Looking To Partner With Dairy Farmer, Make Cheese

I am interested in setting up a cheese plant to make up to 200 kg of Cheddar a day max. I am looking for a farmer to partner with to supply the milk up to 2,000 ltr per day. Will not be rolling out at max production so its not necessary to have this amount of milk production to start. Milk must be good quality and very clean. Sent me an email to inquire

Dave

not more cheddar!!! love it if someone could make some GOOD cheeses

Here, here. Even a tasty cheddar, but please no more soap bars.

Dave, next time you are travelling up the mountain from Sariburi to PakChong you will see some very large diary enterprises. Having stopped at most, I am not aware of any that sell let alone make cheese, maybe thats worth a try for a cheesemaker?

IA

• 1 month later...

2 tons of Milk a day, 200kgs of Cheese per day. Quite a big operation. Lots of investment needed here for sure! You would need quite a large dairy farm. In the UK A dairy cow would produce anywhere between 10 -30 liters per day. So its has to be a lot less here in Thailand.

I am guessing you are looking for a farm with a head of at least 100 cattle.

Have you checked your local market for cheese demand? :)

When i even only speak about cheese to the TG she almost goes green in the face and say "thai people don't like cheese".

With whats available at tesco when i checked who can blame them :lol:

Have you checked your local market for cheese demand? :)

When i even only speak about cheese to the TG she almost goes green in the face and say "thai people don't like cheese".

With whats available at tesco when i checked who can blame them :lol:

Yes I have. I have a standing order for 5,000 kg per year if I can make at the right price. This was the first guy I called. Thailand imports about 5 thousand tons per year so I guess someone likes it LOL. As for cattle the average thai cow produces about 10 liters a day. Yes I need a farmer with a lot of cattle or a consortium in the same area.

<BR>Where are you? Chokchai farm is near Korat.<BR>
<BR><BR>Now in Bangkok but will set up Cheese plant near the milk supply. Studies show that milk produced here in Thai is just fine for making Cheddar. I have been getting some negitive comments round about from one or two Cheese makers who seem to think I am cutting into there action. LOL Silly little fish. If they were smart they join me and ramp up there business and let me do the sales, something I have experience with. Oh well. <BR>

Currently, Thailand produces 820,000 tonnes of raw milk per year, of which 97% will be used for ready-to-drink milk. Of the 180,000 tonnes of milk products that are imported, 38% came from New Zealand, 22% from Europe, 15% from Australia and 14% from the US. Dairy product exports are worth 5-6 billion baht per year.

I,m looking for a supply agreement for about 150 tonnes

does anyone know where yo buy rennet in Thailand? just a small amount, i want to play with making a small amount of cheese at home

i'm in a dairy cow area and can get small amounts of raw milk direct from the farm

steve

actually, may be easier to buy on

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Rennet-vegetarian-variety-100ml-dropper-bottles-/160373200375?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2556fcd5f7

Edited by stevehaigh

does anyone know where yo buy rennet in Thailand? just a small amount, i want to play with making a small amount of cheese at home

i'm in a dairy cow area and can get small amounts of raw milk direct from the farm

steve

actually, may be easier to buy on

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2556fcd5f7

Have not tried this guy but.....

have rennet both rennet in form of liquid and tablet form. i also have thermophilic culture which is use to culture the bacteria for cheese making so if u are interested u can call me @ 0876901211 my name is som o

Junket brand rennet was in every jello&pudding section until recently. I bought the tablets online. Good for cheese. Long shelf life, the liquids need refrigeration, and relatively short shelf life.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html

This guy is a wealth of info.

http://www.asiagoat.com/

They weren't milking last time I was there, so I never tasted their cheese, but...

Ive been looking for a supply for raw or reasonably unmessed with milk for cheese,

stevehaigh where are you?

• 1 month later...

Dave, next time you are travelling up the mountain from Sariburi to PakChong you will see some very large diary enterprises. Having stopped at most, I am not aware of any that sell let alone make cheese, maybe thats worth a try for a cheesemaker?

IA

IA

Having read many of your other posts, in different forums, I see that you look for and desire to develop your own hog feed. After reading this thread I am reminded of what is left over after making cheese. I'm sure you are familiar with "Whey" , as it is used extensively in the United states as hog feed. The whey is mixed with table, or restaurant scraps etc.., and boiled and fed as slop for the hogs. We wasted nothing on the farm and the hogs loved it and would fight to get their share, and they packed on the weight.

Just my thoughts!

etc (Jim)

Edited by ETC

IA

IA

Having read many of your other posts, in different forums, I see that you look for and desire to develop your own hog feed. After reading this thread I am reminded of what is left over after making cheese. I'm sure you are familiar with "Whey" , as it is used extensively in the United states as hog feed. The whey is mixed with table, or restaurant scraps etc.., and boiled and fed as slop for the hogs. We wasted nothing on the farm and the hogs loved it and would fight to get their share, and they packed on the weight.

Just my thoughts!

etc (Jim)

Thanks Jim, yes it has occurred to me but I have no source here, beef cattle only.

Junket brand rennet was in every jello&pudding section until recently. I bought the tablets online. Good for cheese. Long shelf life, the liquids need refrigeration, and relatively short shelf life.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html

This guy is a wealth of info.

http://www.asiagoat.com/

They weren't milking last time I was there, so I never tasted their cheese, but...

Ive been looking for a supply for raw or reasonably unmessed with milk for cheese,

stevehaigh where are you?

We're back in small production of number 2, a shaped cream cheese and cream cheese. The former is now available in Foodland Pattaya. If successful, FL will take it nationwide.

Very interesting world-view of Thailand (as per FL): Pattaya + Bangkok = 'nationwide'

Frankly speaking, I love a good sharp cheddar. I beleive that it is common knowledge that most Thais eat very little dairy products,

so starting a nationwide advertising blitz from Pattaya and Bangkok, would be the sensible approach, given their combined population density.

Good luck Jazzbo.

ETC

Campfire

To quote Charles R. Swindoll, "When you have vision it affects your attitude. Your attitude is optimistic rather than pessimistic."

ETC

Campfire

Looks like this forum is turning in to a snipe quote battle and not addressing your original intent, so I will leave you this quote by Will Rogers and leave this forum: "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

I am sure you already know that your new cheese will require good advertising, and people handing out free tasty bite size samples, in food markets, or from the open markets, for that matter., will go a long way in bringing about customer awareness. Partnering up with a cracker company, on advertising, might prove interesting too.

Good luck in finding your milk source, and I will keep my eyes and ears open for you as we both want something from bovine. Granted, your product will smell better! :D

ETC

aka Jim

... and as popularized by President Harry Truman: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

or as I will put it: In order to be able to make two good widgets, it is first desirable to be able to make one good widget.

Edited by jazzbo

... and as popularized by President Harry Truman: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

or as I will put it: In order to be able to make two good widgets, it is first desirable to be able to make one good widget.

It's not the heat I object to, it's the lack of postive input from some posters. Their idea of a post is to snipe at those wanting an intelligent,

and constructive conversation. Shows a true lack of respect for others.