Got 90 Day Non Imm O In Penang With No Problems.

This was painless. Went to a visa agent at Banana Guesthouse recommended by a guy who'd used him many times. The visa cost 220 ringets, the agents fee was 40.

Along with my passport I gave them copies of my income affidavit obtained from the US Embassy in Bangkok, a four day old letter from my bank stating the ammount in my baht savings account, a copy of my passbook and two photos. I didn't check the day's exchage rate, but the combo of the income statement and amount in account was close to or just over 800,000 baht. I doubt I needed that for the visa but I will need it when I ask for the 9 month extension now that I'm back in Thailand.

The agent said a one year multiple entry non imm o was available but I wasn't interested so I didn't get the details.

You should not have needed any of that financial information to obtain a non immigrant O visa if over age 50 and I sure would not be giving it to some third country national.

If you are intending to extend your stay it will be for 12 months (not nine) and you want to do that when you have less than 30 days remaining on your permitted to stay time.

You should not have needed any of that financial information to obtain a non immigrant O visa if over age 50 and I sure would not be giving it to some third country national.

If you are intending to extend your stay it will be for 12 months (not nine) and you want to do that when you have less than 30 days remaining on your permitted to stay time.

I am over 50 and going to Penang to hopefully get a multi non imm O based on marriage to a Thai. For the last 7 years I've only got them from UK or Bulgaria.

Will I not need to give any financial information then, if so GREAT as I don't keep much in Thai bank due to UK rates.

I am over 50 and going to Penang to hopefully get a multi non imm O based on marriage to a Thai. For the last 7 years I've only got them from UK or Bulgaria.

Will I not need to give any financial information then, if so GREAT as I don't keep much in Thai bank due to UK rates.

Not many reports of people obtaining this in Penang. Most go to KL who need to see 100,000 Baht in the bank.

Let us know how you get on.

Not many reports of people obtaining this in Penang. Most go to KL who need to see 100,000 Baht in the bank.

Will do but I hope lopburi3 is correct and I'll not have to show financial information.

Will do but I hope lopburi3 is correct and I'll not have to show financial information.

I think you will find that he was referring to a single entry , not a multi.

The map is not the terrain.

I contacted a visa agent before going to Penang, asked him what the requirements for a non-imm O for retirement were. He said: "Hi for an retirement o visa you must be more than 55 years old and have a bank statement for about 800 hundred thousand baht for a year multiple non o visa.For three months you can have about 2 to 3 hundred thousand baht."

Upon reaching Penang I went to a different agent, asked him about the requirements. He asked if I had a thai bank account passbook. No, but I have a copy. He looked grim. I said I have a four day old letter from bank certifying the amount. He read it, smiled and started the paperwork. I volunteered that I also had the income affidavit from the US Embassy. He smiled broadly and said there would be no problem getting the 3 month single entry visa.

Seems to me the main reason people report on their recent visa experiences is to inform the readers about what the current situation is at a given consulate or embassy. So, who am I going to believe if I 'should' provide the financial info? Two people who's business it is to turn visa submission requests into satisifed customers or someone on the net who's knowledge is out of date and doesn't know it yet?

Two people you do not know from a hole in the ground are provided access to your passport (ID) and financial information (bank accounts). Could lead to a very bad ending. If they can obtain the visa you can obtain the visa. And only registered/authorized personal will have access to your documents.

Your report is most appreciated and is how we learn things - but if there are errors (as your belief extension would only be nine months) or steps that could go wrong we do need to cover them also. If you are providing such information along with the ID to use that information to remove funds from your account I would be very concerned and walk away to deal directly with Consulate. Like most things it will likely not result in a problem. But it is a danger to be too open with access to such material.

I plan to go down to Penang soon for my first Non Imm O.

After returning & approaching the end of the 90 days, I'll apply for the Retirement Visa extension based on the 800K baht in bank rule.

If I read you correctly and from every thing I know, there's no need to bring affidavit letters, bank books etc to Penang when applying for the Non Imm O, correct?

Also, is there a real need for an agent?

Shouldn't imagine there's an appointment schedule to be listed on either. Just show up and apply.

Penang can be very restrictive and policy has changed often so I would not provide such material unless asked but I would have them available and I would do the process myself under current conditions there. It is show up and apply.

