Car Hire

cuddleypete

hi agian to everyone

iam going back to thialand next month to see wife,and i am going to kalasin in the north to stay at her mums,i want to hire a car so we can have a look around while there,i have bieng before so do know my way round,but never botherd getting a car,so if any one has any sound advice for me in getting a car ,i would be very greatfull.

keep up the good work everyone

cannot wait to get there and see wife and get away from the dump i live in ,its called ENGLAND ,and i can have nice food ,hot weather ,plenty to drink,and best of all lots off beautifull ladys, but i no look because wife there

what a lovery place thailand is ,the land of smile's

You should have an IDP of your UK licence but if not I would only rent from the international type places that you are sure insurance will cover you in the event of an accident (some Thai insurance might not cover a foreign licence without an IDP). Budget is probably a good choice as they have offices all over the country but if you have the IDP you may find better rates from less well known places (but you also take your chances with many of them).

But you might ask the wife is there is perhaps someone available to take you around. That way you would be paying more directly into the local village, wife would gain respect; and you would not have to worry about driving. And it would probably be cheaper. :o

I always hire a car from Don Muang and drive across to Isaan. I prefer to use Budget (usually get a Honda CRV) but have also used Avis - they are more expensive. I have a Budget a/c and book over the internet.

Normally I get to Sisaket same day but you may not feel like a days' drive after a long haul flight from UK. Maybe stop over in Saraburi - I sometimes do that too (hotels a bit iffy but cheap, a good seafood restaurant there). Another option is to get a car from Ubon Airport (Budget operate out of there too).

The roads in general are reasonably good and you drive on the correct side of the road :o

I'll also probably be doing the same again next month.

I always hire a car from Don Muang and drive across to Isaan. I prefer to use Budget (usually get a Honda CRV) but have also used Avis - they are more expensive. I have a Budget a/c and book over the internet.

Normally I get to Sisaket same day but you may not feel like a days' drive after a long haul flight from UK. Maybe stop over in Saraburi - I sometimes do that too (hotels a bit iffy but cheap, a good seafood restaurant there). Another option is to get a car from Ubon Airport (Budget operate out of there too).

The roads in general are reasonably good and you drive on the correct side of the road :D

I'll also probably be doing the same again next month.

You forgot to say "you drive on the correct side of the road" but the majority of Thais don't. :o