Fears That Thaksin Plans To Buy Thai Govt MPs

webfact

Fears that Thaksin plans to 'buy govt MPs'

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Concern is growing in the ruling Democrat Party that ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra is offering money to "buy" MPs to vote down the 2011 fiscal budget bill - a move that could threaten the Abhisit government, as the government has just a slim majority according to a count of MPs.

Democrat Party executive member Satit Pitutecha warned the government not to be careless since it was possible that Thaksin would do that.

"Thaksin could do anything to topple the government,'' he said.

He said Pheu Thai Party had been open about attempts to attract government MPs from the Democrats and other junior coalition parties.

However, Deputy Premier Suthep Thaugsuban, who is Democrat Party secretary general, dismissed the concern.

Responding to reports that Democrat MPs from the North and East may defect to join the Opposition Pheu Thai Party, Suthep said the public should not take Pheu Thai Party seriously because the party kept changing its statement every day.

He insisted the government was stable and would not have problems get all coalition parties to vote for the budget bill, which needs more than half of total MPs to back it in the second and third readings in August.

Suthep said not counting ministers' votes, the government had more than 250 votes in support of the bill.

Sources said the government's instability had become an issue after PM Abhisit decided to remove ministers from the Korat and Wang Payanak faction in the Puea Pandin Party, who led MPs to vote against two ministers from the Bhum Jai Thai Party.

As a result, the government had lost the support of 18 MPs and had to bring in six MPs led by Chaiyos Jiramethakorn another faction in Puea Pandin party, to support the government, plus three MPs from Matubhum Party.

The government is made up, in effect, of six parties and two factions with a total of 259 MPs, including 171 of the Democrats, 32 of the Bhum Jai Thai Party, 25 of the Thai Chat Pattana, nine of Ruam Chat Pattana, five from Social Action, three from Matubhum, seven from Ban Rimnam and seven from the Dao Krachai faction.

The total number of MPs in Parliament is 474. The opposition has 197 MPs in total, 189 of whom are Pheu Thai Party MPs, while eight are Pracharaj Party MPs.

This means the government has MPs more than half of total MPs in the House by 22 votes. But more than 20 ministers who are MPs are not allowed to vote for the budget bill, this means the government has less than half the total MPs in the House to vote for the budget bill.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-14

• Like 1

For perspective. When Abhisit proposed early elections, put forth the reconciliation plan, and began negotiating with the reds, he commented that his biggest problem at the time was Thaksin phoning the coalition MPs in an attempt to pull the coalition apart.

Edited by rabo

I'll bet that they are regretting booting the Pua Pandin Party out of the co-altion now! I'm sure that there were reasons for that action that seemed valid, at the time, but with such a slim majority they really shouldn't fool around..

Maybe Thaksin will buy his way back into power this way. If so, just remember that old adage: Countries generally get the government that they deserve. In this case they will get the 'best government that money (or Thaksin) can buy.'

Looks like the transfer window is open. If I were a Democrat or coalition MP this is just the type of rumour I'd start in order to secure a nice offer from my current employer to stay on side.

Everything is for sale in Thailand :)

Looks like the transfer window is open. If I were a Democrat or coalition MP this is just the type of rumour I'd start in order to secure a nice offer from my current employer to stay on side.

Buying politicians is how Thaksin came into power in the first place. It's pretty much his bread and butter. Anyone successful with their electorate would eventually switch to the TRT party....

I'll bet that they are regretting booting the Pua Pandin Party out of the co-altion now! I'm sure that there were reasons for that action that seemed valid, at the time, but with such a slim majority they really shouldn't fool around..

Maybe Thaksin will buy his way back into power this way. If so, just remember that old adage: Countries generally get the government that they deserve. In this case they will get the 'best government that money (or Thaksin) can buy.'

Agree - they will get what they deserve. But I can't help thinking - the drain on Takky's fortunes may only be a blink but judging by recent press releases or lack thereof, and his now almost silent rhetoric I think he may be reassessing his situation and I also hear Khun Abhisit has a few aces up his sleeve and the removal of the Pua PP members was only the beginning to solidify the party. Time will tell but as always T.I.T. so who knows! jap.gif

Vote buying is deeply embedded as an acceptable way of doing Thai government/business; illegal but acceptable as long as you don't get caught. Out in the country, it can be as simple as the candidate running for election going around and giving 30 eggs to village residents/voters. At higher govt levels I expect it costs a little more than 30 eggs.

People who know nothing else of Thailand know about the reputation for prostitution. They have no idea to what extent that applies.

People who know nothing else of Thailand know about the reputation for prostitution. They have no idea to what extent that applies.

Ok expert please tell us why almost everyone in the politics sells their sole for money and power

The Puea Pandin members deep sixed were mostly replaced with more loyal ones.

It also gave a stern object lesson to others that this will not be tolerated.

The lesson being if you want at the trough, don't drop the ball and don't try to

blackmail the lead party in the government.

