Banking In Phuket

petercallen

Ok, enough of the off topic remarks. This topic is about 'banking'. All the off topic comments have been removed. Thank you.

Hello livinginkata, i totally agree, enough is enough of nit picking and tit for tat, i can only state what my paperwork states, what my agreement was and is, really the physical evidence of the investment, and i've just been shot down on every point. can i expect this treatment on all topics and comments

Getting a credit card with your Thai bank.

When i first transferred a substantial amount of money into my Thai bank account i asked the

manager before i did so if i could have a credit card in the future if i required one and he

assured me it would be no problem.

When i applied for one at a later date he did everything he could to discourage from having

one, when i insisted he told me they did not issue credit cards to retired people, my answer

was that is not what you told me originally and i was not happy since i have an excellent credit

history and could prove it.

He did not seem to careless until i told him i would be checking with other banks and if another

offered me better service i would close my account with his bank and open a account with another

bank and require my withdrawal in cash, his attitude changed instantly.

The deal i accepted was i would i would open another account put twice the amount of money in it

as my credit limit and they would hold the bank book and withdraw the money from my main bank account

to pay my credit card bill when it was due, and they would give me 1% rebate on the amount.

There are no fees on the credit card ( i wonder why, joking ) and by using the card where i can do

safely the rebate will equal the way things are going the interest i would get on a 1 million baht

bank account in 1 year, they also SMS me to confirm payment of major purchases like airfares etc.

Getting a credit card with your Thai bank.

When i first transferred a substantial amount of money into my Thai bank account i asked the

manager before i did so if i could have a credit card in the future if i required one and he

assured me it would be no problem.

When i applied for one at a later date he did everything he could to discourage from having

one, when i insisted he told me they did not issue credit cards to retired people, my answer

was that is not what you told me originally and i was not happy since i have an excellent credit

history and could prove it.

He did not seem to careless until i told him i would be checking with other banks and if another

offered me better service i would close my account with his bank and open a account with another

bank and require my withdrawal in cash, his attitude changed instantly.

The deal i accepted was i would i would open another account put twice the amount of money in it

as my credit limit and they would hold the bank book and withdraw the money from my main bank account

to pay my credit card bill when it was due, and they would give me 1% rebate on the amount.

There are no fees on the credit card ( i wonder why, joking ) and by using the card where i can do

safely the rebate will equal the way things are going the interest i would get on a 1 million baht

bank account in 1 year, they also SMS me to confirm payment of major purchases like airfares etc.

Getting a creditcard in Bank of Ayudhya

Kata branch for myself, mainoffice for a farang friend

Have 80k baht reserved as security on any existing or new savingsaccount.

Sign application form

Recieve card and PIN by EMS mail within 2 weeks, Gold card 64k limit, 80% of security deposit reserved..

No fees involved

Monthly Invoice can be payed by auto withdrawel from savingsaccount, by ATM or in bank, and card can be topped up at any time.

Smooth as silk, and 64k is sufficient for airtickets, car rental and hotels.

Interesting last two posts as I was told outright that I could not get a credit card on both a work permit and a retirement visa. I am with Siam Commercial Bank. Maybe I should have done the same as petercallen and pushed them a bit harder.

I don't desperately need a Thai credit card but it would be useful.

Peter, which bank are you with?

Edited by madmitch

Getting a creditcard in Bank of Ayudhya

Kata branch for myself, mainoffice for a farang friend

Have 80k baht reserved as security on any existing or new savingsaccount.

Sign application form

Recieve card and PIN by EMS mail within 2 weeks, Gold card 64k limit, 80% of security deposit reserved..

No fees involved

Monthly Invoice can be payed by auto withdrawel from savingsaccount, by ATM or in bank, and card can be topped up at any time.

Smooth as silk, and 64k is sufficient for airtickets, car rental and hotels.

Just to ad, never had a work permit and never had a permit to stay longer than 90 days

Interesting last two posts as I was told outright that I could not get a credit card on both a work permit and a retirement visa. I am with Siam Commercial Bank. Maybe I should have done the same as petercallen and pushed them a bit harder.

SCB subbranch in jungceylon basement, 200000 baht in account they hold bank book on

100000 credit limit on mastercard.

[quote name='madmitch' date='2010-06-16 16:51'

SCB subbranch in jungceylon basement, 200000 baht in account they hold bank book on

Is that a credit card not a debit card ?? They sure seem to be getting easy.

Has anyone had any experiences in how Thai credit card suppliers are about fraud / chargebacks etc..

