it becomes a 'nothing' product of service! If i bought a pair of shoes for 50 Baht and the soles fell out just 30 minutes of wearing them, then there's no point in selling shoes that can't be used for their intended purpose! 50 Baht might not be a lot in cash terms, but it would still be a rip-off, and therefore money badly spent.

WETV provides a television service. People sign up and pay them a nominal fee. The next thing the new subscriber knows is that they can't watch the very service they're paying for because it's off air due to a heavy downpour, or a technical glitch, (plenty of those). And have you ever seen that Windows desktop on the ole box when you're trying to tune in to watch your favourite show? Then there's the frame jumping and the sound that is sometimes played far ahead of picture!!

There's a lot of truth in that age old saying; 'You only get what you pay for!'. So poor variety and lack of English channels can't really be grumbled about for a mere 350 Baht/Mo. After all, only first class passengers in a plane get the best seats, and those of us who are subscribed to WETV are the economy class of cable television viewers :)

So at WETV's low monthly fee, one should expect a certain amount of crap! But lack of a 'workable service' is not justified at any price, otherwise you're not getting what you paid for, which in this case is a television service you can't watch with confidence.

It is for this reason I am stocking up on some Much-loved TV and Movie favourites on DVD. This way i can control what i want to watch, when i want to watch it, and not have to depend on, and get disgruntled by, the substandard services of others: See this thread here

With regards to live sports, I would say that part of the fun in that is to join a bunch of mates down at the local bar or restaurant and enjoy the experience on the big screen with a glass or 2 of your favourite tipple!

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

I have been a customer of WETV for quite a while and the quality has always gone up and down. In fact, at one time, they had most of the True/UBC channels, which they eventually had to drop. Luckily for me, For 350, i can live with one reasonable news channel and a few movie channels which they always seem to have.

IMHO, Fox and Al Jazeera together are OK, because they show differing viewpoints of almost every issue and often cover different stories. Actually, WETV replaced Fox with CNN many years ago as they said it was too expensive, so I am not sure that price is why CNN and BBC are gone.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yet another discussion that would be impossible 15 years ago. We all have broadband internet and can get just about anything that strikes our fancy, yet we find time to complain on some bare bones cable service..

...moan about missing BBC.. it's here: http://www.livestation.com/channels/10/ As are a bunch of other channels.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Before you all get too worked up, maybe, just maybe, Supersport may be back before we really miss it! The chief scheduler came to visit us yesterday (for the past 2 years my wife has called him every Friday afternoon with my 'shopping list' for the weekends sport). He says they've found a narrow sattelite footprint over Chiang Mai and that Supersport will return 'soon' possibly as quickly as this weekend. Now, I know all the caveats about promises in this country, but lets just keep our fingers crossed for a couple of weeks before cancelling our subs!! (can't cancel ours any way as we have a very bad terrestrial signal so the wife gets her Thai soaps from WETV and if THEY disappeared my life wouldn't be worth living!)

well keep us posted, coz the following Rugby games are on this weekend

New Zealand v Ireland 2.30pm KO

Australia v England 5.00 pm KO

South Africa v France 7.00 pm KO

Argentina v Scotland 10.00pm KO

anyone interested in the above games see this link

I know its a bit early DB, but you might be interested to know the Irish Pub will be showing:

2010 Rugby Tri-Nations

July10th – New Zealand v South Africa

17th – New Zealand v South Africa

24th – Australia v South Africa

31st – Australia v New Zealand

August7th – New Zealand v Australia

21st – South Africa v New Zealand

28th – South Africa v Australia

September4th – South Africa v Australia

11th – Australia v New Zealand

30th – New Zealand v Australia – Bledisloe Cup

UBC is absolute crap, unless you want something specific that they happen to have.

At the moment I pay for the gold package simply to receive the UK Premier League games. If I worked it out how much it would cost to see all these games in UK, it would be a fortune. As far as the rest of UBC is concerned they can shove it and like Drew I'm busy stocking up on as many movies and documentaries that are to my liking, so I can watch what I want, when I want and enjoy - instead of flicking through channels constantly, trying to find something interesting or that hasn't been repeated dozens of times.

I think the 2010/11 Premier League season is their 3rd year of Premier League contract (3 year deal) and I'm interested to see what the buggars are planning to do when its finished!

I know its a bit early DB, but you might be interested to know the Irish Pub will be showing:

2010 Rugby Tri-Nations

thanks will keep that in mind, do you know which channel/service they receive that?

2010 Rugby Tri-Nations

thanks will keep that in mind, do you know which channel/service they receive that?

Sorry mate I don't, but I'm sure someone here will be along shortly to tell you. :)

(for the past 2 years my wife has called him every Friday afternoon with my 'shopping list' for the weekends sport).

So it's down to you Mr Millwall fan that we have had crap sport on for the last 2 years:D .

How do you get to pick and choose what we get to see ;) is it your great great personality and buying him a beer that gets you in with the scheduler or do you just threaten him with a baseball bat:o .

Edited by alfieconn

(for the past 2 years my wife has called him every Friday afternoon with my 'shopping list' for the weekends sport).

So it's down to you Mr Millwall fan that we have had crap sport on for the last 2 years:D .

How do you get to pick and choose what we get to see ;) is it your great great personality and buying him a beer that gets you in with the scheduler or do you just threaten him with a baseball bat:o .

Violence isn't Pedr's style, not sure about the wife though:blink: