Lifan Lf250-B

connda

Just got a email from Lifan Thailand, Bangkok...

Many bike to come next year... the Scooter I am interested in = early next year...

The bike here now and For Sale

Two cub:LF110-11H;LF110-26H

One motorcycle: LF100-3R

One dirt bike:LF200GY-5A

One cruise:LF250-B

Pls refer to our website www.lifanthailand.com to get the photo and specification.

Best Regards,

Sales Depart.

LIFAN MANUFACTURE(THAILAND)CO.,LTD

TEL:02-8954754 FAX:02-8954814

That web site doesn't quite get it for me, but this one does Lifan web site for model LF 250-B First thing that grabbed me is the posted top speed of only 100 km/hr. However, remembering what was said earlier here, the Chinese post this as it's the legal limit so it is a meaningless number. The next number is horsepower. It would appear to be a measly 13 horsepower. However, I know my Nouvo Elegance 135 produces 11.2 horsepower of one color or another. So I went to Wikipedia. My Elegance produces just 8.4 kw according to Wikipedia. So if we take 13 and subtract 8.4 from this and divide by 8.4 we come up with a 55 % increase. Multiply 11.2 by 1.55 gives us 17.36 horsepower which is about what the CBR 150 produces and the Tiger 250 offers. However, torque for the Nouvo Elegance is 10.6 to Wikipedia's torque figure of 19. This means the Lifan 250 produces roughly 80 percent more torque than the Nouvo Elegance. Contrast this torque figure at 6000 rpms to the 150 CBR's 13.5 at 8500 rpms.

Back to top speeds. Bikez has the CBR 150 managing 99.4 miles an hour. That's funny because my Honda CB 350 at double the displacement was basically a 90 mile per hour bike. My Honda CB 450 was only good for 100 miles an hour. But Bikez has the 350 Honda CB doing something like 103 miles an hour. Anyway there's a lot of numbers being churned out. I had tractors that had only about 90 horsepower but they could do an awful lot of work such as pulling buildings down, producing a nice seedbed to plant in with an 18 foot field cultivator. I'm wondering how a 160 horsepower Yamaha street bike engine would fare against one of those.

Hi Jack, just want to inform you the link you listed shows on the Lifan 250 a 13 KW this converts into 17,43 hp's

Hope that helps you to make a new calculation again :rolleyes:

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honda CBR150R doing 160km/h (99.4 miles/h) that do I need to see....

From one of the websites in the USA

'250-b it would top out at 94mph on flat ground'

or another site

'The 250B stock comes with a 110 jet, I went to a 130. carb jet modifications'

Lifan website in the USA and the UK state max speed 75mph... Max speed in the UK is 70mph and the USA 65mph

Many bike to come next year... the Scooter I am interested in = early next year...

Pls refer to our website www.lifanthailand.com to get the photo and specification.

Best Regards,

Sales Depart.

That web site doesn't quite get it for me, but this one does Lifan web site for model LF 250-B First thing that grabbed me is the posted top speed of only 100 km/hr. However, remembering what was said earlier here, the Chinese post this as it's the legal limit so it is a meaningless number. The next number is horsepower. It would appear to be a measly 13 horsepower. However, I know my Nouvo Elegance 135 produces 11.2 horsepower of one color or another. So I went to Wikipedia. My Elegance produces just 8.4 kw according to Wikipedia. So if we take 13 and subtract 8.4 from this and divide by 8.4 we come up with a 55 % increase. Multiply 11.2 by 1.55 gives us 17.36 horsepower which is about what the CBR 150 produces and the Tiger 250 offers. However, torque for the Nouvo Elegance is 10.6 to Wikipedia's torque figure of 19. This means the Lifan 250 produces roughly 80 percent more torque than the Nouvo Elegance. Contrast this torque figure at 6000 rpms to the 150 CBR's 13.5 at 8500 rpms.

Back to top speeds. Bikez has the CBR 150 managing 99.4 miles an hour. That's funny because my Honda CB 350 at double the displacement was basically a 90 mile per hour bike. My Honda CB 450 was only good for 100 miles an hour. But Bikez has the 350 Honda CB doing something like 103 miles an hour. Anyway there's a lot of numbers being churned out. I had tractors that had only about 90 horsepower but they could do an awful lot of work such as pulling buildings down, producing a nice seedbed to plant in with an 18 foot field cultivator. I'm wondering how a 160 horsepower Yamaha street bike engine would fare against one of those.