Assorted Puea Thai MPs are ready to jump ship from embarrasment, and greed.

The whole field is changing, as witnessed by the landslide of Democrats in Bangkok,

over a formerly predominant PTP.

So this is the time money and cross playing money sources off each other

is most on the table for all fence sitting MPs. And rumors and disinformation are the units of pressure

Sales of political advantage are a daily thing, but the anti and the rate of change sometimes goes up.

This is one of those times.

Of course Thaksin will try and buy off a few from the fence. Anything that can derail or embarrass the Dems is his goal.

But there is also serious money going the other way, and public awarness of PTP's role in the Red chaos,

is not going un- observed, votes, maneuvering and in street talk.

"Once more into the breach dear friends."

For PTP it seems to be a breach birth.

Edited by animatic

And not forget that there is still a case pending from the election committee, about the complaint on illegal campaign money concerning the party from P.M. Abhisit , and has to be handled by court

:)

Its already been shown that the man will stop at nothing in order to acheive his dream, so anyway or thing is fair game.

All this nonesense probably won't end until he stops breathing.

I think he has enough money left over to by any life support machine on the market to keep breathing even after he is dead :D

:D:D :)

"Democrat Party executive member Satit Pitutecha warned the government not to be careless since it was possible that Thaksin would do that."

This prove that Democrat MPs are up for sales, else Shortie has nothing to worry about, has he?

Buying politicians is how Thaksin came into power in the first place. It's pretty much his bread and butter. Anyone successful with their electorate would eventually switch to the TRT party....

Right you are but why did you forget to say who paying to build Thaksin's road to the PM's office???

Vote buying is deeply embedded as an acceptable way of doing Thai government/business; illegal but acceptable as long as you don't get caught. Out in the country, it can be as simple as the candidate running for election going around and giving 30 eggs to village residents/voters. At higher govt levels I expect it costs a little more than 30 eggs.

For consumption? Or for throwing?

The Puea Pandin members deep sixed were mostly replaced with more loyal ones.

It also gave a stern object lesson to others that this will not be tolerated.

The lesson being if you want at the trough, don't drop the ball and don't try to

blackmail the lead party in the government.

In the censure motion debate Puea Pandin allowed their MPs to vote free. they gave full support for Abhist. But not for Interior Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul and Transport Minister Sophon Saram, both from Bhum Jai Thai Party, targeted for suspected graft violations. Sophon is also responsible for that road project through Khao Yai National Park.

with the cabinet reshuffle the Dems demonstrated that they didn't hear the signals. It would have been a wise decision to replace these two. but i didn't happen, guess why? because the Bhum Jai Thai Party is probably the blackmailer here. And with the recent rumour and more important the denials it looks like, there are some more coalition MPs who are unhappy with the latest cabinet changes(specially the non changes)

a lesson? a lesson of what? mulishness and self-opinionatedness? Abhisit is history soon.

Meanwhile Deputy Government Spokesman Prommin Leetheeraprasert of the Puea Pandin Party attacked the Democrat Party and the PM for removing the Puea Pandin Party's factions that voted against some ministers in the censure debate. He said some Puea Pandin MPs voted by adhering to the principle of checking corruption and not to take political revenge.

Poll results also show that the majority supported the MPs saying they have the right to use their own judgement. "The fact that the PM is thinking of the government's stability more than upholding his nine iron rules of good governance has created a sick political culture and this is very ugly. How can Abhisit and Chuan Leekpai preach to the others?'' he said

Well in actual fact your confusing your PM's. Thaksin was the elected Prime Minister Abhisit was/is the installed PM after the Military/Elite bought 40 Phuea Thai MPs through their broker Newin Chidbob.

Well in actual fact your confusing your PM's. Thaksin was the elected Prime Minister Abhisit was/is the installed PM after the Military/Elite bought 40 Phuea Thai MPs through their broker Newin Chidbob.

Yes, Thaksin became the elected prime minister in bought elections, we all know that...

"Democrat Party executive member Satit Pitutecha warned the government not to be careless since it was possible that Thaksin would do that."

This prove that Democrat MPs are up for sales, else Shortie has nothing to worry about, has he?

TOGETHER WE CAN GRAND ...

30526402271942939129986.jpg

Its already been shown that the man will stop at nothing in order to acheive his dream, so anyway or thing is fair game.

I think he has enough money left over to by any life support machine on the market to keep breathing even after he is dead :D

:D:D :)

One would have to assume, cosidering Thaksins vivid imagination and ideas of grandeur, he must be a big Walt Disney fan..

With all his money, and not to be outdone, im sure he has already arranged to be cryogenically frozen..

He WILL come back and plunder another day

:D:D

TOGETHER WE CAN GRAND ...

30526402271942939129986.jpg

Thanks. Great picture to prove the point.

I am sure that he paid already to be connected to a breathing machine if he happens to stop breathing :)

Seconded!

If really ever makes it back, many will have to run for shelter!