England World Cup Discussion Thread

mommysboy

On the night the best team won, maybe the English FA should now start to think about the negative effect having most of the top flight teams full of foreigners. Surely all the money spent on these players could be channelled into developing home grown talent.

Anyway good luck Germany you played a good clean game and deserved the result.

What about the negative effect of English managers like Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis and all the hundreds like them right down the leagues into the youth system, who are obessed with players like Kevin Davies and a playing style that went out with Norman "bites your legs" hunter. You look at Spain, Holland, Germany there is uniformity right from the top teams Ajax, Barca, Bayern all the way down the leagues they all keep the ball down and pass and move. Also particularlly in Germany and Holland the national team comes first, the system is set up to provide players to the national team and their FA's are boss over the clubs. In England the Premier league and the top clubs control the system and it is set up with no regard to providing players for the national team.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that this team was being extolled as the England team with the best chance of reaching the final for years.

Something went horribly wrong and too many players just did not perform.

I find it hard to be too critical of the manager and I also accept that if we had started the 2nd half at 2 - 2, things might have been different.

It is likely that only 3 or 4 of this team will make the 2014 squad. There has never been a better time to start with a totally clean sheet of paper.

In the meantime we can do without gloating <deleted> like Chonburiram.

The " goal that wasn't" incident is bad in two separate ways.

In the context of the game, it did change the way England played and the outcome would obviously have been closer.

But at the end of the day I still think the Germans were the better team and the " incident " will give some in the FA ( and the team ) an excuse to hide behind and mask their total incompetence

Shambolic exhibition from England. Probably the worst back four performance in living memory. Seeing Heskey come on at 4-1 down didnt exactly get the pulse racing either. Are England any better than when Sven was in charge ?..No You cant go back to the drawing board there isn't one and for all the dinasours in FIFA, and some on this forum, how much more evidence do you need for video technology ?

Agree about the back four, especially Terry, who should do the decent thing and resign from international football the first goal was unbelievable what is Terry doing he runs forward away from the flight of the ball and it sails over his head. Then the third goal is mad, why if Lampard is having a shot, do Upson and Terry go up into the German box leaving Johnson on his own on the half way line, Lampard hits the wall then there's four Germans running at Johnson.

YES i am englit ,spoke to my many frind in thailand on phone before match,not bewtting on england as are s"£$%t,them say players earn to mutch,to fat and are lazy.

yesssssssssssssssssssss money to be had allround.

Remember that this team was being extolled as the England team with the best chance of reaching the final for years.

Something went horribly wrong and too many players just did not perform.

I find it hard to be too critical of the manager and I also accept that if we had started the 2nd half at 2 - 2, things might have been different.

It is likely that only 3 or 4 of this team will make the 2014 squad. There has never been a better time to start with a totally clean sheet of paper.

In the meantime we can do without gloating <deleted> like Chonburiram.

Hey,

It's just a game!

:cheesy:

Maybe the (in)famous 1966 Ghost Goal at the WEMBLEY World Cup Final haunted England today....:ermm:

"London's Wembley Stadium provided the venue for the final, and 98,000 people crammed inside to watch. After 12 minutes 32 seconds Helmut Haller had put West Germany ahead, but the score was levelled by Geoff Hurst four minutes later. Martin Peters put England in the lead in the 78th minute; England looked set to claim the title when the referee awarded a free kick to West Germany with one minute left. The ball was launched goalward and Wolfgang Weber managed to poke it across the line, with England appealing in vain for handball as the ball came through the crowded penalty area.[7] With the score level at 2–2 at the end of 90 minutes, the game went to extra time. In the 98th minute Hurst found himself on the score sheet again; his shot hit the crossbar, and bounced down and hit the ground either onto or just over goal line. Whether the ball actually crossed the goal line or not has been a matter of discussion for decades, and this goal, known as the "Ghost Goal", has become part of World Cup history. Recent digitally-enhanced footage is said to clearly illustrate that Geoff Hurst's second goal did not cross the line.[8] In the last minute it was Hurst again, who dribbled easily through the German half to net his third goal, just as the gathered crowd invaded the pitch to celebrate with the team, thus cementing the victory for England with another goal. This made Geoff Hurst the only player ever to have scored three times in a World Cup final.[7]

http://en.wikipedia....World_Cup#Final

LaoPo

OK guys take it easy we got beat,or do you wanna call this the (ball was in thread) NO NO NO it is what it is,we were outplayed by a long way,good luck Deutchland,you were better,so be it,

Well said

In all honesty Germany were much better and good luck to them, but the scoreline was harsh as not much went England's way.

I mean that disallowed goal was surely the worst decision ever in world cup history.

I hope the management stays. I hope that it's seen as best that the defence to a man don't ever play again, and sadly, time to say goodbye to Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney too. Good club men. Had numerous opportunities now.

OK guys take it easy we got beat,or do you wanna call this the (ball was in thread) NO NO NO it is what it is,we were outplayed by a long way,good luck Deutchland,you were better,so be it,

Well said

In all honesty Germany were much better and good luck to them, but the scoreline was harsh as not much went England's way.

I mean that disallowed goal was surely the worst decision ever in world cup history.

I hope the management stays. I hope that it's seen as best that the defence to a man don't ever play again, and sadly, time to say goodbye to Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney too. Good club men. Had numerous opportunities now.