Hi Jack, just want to inform you the link you listed shows on the Lifan 250 a 13 KW this converts into 17,43 hp's

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Have to re-tune that calculator. Missed it by a hundredth or so.

Best Regards,

Sales Depart.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Have to re-tune that calculator. Missed it by a hundredth or so.

Actually it was me who got confused as you wrote mistakenly 13 Horsepowers (i underlined it) but actually meant 13 Kilowatts......and than you actually wrote the entire conversion from 13 kw to horsepowers down...confusing right?

Here is an easier way to get Kilowatts to HP's :

http://www.google.co.th/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=13+kilowatts+to+hp

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

For what it is worth, here are stats posted by "motorbike-warehouse" -for the model, but I did not note the date - and of course, we have 16 brake hp. For a twin, it ain't braking no records - fairly heavy too.

Engine/Transmission Engine Size (CC) 250 Wheel type Steel wire spokes Engine description 250cc, 60 degree in-line V-twin, air cooled, 4 stroke with TCI ignition Wheel size front inch Max speed (mph) 75 Wheel size rear inch Max power 16 bhp Tube or Tubeless Tube Max torque N.m/rpm Tyre size front

Cooling method air cooled Tyre size rear

Start Method Electric start Fuel capacity 0 L Transmission final chain drive Load Capacity 150 kg Gearbox type 5 speed manual gearbox Tool kit Yes Ignition

Body/Suspension

Body/Suspension

Colours Black Front brake Disk Seat height (mm) 780 Rear brake Drum Net weight 158 kg. ABS No Gross weight 182 kg. Miscellaneous Wheelbase (mm) 1495 Alarm fitted No Dimensions 2250mm x 850mm x 1140mm Instruction manual Yes Ground clearance (mm) 150 Top box fitted No Handlebar height 0 Front screen No Minimum turning circle (mm) 0 Any other key features

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got to see one in real life. There is a dealership here in Chiang Mai (not far from the train station across from the Mazda shop) that has three of them. 78,000 includes registration.

I think that I am interested. The bike looked a lot better than I was expecting, definitely better looking than the Phantom or the Boss. Quite a lot of chrome and a pretty nice sound too. My wife tried it on for size, and she can get her feet flat, which is something she can't do on her Hayate.

A relative said he will buy my CBR 150 around Christmas so if I don't fall in love with the CBR 250 I think this might be my Christmas present to me.

I have had a sport bike for 7 years already, maybe time to cruise for a while.

Here are some pics.

profile.jpg

chrome.jpg

Anch.jpg

Well I finally got to see one in real life. There is a dealership here in Chiang Mai (not far from the train station across from the Mazda shop) that has three of them. 78,000 includes registration.

I think that I am interested. The bike looked a lot better than I was expecting, definitely better looking than the Phantom or the Boss. Quite a lot of chrome and a pretty nice sound too. My wife tried it on for size, and she can get her feet flat, which is something she can't do on her Hayate.

A relative said he will buy my CBR 150 around Christmas so if I don't fall in love with the CBR 250 I think this might be my Christmas present to me.

I have had a sport bike for 7 years already, maybe time to cruise for a while.

Here are some pics.

profile.jpg

chrome.jpg

Anch.jpg

These are really nice pics and sure looks better than phantom or boss thx for sharing....did you have any chance to test it or was it only looking,testseating and starting engine? I think it was mentioned before somwhere but how many hp's and whats the max speed for these...5 or 6 gear box?

mbox

You would certainly need take one for a decent test ride before choosing between the Lifan and the CBR 250. Really chalk and cheese.

Remember also that in 5 years time you will still get around 80,000 for the CBR 250. The Lifan in 5 years would be 20000 if you are lucky. (My guess of course!!)

I used a Phantom/Boss for 2 years before getting the CBR 150......I could nevere never go back to a cruiser style bike. The manouverability and performance in traffic cannot be compared. Acceleration, which can be a crucial safety factor in some situations would be way way better on even a CBR 150.. Same with the braking,, the CBR 150 and 250 will stop way faster. The difference could be stopping in time compared to being wiped out!! Spoked wheels....a life of punctures!! Heavy bike to push 20km to a bike shop!!

But admittedly I am a big fan of the Honda CBRs for Thai driving conditions, so it is a biased view point.

Who could but agree. Look at that rear fender. Clearly this bike was not designed to allow the bike to do wheelies, which defeats the essential purpose of a real motorcycle entirely - how else can you be a man? Also, while the pillion will sit higher, it will not be so high (as on the new Hondas) that the pillion can see ahead to give directions to the driver every step of the way. Those cruisers have no purpose in life. (Unless you want to set it straight on the road, happy at 100, getting from place to place in the country, comfortably.)