I have stuck with UK platinum cards for years, and I trust them a lot more, but I have had some hassles as they wont post cards to Thailand (even tho I declare I live here) as its considered a high risk fraud country.

Not sure if I understand this correctly but it seems to me you may as well have a debit card, which anyone can get, & you get to hold your bank book. As it stands now you are actually not receiving any credit as you cannot go higher than the 100,000 limit.

I do have a credit card in my name but only received it on the back of my Thai wife as the bank offered her a credit card with an extra one for me. There are no restrictions on how much money we have to keep in the bank.

Has anyone had any experiences in how Thai credit card suppliers are about fraud / chargebacks etc..

I have stuck with UK platinum cards for years, and I trust them a lot more, but I have had some hassles as they wont post cards to Thailand (even tho I declare I live here) as its considered a high risk fraud country.

Hi

I have the same card, you can ask your bank to put a watch dog on, means if something unusually happened they will close the card but you will get a code so you can open the card if nothing is wrong, no problem for 9 years now.

My GF has platinum card with SCB and the yellow bank, wonder if she can get a second card i can use??

Hi

I have the same card, you can ask your bank to put a watch dog on, means if something unusually happened they will close the card but you will get a code so you can open the card if nothing is wrong, no problem for 9 years now.

My GF has platinum card with SCB and the yellow bank, wonder if she can get a second card i can use??

My wife has quite a few cards from both KBank and SCB, but neither one said they would give me one with my name on it under her account for whatever reason.

In response to poster saying a debit card is better, the problem arises when some merchants won't take a debit card. Rental car companies spring immediately to mind.

Tried to get a credit card with K-bank.

They told me it would take a year and I would have to tie up whatever money I wanted to put on it.

Then they told me about their: "K-web Shopping Card" as I wanted this card to buy airline tickets from air asia.

It took 2 days and went very smoothly although I had to put the amount of money on the card from my savings account before the purchase.

Not a bad idea and it seems secure as they ring your phone with a security code during every step of the way.

It is a credit card the money they hold in a separate account is a security bond.

From what i have been told when they had the financial meltdown here a lot of

people shot through with there money and left there debts behind.

The monthly payment is taken from my main bank account.

Since the money they hold as a bond is twice the credit allowed they are not getting easy.

Steelpluse has hit the nail on the head with his comment that some company's including

rental car company's will not except debit cards.

Foreign banks are happy for you to use there credit card in Thailand on a holiday basis

even then they have problems, but not on a regular basis.

Since the money they hold in the separate account pays the same interest as my main account

and i have the benefit of a statement posted to me every month which i can check before the

due date i am happy with the arrangement.

Nearly everyone has a debit card its the one you use to withdraw money from a ATM machine.

Car rental company's and similar company's will only except credit cards becuse when you pay for the rental they also charge

a bond to cover late return, damage etc.

When you return the car undamaged and on time they just credit the bond to you card which is easy for them to do, from what i understand they cannot do this with a debit card.

Hi

My wife has quite a few cards from both KBank and SCB, but neither one said they would give me one with my name on it under her account for whatever reason.

In response to poster saying a debit card is better, the problem arises when some merchants won't take a debit card. Rental car companies spring immediately to mind.

Yepp, you can.

I had it for 5 years, but we split up. Homepro card, which is yellow bank Ayudhya.

It comes with your name on it, so no one can see its not your account

As for debetcards. most online shopping, rentalcars, hotels, airlines dont accept them since amounts can not be reserved, only withdrawn.

As for thai CC issuers, I have no idea how they would handle any problems, since I yet havent had one in 7 years

Hi

Yepp, you can.

I had it for 5 years, but we split up. Homepro card, which is yellow bank Ayudhya.

It comes with your name on it, so no one can see its not your account

As for debetcards. most online shopping, rentalcars, hotels, airlines dont accept them since amounts can not be reserved, only withdrawn.

As for thai CC issuers, I have no idea how they would handle any problems, since I yet havent had one in 7 years

Well mate in my dealings with genuine rental car company's they will not except debit cards or cash only credit cards,

no credit card no car.

Well mate in my dealings with genuine rental car company's they will not except debit cards or cash only credit cards,

no credit card no car.

So we agree.:D

I even tryed 50k baht cash deposit when I didnt have a creditcard for a few months. Didnt work, no creditcard, no rentalcar from large companies. And the beachguys I dont rent from.:)

no credit card no car.

So we agree.:D

I even tryed 50k baht cash deposit when I didnt have a creditcard for a few months. Didnt work, no creditcard, no rentalcar from large companies. And the beachguys I dont rent from.:)

Sorry i missed the word (don't) in one of your sentences in a previous post we do agree .