What Percentage Of Your Monthly Income To You Put Towards Rent?

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because everything aside from street food and housing is so expensive in Thailand, you need to dedicate a small percentage of your income to housing to make up ground. Otherwise, you will find that your disposable income doesn't go far each month if you want to have a similar lifestyle to the US.

Here's what I would do in your situation. Check into a cheapish hotel for a couple of weeks while you get your feet on the ground. If your job is not near the BTS or the Subway, you will want to live near your job! If this is the case, see if a Thai co-worker or an ex-pat who speaks some Thai can help you check out the nearby apartment buildings. You should be able to find a nice place with A/C, a pool, a mini-mart, laundry and restaurant for less than 10,000b. As a single guy, I would see if maid service is available.

If your new job is near a BTS or Subway station, then you're set. Just take a ride out to On Nut or Ratchada or Air or even Bang Sue and start looking for a place like the one I described above. A lot of guys want to live near Sukhumvit, where all the trendy nightclubs & bars & restaurants are, but it's much more expensive than the rest of Bangkok and you can get there easily by BTS, so why stay in the middle of a 'human zoo'?

I've lived near Victory Monument, out on Lad Prao and near Ratchada. I wouldn't recommend Lad Proa, except the bits near Ratchada, but the other two areas are very comfortable and convenient.