But a bike for showing away or for cities it ain't.

Tell the truth (seriously), all that chrome gives one pause. Certainly would not want it at the beach. If it were not for the fact that the model is to sell in the States, I'd have considerable reservations about the finish.

But it is a Lifan - says so, tank and engine. And nobody will ever, ever, steal it.

And as for the Honda 250, there is likely to be no aspect of operation in which it is not superior, excepting perhaps - cruise. Not even mileage.

Edited by CMX

These are really nice pics and sure looks better than phantom or boss thx for sharing....did you have any chance to test it or was it only looking,testseating and starting engine? I think it was mentioned before somwhere but how many hp's and whats the max speed for these...5 or 6 gear box?

mbox

Thanks, I didn't get to test drive, they said no, so there is still a mystery about what it will be like to drive.

The main Lifan site lists a top speed as 100km, but they have to because of Chinese law. What the actual top speed is is also a mystery.

Here is some other specs:

Motorcycle model: LF250-B

Dimension ((L×B×H mm): 2250*780*1140

Wheel base (mm):1495

Min.Ground Clearance (mm): 150

Dry Weight: 152kg

Height Of Seat (mm): 670

Fuel Tank Capacity(L): 14

Engine Type: double-cylinder, air-cooled,four-stroke

Engine model: 2V49FMM

Bore×Stroke: 49mm*66mm

Displacement: 248.9ml

Maximum Net Power 13kw/8000r/min

Maximum Torque: 19N.m/6000r/min

Clutch: Wet multi-plate

Lubrication: Pressure/splash

Start: Electric start

Ignition: T.C.I

Transmission: 5 gear

Max. Speed (km/h): 100km/h

Economical Fuel Consumption (l/100km): ≤2.4L/100km

Front Type Size and Air Pressure: 3.00-18/200KPa

Rear Type Size and Air Pressure: 5.00-15/225KPa

Climbing Ability (°): ≥20°

Exhaust Index: CO≤3.8%;HC≤800ppm

Start Performance: ≤15s

Braking system (front/rear): disk/drum

Brake Performance: ≤7m/30km/h

mbox

Thanks, I didn't get to test drive, they said no, so there is still a mystery about what it will be like to drive.

The main Lifan site lists a top speed as 100km, but they have to because of Chinese law. What the actual top speed is is also a mystery.

Here is some other specs:

Motorcycle model: LF250-B

Dimension ((L×B×H mm): 2250*780*1140

Wheel base (mm):1495

Min.Ground Clearance (mm): 150

Dry Weight: 152kg

Height Of Seat (mm): 670

Fuel Tank Capacity(L): 14

Engine Type: double-cylinder, air-cooled,four-stroke

Engine model: 2V49FMM

Bore×Stroke: 49mm*66mm

Displacement: 248.9ml

Maximum Net Power 13kw/8000r/min

Maximum Torque: 19N.m/6000r/min

Clutch: Wet multi-plate

Lubrication: Pressure/splash

Start: Electric start

Ignition: T.C.I

Transmission: 5 gear

Max. Speed (km/h): 100km/h

Economical Fuel Consumption (l/100km): ≤2.4L/100km

Front Type Size and Air Pressure: 3.00-18/200KPa

Rear Type Size and Air Pressure: 5.00-15/225KPa

Climbing Ability (°): ≥20°

Exhaust Index: CO≤3.8%;HC≤800ppm

Start Performance: ≤15s

Braking system (front/rear): disk/drum

Brake Performance: ≤7m/30km/h

I found in the US they mentoned it has 18,5 hos and does 80mph which is close to 130kph. Should be ok for a cruiser really....

Those who compare 250cc cruiser with a 250cc (or even a 150cc) sporty bike it is really not about performance . They are complete different style of bikes...and sometimes we just feel like for a change in riding style.

This sure applies to me too having ridden a good mix of different bikes and each of them had "something" which was appreciated.

On the video here it sounds pretty ok :

mbox

You would certainly need take one for a decent test ride before choosing between the Lifan and the CBR 250. Really chalk and cheese.

Remember also that in 5 years time you will still get around 80,000 for the CBR 250. The Lifan in 5 years would be 20000 if you are lucky. (My guess of course!!)

