Jam Sessions And Open Mics In Bk?

malaica

open mics are typically unpaid affairs, so you wouldn't require a work permit. to the OP, i believe there are a few open mic type nights in Pattaya. do yourself a favor and hit up some of the local bars that have live music and start asking around face-to-face. and good luck!

open mics are typically unpaid affairs, so you wouldn't require a work permit.

Wrong!!! So wrong!! If you are jamming or playing in a bar, you need a work permit. It's irrelevant that you are getting paid or not.

Simon

It is my hobby, not my job. I just wanted to know about the music scene in BK.

Sounds like there is not much music going on ..?

And it is true, that a work permit is required when jamming in a bar for free. Just like everywhere in the world, not only in Thailand.

But I never saw a policeman asking for a work permit to an occasional jammer when invited on stage for 2 songs.

It is correct to say that legally you need a WP even jamming, so you take a small risk. The chances of getting caught are slim, but possible. Getting caught will invariably mean paying off some crooked cop.

Nevertheless there are two or three places around BKK that have jam nights/open mics such as Silom, RCA and Khao San, and Rama 4 Klong Toey area.