Sad part about this is I agree, but in the short term who's on line to step up ?

The manager needs to go as he will stick with the same players when a complete change of thinking is required.

Shambolic exhibition from England. Probably the worst back four performance in living memory. Seeing Heskey come on at 4-1 down didnt exactly get the pulse racing either. Are England any better than when Sven was in charge ?..No You cant go back to the drawing board there isn't one and for all the dinasours in FIFA, and some on this forum, how much more evidence do you need for video technology ?

Agree about the back four, especially Terry, who should do the decent thing and resign from international football the first goal was unbelievable what is Terry doing he runs forward away from the flight of the ball and it sails over his head. Then the third goal is mad, why if Lampard is having a shot, do Upson and Terry go up into the German box leaving Johnson on his own on the half way line, Lampard hits the wall then there's four Germans running at Johnson.

That mistake was Barry's. He should be well aware that England has committed and instead of trying to control the ball he should be hitting it first time.

That mistake was Barry's. He should be well aware that England has committed and instead of trying to control the ball he should be hitting it first time.

Also, Rooney just didn't show up. He doesn't work in this team. Either build a team around him or without him. Anything else is just setting him up for failure.

I was surprised to see Dafoe taken off. I would have expected to see Crouch for Rooney but that didn't happen.

Barry didn't do enough to deserve a place. He looked slow and cumbersome by comparison to the Germans.

Edited by steffi

Still doesn't explain why 9 players have gone up for a freekick that is a shot at goal.

Still doesn't explain why 9 players have gone up for a freekick that is a shot at goal.

That is true and a fair point. however they still think it's worth it for the crumbs from the wall but Barry should have known that to lose the ball in that spot

would leave England very very exposed.

Also, Rooney just didn't show up. He doesn't work in this team. Either build a team around him or without him. Anything else is just setting him up for failure.

I was surprised to see Dafoe taken off. I would have expected to see Crouch for Rooney but that didn't happen.

Barry didn't do enough to deserve a place. He looked slow and cumbersome by comparison to the Germans.

I think I'm right in saying that Rooney hasn't scored since he played the second leg of the Bayern champions league, where he played with a ankle injury, hobbled around the pitch for 45 mins and then came off. Ferguson squeezed every last minute out of him this season, playing when your injured can't be good for you.

Al Jazeera says the South Africans are expecting violence between German and English supporters tonight ...

Well for sure it will not be Germans causing/starting it.

(PS I am not German)

Agree we are not the most gracious in defeat...

I think I'm right in saying that Rooney hasn't scored since he played the second leg of the Bayern champions league, where he played with a ankle injury, hobbled around the pitch for 45 mins and then came off. Ferguson squeezed every last minute out of him this season, playing when your injured can't be good for you.

That's just making up excuses for Rooney. Rooney looked slow on the ball and the German defenders simply didn't fear him at all. The only way Rooney beat

my expectations was that he kept his cool and didn't get sent off but if he wasn't fit to begin with he should never have been in the squad.

Edited by steffi

Right "Don't be fooled by the scoreline." absolutely - Germany should have been ahead by more.

England were a bunch of hapless, hopeless disorganised yobs.

It was a bad decision on the second England goal, but the end result was right.

http://www.fifa.com/...1501/index.html

Stats don't seem to support that. More possession, more shots, more shots on target, more corner.

Not sure if you actually watched the game mate. The Stats may say one thing, but the lads looked disorganised, knackered, and out-played when it counted. End of the road for many on display.

The stats do say it was not a 4-1 game, but in all fairness the germans looked like scoring every time they attacked and they tactics where spot on, They over ran us in the midfield with both Gerrard and Lampard pushng forward..

Fully deserved victory. No complaints.. !

Sorry for the disallowed goal, but England did not deserve to win this game. They were looking like an old steam locomotive, no inspiration, no passing, no creativity and no speed.

I am still cheered up by the German Team, speed changes, super dangerous in counter attacks and simply another, more modern way of playing the game. Did you know that the almighty Premier League is investing less money than the Bundesliga in supporting young talents? Keep on paying astronomic salaries to old or/and foreign superstars, but don't expect that they will contribute anything good to the English National team.

and for all the dinasours in FIFA, and some on this forum, how much more evidence do you need for video technology ?

Absolutely. That GOAL being allowed would have changed the whole strategy of the second half. I'm not saying we would have won but it would have been a totally different game. How many hideous decisions does it take for the dinosaurs to see sence :blink:

Al Jazeera says the South Africans are expecting violence between German and English supporters tonight ...

Well for sure it will not be Germans causing/starting it.

Your absolutely right. The Germans have never started anything..........oh.....wait a minute..... <_<

What an absolute stupid comment.

Sorry for the disallowed goal, but England did not deserve to win this game. They were looking like an old steam locomotive, no inspiration, no passing, no creativity and no speed.

I am still cheered up by the German Team, speed changes, super dangerous in counter attacks and simply another, more modern way of playing the game. Did you know that the almighty Premier League is investing less money than the Bundesliga in supporting young talents? Keep on paying astronomic salaries to old or/and foreign superstars, but don't expect that they will contribute anything good to the English National team.

Maybe the reason for that is the Bundesliga cant attract the " foreign superstars " and they have to invest in the youth ?? But i do agree the German team did look good today on the counter attack, And if Argentina go through it should be a good game to watch.