Thai Police, DSI Squabble Over Seeking Interpol Help

webfact

INTERPOL

Police, DSI squabble over seeking Interpol help

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police have yet to seek Interpol assistance for the arrest of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra because they have not received an official request from the Department of Special Investigation, Police Maj-General Terdsak Rujirawong, commander of the Royal Thai Police foreign affairs division, said yesterday.

He said that without a DSI request, the police were unable to coordinate with the International Criminal Police Organisation about Thaksin's arrest. He also was unsure if Interpol would put Thaksin on its international blacklist of wanted criminals.

However, DSI director-general Tharit Pengdit yesterday insisted that the request had been sent to the police last week. "I don't know why the police said they didn't get it," he said.

Tharit also said the police should not pass to the DSI the job of translating Thaksin's arrest warrant into English. Terdsak earlier yesterday said that the DSI should also have done the translation before forwarding it to the police.

In a related development, Lt-General Nattapit Sanitwong na Ayudhya, commander of the Royal Thai Police's personnel division, said the Police Commission has set up a subcommittee to determine whether Thaksin should be stripped of his police rank of lieutenant colonel for being sentenced by a court to imprisonment.

Nattapit said that his division was empowered to strip the rank of police officers who were still active, not those like Thaksin who had left the force. Nattapit said he referred the matter to the Police Commission.

In another development involving the ex-leader, Justice Minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga said yesterday that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had revived the probe into the alleged killings of 1,200 people during the Thaksin Shinawatra government's "war on drugs".

Pirapan said he also planned to propose that former attorney-general Khamphi Kaewcharoen head the independent committee investigating these cases.

They would pick up work left over from the previous committee, set by the Surayud Chulanont administration and chaired by former attorney-general Kanit na Nakorn.

Out of some 2,500 people slain in drug-suppression operations, about 1,200 were said to have been killed by fellow drug dealers for fear they would turn into informants. However, human rights activists suspected that many of the deaths were summary executions of people suspected by the police of dealing in drugs, who were viewed as public enemies under the Thaksin government's war on drugs.

He said the investigation wouldn't take a long time as the previous committee had done considerable work already. Affirming that the PM would consider a deadline for the work, Pirapan said he would be able to propose a list of committee members to the premier next week.

As the committee's chairman should be a neutral legal expert, Pirapan aimed to approach Khamphi to replace Kanit, who was to head an inquiry into violence during rallies by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship.

Pirapan also emphasised the government wished to continue the investigations by the old government in order to establish the facts. He said they didn't have any hidden political purposes or intentions for taking legal action against anyone. It was for everyone, including himself, to see where the investigation's result would lead and further actions would be taken accordingly, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-11

Keep squabbling you will get it right sonner or later , a good education might help .he he he.

More evidence of Police incompetence.

I guess old habit hard to die. I think if Ahbisit is serious to make Thailand better he would need to change the police. First thing he should remove everyone who has/had ties to Thaksin then start teaching ethics o the police leaders and enforce anti bribery acts (opps i just woke up what i said was just a dream)

More evidence of police corruption and cupidity.

Thaksin is ex police, he made sure the police brass benefited heftily from his time in office,

The police hate Abhsit for trying to clean out police corruption, and not letting them have free play.

Thaksin gave them the war on drugs , carte blanche to go after, and take over, drug networks by all means they choose.

So there is ample reason to expect the police to hamper this move on Thaksin's freedom with as many

impediments as they can gin up. They know they profit with Thaksin. They know they can't win points with Abhisit,

but hope for Thaksins' return, so stay prepared for that it, should it happen.

Edited by animatic

Keep squabbling you will get it right sonner or later , a good education might help .he he he.

I guess old habit hard to die. I think if Ahbisit is serious to make Thailand better he would need to change the police. First thing he should remove everyone who has/had ties to Thaksin then start teaching ethics o the police leaders and enforce anti bribery acts (opps i just woke up what i said was just a dream)

Ethics ,another nice word.

More evidence of police corruption and cupidity.

Thaksin is ex police, he made sure the police brass benefited heftily from his time in office,

The police hate Abhsit for trying to clean out police corruption, and not letting them have free play.

Thaksin gave them the war on drugs , carte blanche to go after, and take over, drug networks by all means they choose.

So there is ample reason to expect the police to hamper this move on Thaksin's freedom with as many

impediments as they can gin up. They know they profit with Thaksin. They know they can't win points with Abhisit,

but hope for Thaksins' return, so stay prepared for that it, should it happen.

At one time big T was fittin out the R.T.P. with better light equipment than the armed forces where getting.

He said that without a DSI request, the police were unable to coordinate with the International Criminal Police Organisation about Thaksin's arrest. He also was unsure if Interpol would put Thaksin on its international blacklist of wanted criminals.

Given that Interpol will most likely reject the request ... both agencies might be looking for a way to save face. No one wants to be the guys that have it tossed back in their face.

Given that Interpol will most likely reject the request ... both agencies might be looking for a way to save face. No one wants to be the guys that have it tossed back in their face.

I don't think this is true.

However you post an interesting scenario worth considering.

The Thai press, and the Nation in particular are prone to make lots of bold statements about Thaksin's linkage to events. That is here in Thailand to an audience that does not and cannot ask questions or ask for details. What real hard facts they have is anybody's guess, but Interpol is going to want real information unlike the Thai press. I would guesstimate Interpol has 4 out of 5 chance of rejecting the request.

A priority must be, not to have a corrupt police force ! it's a contradiction in terms, Thai police salaries are higher than the average working salary, which is the same for police forces in the developed world, you don't see police in the UK taking backhanders from speeding motorists or making up their own fines if you are a different race !

More evidence of Police incompetence. Bloody Incompetent Boobs = BIB

Interpol assistance? who is actually going to believe in that? (okay, almost forget, people have different education, 5555)

Oh because they were all taught by the same teachers who failed the subject, so before they could study, everyone has failed! :)

Isn't Interpol based in France? LOL! So, what power do they really have? Only from those countries who are willing to cooperate with them... So kind of a moot point, I think. Why bother, in other words.

The parasitic master tick is living abroad in Montenegro but he left behind a huge number of the same species that are well embedded all over old dirty brown dog police, pigeonhole government offices, trying hard to suck the life blood out of Thailand drop by drop.

We were not given the request to approach Interpol and in any case it should have been translated into English already!!!

Good one!

I think Interpol should investigate the Thai police forces massive corruption & money taking from prostitiutes, bars, motorists, drug users etc.

Really good one!

These 2 Posts were worth the price of Admission.

While we are at it, can Interpol investigate why Sondhi is not behind bars, or is it against their rules to snicker at developing countries?

I agree with you. Like everything else here, it always seems to come right back to face. Silly.

INTERPOL already said in one interview they doubt they would accept the case should they receive it.