Postal Services For Sending Packages To Thailand

Hi,

I want to send a few personal items to my home in Chiang Mai from the UK but unsure what postage service to use?

I have a beautiful BOSE sound system that doesn't get used much so I fancy sending that to my girlfriend. If I could, I would send this myself but I wont be going for a while so that's why I thought about sending it via post.

I also want to send the girlfriend an iphone and a cheap nokia phone for her brother as it's his birthday coming up so these would also need to be sent.

Either way, even if I just sent out the phones what postal service would you recommend?

Will she have to pay tax on any thing I decide to send?

Will it get there without customs (accidently) loosing them :ph34r: ?

I don't mind paying for the peace of mind that she will get these items safely - and preferable - tax free.

Thanks

It's an obvious point I know but I assume that you can trust the recipients not to sell, lose or damage your Bose system!

You might get away with posting small items wrapped to look like a book from Amazon or something like that. The Bose is risky. You would have to send it by a carrier such as DHL unless you want it to share a container on a ship (shipping agents are on the internet). Customs officials here are crooks, a national disgrace, from my experience and will hold to ransom anything that looks valuable. Total taxes and fees could amount to 60% of the declared value, even the 'no receipt' version of the total. Worse, Customs may decide the value for themselves and include the shipping cost. If you want to argue about it, They will hold the goods for months while the are 'valued' (lost or damaged). I would bring it as baggage on the nest trip rather then send it.

It's an obvious point I know but I assume that you can trust the recipients not to sell, lose or damage your Bose system!

You might get away with posting small items wrapped to look like a book from Amazon or something like that. The Bose is risky. You would have to send it by a carrier such as DHL unless you want it to share a container on a ship (shipping agents are on the internet). Customs officials here are crooks, a national disgrace, from my experience and will hold to ransom anything that looks valuable. Total taxes and fees could amount to 60% of the declared value, even the 'no receipt' version of the total. Worse, Customs may decide the value for themselves and include the shipping cost. If you want to argue about it, They will hold the goods for months while the are 'valued' (lost or damaged). I would bring it as baggage on the nest trip rather then send it.

The destination for this is my lounge. If the recipient was to sell this then I would be really suprsised; she is the one TGF I have come to trust out of a multitude of poor choices. But thanks anyway for the concern.. :P

My main concern is the "crooks" at customs. Has anybody successfully sent over packages that contained items of worth - such as a phone - without being subjected to this crazy tax system?

I don't mind paying DHL prices, I just dont want to end up getting raped by a taxation system that is clearly out to procure large sums of money. Not wanting to suggest something illegal, just open to the 'fairest' suggestion of sending packages.

Sounds crazy huh? All I want to do is send something of mine into the country, yet find myself at the mercy of corrupt customs officers'. So just to reliterate: If anybody has found a 'fair' means of sending stuff over, i'm - as i'm sure many others - are all ears?

:jap:

I used these people once to send a couple of boxes by surface. I won't go so far as to say that they are good but they do the job legally. Don't rely on their cardboard boxes. You should put your Bose into something very strong and then into the regulation box. My boxes turned up crushed and covered in black dust. Air freight might be better. The agent in Thailand will want original ID sent to BKK and a sum will have to be paid to Customs. Despite requests I never got a receipt.

Excess Baggage Company - Free Quote - Shipping & Storage Services

My brother sends me a package every month from the UK via the Royal Mail's 'International Signed For'. Never failed in the two years he's been doing it.. Anything up to 5 kgs in weight can be sent this way. My package costs about £15 in postage and I have to pay the Thai postal service 7baht at this end to either the postman or the post office. A customs declaration has to be filled out in the UK so I'm not sure what the implications would be if you stated that the contents were a mobile phone?