Driving Test

David73

You don't actually need a car - if you turn up on foot and stick your hands out in front and pretend to steer, and make "brrm brrm" noises with your lips as you go through the maneuvering exercises you should pass, so long as you have a few baht sticking out of your back pocket.

In fact most of the examiners probably won't realise you have "forgotten" your car

Thanks, I have a UK licence with photo, but I understand that sometimes they want the international licence, which unless I go back to the UK, I will not have.

It's a while since I got my first licence, but I would think it very unlikely I had an IDP - which is only a permit to say you have a national driving licence so I can't think why they would logically need it - but TIT!

I think you can get IDPs here or over the net, but I've never felt the need.

perhaps someone has been more recently.

i'm also suspicious of the Pattaya office as it seems to thrive on confused foreigners who don't know the score but will pay just about any "fee" they are asked so long as they leave with a licence.

Edited by Deeral

Thanks, I have a UK licence with photo, but I understand that sometimes they want the international licence, which unless I go back to the UK, I will not have.

I find the U.S. IDP quite useful. If/when stopped by one of the BIBs, I hand over an expired IDP (do have a current one in my bag) and most of the time the BIB just waves me on, without a ticket and without paying a baht 200 "special fee."]

BTW, you can apply by post.

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Applying for an IDP by Post

Mac

Bangkok LTD used to accept "english translation certified by embassy" couple of years back when i did mine. So english DL could be accepted as it is. In any case that's what this so called international licence is, a translation of your home country DL.

Don't worry, if you cannot pass the full blown Thai test you should not be on the road anyway. :)

The test has nothing to do with driving skills. I had Thai DL several years but let it expire and had to do the test to get it renewed. And you know what, i didn't pass the test huh.gif

They claim i stopped too far from the line. Amazing eye sight this lady had as she was having noodles in the shade 50m away.

Told me i had to wait three days before i could try again. So i just went to the embassy the next day and got my DL translated. Out in 30 mins with new Thai DL and no one was worried about my driving skills laugh.gif

Yes happy to do the test, just wanted to know whether I can just take my own car, which is automatic or need one with gears. I passed the motorcycle test last year no problem.

Any car will do. Automatic or manual.

Thanks, I'll be driving to the test centre then and driving back, whatever the result !!! I have a UK licence, so maybe just colour blind and response test, with any luck.

Thanks again for your answers

I would not worry about colour blind test when i did mine i was still "green"and using falang logic so assumed they would be throwing in a different colour to catch you out on the traffic light test, so after 3 goes and replying blue to their faded green i had realy screwed them up and they did not know what to do and must have thought i was from Mars so i got a pass as i would blend in perfectly to Thai driving! or maybe i'm now colour blind in one of my three eyes:lol: .

Just took my card for motorcycle. At the same time there were a bunch taking their licens for cars and I must say that they don't care about gears or anything else. Just drive any car it will work. The test is taken on a courtyard where you have to show that you can drive forward and reverse.

When my wife took her test she even pulled over a lot of the plastic cones and passed. Need I say I don't let her drive the car.