The more paperwork you have the better your chances are anywhere - but keep the paperwork in reserve until asked. They will ask if they feel it is required and that is the time to provide.

I have difficulty seeing how providing copies of my passbook and passport could be a problem. Looked like a small risk to me. Maybe I'm naive or ignorant. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know why so I can transfer the funds to a new account.

One could counterfit a copy of the passport and substitute their photo. That would give them ID and a copy of my signature for making a withdrawl, but what bank would do so for someone who only had a copy of a passbook?

One could counterfit a passbook, except they have no clue to the contents of the magnetic strip, parts of which I expect are encrypted.

One could avoid counterfiting by setting up a wire transfer over the phone. Is any bank going to do that with no way to confirm who they are dealing with?

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a chink in the banking system that has allowed a history of fradulant withdrawls from Thai banks?

I do not mean to panic anyone - the chance is slim. But there is a chance of someone having used your passport to make a copy (they have the passport - they can easily duplicate the mag strip - hopefully not the chip if new type passport but no bank would be reading that either). And in this case financial documents were also provided - when you start to combine items it become much more attractive to a bad guy. Penang as been involved in illegal passport activities in the past (and all applicants were required to present themselves when making visa applications for brief periods). It is best to be very selective in who you allow to have access to important documents. In Hat Yai, where the normal process is hotel holds travelers passport I started paying bills in advance to avoid that (after having a hotel lose my passport for several hours).

The map is not the terrain.

I contacted a visa agent before going to Penang, asked him what the requirements for a non-imm O for retirement were. He said: "Hi for an retirement o visa you must be more than 55 years old and have a bank statement for about 800 hundred thousand baht for a year multiple non o visa.For three months you can have about 2 to 3 hundred thousand baht."

Upon reaching Penang I went to a different agent, asked him about the requirements. He asked if I had a thai bank account passbook. No, but I have a copy. He looked grim. I said I have a four day old letter from bank certifying the amount. He read it, smiled and started the paperwork. I volunteered that I also had the income affidavit from the US Embassy. He smiled broadly and said there would be no problem getting the 3 month single entry visa.

Seems to me the main reason people report on their recent visa experiences is to inform the readers about what the current situation is at a given consulate or embassy. So, who am I going to believe if I 'should' provide the financial info? Two people who's business it is to turn visa submission requests into satisifed customers or someone on the net who's knowledge is out of date and doesn't know it yet?

First so much mi information;

If your over 50 you go to any thai emabassy and ask for a non immigrant type o visa single entry. Dont need show any money nothing. They will give it to you. then once ur in Thailand you go to immigration and apply for a 1year EXTENSION to the original visa ( note if this is the first time u need show 800,000 in the bank or an income which amounts to 800,000 or a combination of both ) for TWO months before u apply.

They will give ya a 1 year exteniosn and then iuf u want to leave u apply for a re-entry permit. one entry 1,000 baht multiple 3,900 baht. With this extension and if u do it every yera u never need leave thailand again

The above post has several small errors; and not all Consulate will issue such a visa but many will.

1. You extend your period of stay - not your visa.

2. Retirement requirement is 800k in bank 60 days or Embassy letter of 65k per month income or a combination to meet or exceed 800k per year. If using letter or combination the 60 days should not be required.

3. After first year the requirement would be 90 days in bank account.

4. Price of re-entry permit is 1,000 single entry or 3,800 multi entry.

The above post has several small errors; and not all Consulate will issue such a visa but many will.

1. You extend your period of stay - not your visa.

2. Retirement requirement is 800k in bank 60 days or Embassy letter of 65k per month income or a combination to meet or exceed 800k per year. If using letter or combination the 60 days should not be required.

3. After first year the requirement would be 90 days in bank account.

4. Price of re-entry permit is 1,000 single entry or 3,800 multi entry.

Not allways the case on point 2., i went for a retirement extension (first), had proof of income plus additional funds in thai bank, (total 800,000baht up)

I was given a permission stamp of 3 months and told that if my money stayed as was i would get my extension then....i have seen so many posters stating the above, eg. no seasoning on part and part, and yes even the form states this, BUT IT IS UP TO THEM, and if they want to play the will....AND you know if they want to change the rules they will...