I used a Phantom/Boss for 2 years before getting the CBR 150......I could nevere never go back to a cruiser style bike. The manouverability and performance in traffic cannot be compared. Acceleration, which can be a crucial safety factor in some situations would be way way better on even a CBR 150.. Same with the braking,, the CBR 150 and 250 will stop way faster. The difference could be stopping in time compared to being wiped out!! Spoked wheels....a life of punctures!! Heavy bike to push 20km to a bike shop!!

But admittedly I am a big fan of the Honda CBRs for Thai driving conditions, so it is a biased view point.

Here's the thing, I have been riding a CBR 150 since 2003, so I am bored with it. The 250 offers something a little more substantial, and I am sorely tempted by the ABS. But I don't know if the 250 is different enough. I like the baby Ninja, but now we are talking twice the price of Lifan.

and as far as resale goes, I doubt you will see this bike go below 40k in 5 years unless the bike gets a bad rep. But the CBR 250 costs 40k more(ABS version) So I am ahead 40k on day one. The real question for me is, will I like a cruiser? I have only driven a Phantom, and it had some appeal in the comfort category. I sure hate riding my CBR long distances. I want a bike I will like on the highway, but still gets me around town without a workout.

By the time I buy a Lifan, I will have driven a CBR 250, but I doubt I'll get a test ride on a Lifan.

Can someone else buy one and let me try it B)

I see lifan is also the source of those 2 sizes of cheap pitbikes..

Even got em in my local big C !!

do they sell them under the name lifan or something else written on it?

Will double check next time I pass but its deffo the same one(s) as listed on the website.

Thx for the Vid Judas, must say this is quite impressing ( even though the name lifan still sucks) but for a cruiser it seems to be doing really well..i also find that it accelerated pretty decent too on the Vid considering that its a 250cc cruiser.

mbox

or another site

Lifan website in the USA and the UK state max speed 75mph... Max speed in the UK is 70mph and the USA 65mph

USA top speed is 80mph.

In the United States, speed limits are set by each of the states. Variations state by state are shown on a map/chart by Wiki. Speeds run from 60 (rare) to 80 away from dense populations. Moreover, some states' police allow small additions before ticketing.

or another site

USA top speed is 80mph.

which is a lot more than Honda Phantom 200 :)

I went to see these samples in Chiang Mai. The sales staff there seem willing to solicit customers rather than look the other way. One woman, articulate in English, scored some points which tends to support the idea that Lifan is putting resources into the effort. I was told that they are the dealer in CM and will be the service center. They have parts - "Don't worry about that." Also, there are dealers in the three biggest towns near us - Chiang Rai, Lamphun, and Lampang.

Two year warranty on the engine and the 78 thousand includes basic insurance, green book and of course license plate = all in. She added that this bike is being sold around the world. There is a sticker on the bike saying "Made in Thailand," which I interpret to mean assembled. She added that her boss had himself gone to the factory. And yes, the seat looks big and comfortable and vertically challenged people will enjoy the height of the seat.

They had a specs sheet which suggests that the present price is 20K lower - but they'd be fools to increase it to 100,000, twin or not, at least until they get a foothold.

Pretty bike - hope they stay that way with all those shiny parts. Tank takes14 liters, weighs 152, and they give the compression at 10:1 ((1). Five gears, drum brake in rear.

Outfit's name here is chaichanaautobike

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I joined this forum after I saw the pictures, went to see the bike, and I bought one. So it is kinda dumb, because nobody has reported, and I can't get all the figures straight from different sources, but here's what I think now.

The Lifan Custom 250 V-twin is more powerful than the old Honda CBR 150 – at 18, by one horsepower. And it weighs a good deal more, 30kg I think. So the Honda will kick the Lifan's behind in everything except maybe comfort, depending. But Lifan will out-duel a Phantom or a Boss or other Chinese bikes with similar looks. Still, it is not made for speed either.

There are those who will look at all that beautiful chrome and like it for appearance because on show, it makes a good first impression. I am not one who likes the look – for one thing, that style is dying away (replaced by plastic often) and adds nothing to function. More importantly, the quality of these being built here in Thailand, even by a humongous Chinese company, is not yet proved. However the bike is being sold, I was told by the dealer here, in 70 nations and I find that it has been available in the United States for a few years now. Moreover, Lifan is trying to get a good foothold worldwide – playing the long game, I think - so the gamble to purchase one might have been worthwhile even though depreciation must certainly be a consideration. Still, for many farang, at 78,000 baht all in, including a two year warranty on the engine, it does not represent a huge investment. I bought one and picked it up on Christmas day – that was fun!

I have read available posts. "news" - whoever that is – claims in one place that the rear wheel, being larger, wants to stay upright. My own experience after two days is that introducing curves are not challenged by the larger rear tire and my rear tire is not flat at all, the impression one gets in "new's" article, but rounded. For this rider, taking curves on the bike is conventional.

Tires aside, anyone accustomed to upper speeds will find the bike lacking. This 250 perhaps (mine is too new to tell) will be happy at maybe 120 and not much more. However, it is not without torque, and the Lifan (I was given a company red jacket with the best slogan they could invent so far: "Enjoy Lifan, Enjoy Life") delivers it in lower and middle rpm's. For me, that is more than enough in Thailand.

First thing you might notice on the bike after the electrics come up is the bike's lack of a gasoline gauge. However, it has a digital "trip" meter and a "reserve" setting. I prefer these, as my experience of fuel gauges on bikes has been disappointing. At 9.5 liters, the twin 250 cannot be said to have "long legs" but I have no reliable figures yet.

Next, I encountered the beeping sound found from a truck backing up whenever I activated the turn signal. I like it. Other riders notice too. However, thinking the bike a Phantom, Boss, Platinum or J somebody, folks hardly give it notice. Little do they know that this is more powerful, probably. I believe that my horn is louder too, even if the muffler is not.

Some of us are not at our best returning to the fetal-like position that is the only sensible position for sports riding. What this Lifan does offer is comfort for the rider accustomed to sit on a bike as one would when dining at a (low) table. The bike is well and softly sprung and the seat is good. Given large tires, it rides smoothly. Sitting up to see around, taking a leisurely tour, commanding more power than the popular Phantom can deliver is, for some of us, perfect. Bike's an armchair cruiser and couldn't catch a squirrel.

Many claim that it is much akin to Yamaha's 250 Virago, though this has been semi-denyed by quibblers. Engine specs and some others seem identical or close. I could say that my bike is sophisticated, because it is in smooth in operation, the gears are easily accessible up and down + neutral, maneuvers "standard" for the type, controls standard, and the braking was immediately sound, in spite of the rear drum. However, there is some vibration in my twin – which must take some doing. I notice it most in my knees against the wide tank, but it can be discerned at the handles. I've ridden worse and it is not annoying to me, however, and mine is just one sample. Mine came with every control working perfectly, as I had the dealer's mechanic, who was right there for delivery, set the mirrors exactly for my use. At the first oil change, I think I'll have him - per the owner's manual - lower the foot brake level a tad.

There are two choices for handlebars, one that is mounted higher. That that too was adjusted to my use. What I appreciated a great deal was that the dealer here in Chiang Mai and his sales staff are fluent in English. I don't know a word of Thai, except however many words can be found in hello sounds. If service is as good as the first impressions (a big step, we'll admit), I will be delighted.

More on top speeds and initial fuel usage and further on more ambitious handling in a while.

Paul

Edited by PaulD

"Remember also that in 5 years time you will still get around 80,000 for the CBR 250."

personally. I do not agree with this statement. Bike prices ARE going to drop as more become available. simple economics... so i believe that a 5 year old Cbr250 will be closer to ..umm...79,000b :D:D:D

"Remember also that in 5 years time you will still get around 80,000 for the CBR 250."

personally. I do not agree with this statement. Bike prices ARE going to drop as more become available. simple economics... so i believe that a 5 year old Cbr250 will be closer to ..umm...79,000b :D:D:D

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Way I guesstimate, IF I could get an ABS for 115K, and IF inflation over 5 years was only 2.8% (average the last 10 years, they say, but it's been crazy up and down), and IF I sold the CBR 250 after five years for 80K, it would have cost me, exclusive of all maintenance and fuel etc, 1105 baht or so each month in depreciation alone. I cannot rent the cheapest Wave for more than double that. On a day by day alternative, that would allow me less than 40 baht a day for public transportation every day of the month.

Just about as cheap as chips, as some say. But 80.000 five years from now might be pretty high estimate, the way the 250 market is filling up - except it is a Honda.

Edited by CMX

Well, I joined this forum after I saw the pictures, went to see the bike, and I bought one. So it is kinda dumb, because nobody has reported, and I can't get all the figures straight from different sources, but here's what I think now.

More on top speeds and initial fuel usage and further on more ambitious handling in a while.

Paul

Thanks for that report Paul, I look forward to hearing more. I am about 90 percent sure I will be picking one up soon as well. But the more info I can get ahead of time the better.

Edited by canuckamuck