Nearly Grapefruit Juice

Greenside

My favourite fruit juice is grapefruit and it's nigh on impossible to get here as is the fruit itself. I've found that pomelo (som O or something similar in Thai) are about the closest I can get but no juice until last week when I found Chabba has started selling it and even better Rimping had a promotion at 42 baht a litre.

For those who miss the real thing, try some of this over ice with a good twist of lime to sharpen it up a bit. Brilliant with soda, too. I only bought half a dozen so I'll be going back for more.:rolleyes:

post-40471-087230300 1277374573_thumb.jp

Rimping also sell a reasonable tinned (I know !) grapefruit-juice, at about 65 Baht for 1.2 litres. I first saw it in a bar in Hat Yai, then looked on the shelf back here, and there it was !

Isn't it nice to add a dash of lemon/lime-juice, to make a weak squash tastier, and less-sweet ? Carrefour currently do a watered-down 1.5 litre bottle, marked-down at about 40 Baht, called 'Ruamos Brand' which they think we farangs use for cooking ! B)

Rimping also sell a reasonable tinned (I know !) grapefruit-juice, at about 65 Baht for 1.2 litres. I first saw it in a bar in Hat Yai, then looked on the shelf back here, and there it was !

Isn't it nice to add a dash of lemon/lime-juice, to make a weak squash tastier, and less-sweet ? Carrefour currently do a watered-down 1.5 litre bottle, marked-down at about 40 Baht, called 'Ruamos Brand' which they think we farangs use for cooking ! B)

I'm sure it's made by Brookes in a green and yellow tin.

Pomelo or Somo juice comes and goes off the supermarket shelves, due probably to seasonal supply. Right now the fruit is available in the Supermarkets and the variety Big C is selling is particularly good.Just glad my wife has the patience to peel and pop in the fridge.

I think I'll go get a bag of lime juice from the market and come up with the formula that will make it a cocktail contender. Watch this space.

Canned grapefruit juice at 65 baht for a litre and a bit sounds like a deal. BTW why is it, in a land that grows tens of thousands of tons of oranges, that pasteurised juice in the supermarket (all kinds, pretty much) is so darned expensive. It's somewhere about half the price in the UK and we have to have it shipped in from heaven knows where.

Rimping at Mee Choek and Riverside both had supplies and the promotion earlier this week. While I'm on the subject of Rimping, the 5L box of Celebration red wine was cheaper than Makro by 50 baht last week - that was a surprise.

> Out of curiosity, is there a reason grapefruit is not grown in Thailand? We have oranges and pomelos, so why not grapefruit?

Yes there is. I've seen them (and bought them) at the Doi Kham store. They're not usually/steadily available though. And they're HIGHLY unpopular with Thais. ;) Just too bitter. ;) Objectively, Som O are the superior fruit you have to admit.

> Out of curiosity, is there a reason grapefruit is not grown in Thailand? We have oranges and pomelos, so why not grapefruit?

Yes there is. I've seen them (and bought them) at the Doi Kham store. They're not usually/steadily available though. And they're HIGHLY unpopular with Thais. ;) Just too bitter. ;) Objectively, Som O are the superior fruit you have to admit.

If you can find a good Som O, they are mostly too dry and flavorless in my experience. :)

Out of curiosity, is there a reason grapefruit is not grown in Thailand? We have oranges and pomelos, so why not grapefruit?

Its the reverse in Australia, we have loads of Grapefruit but only imported Pomelo accoding to the local fruiterers. When I introduce visitors to Thailand, Pomelo, they are most impressed.

If you can find a good Som O, they are mostly too dry and flavorless in my experience. :)

True but right now they are at their best with the slightly yellow skinned ones the go.

for a long time now both Tops and Rimping have had refrigerated bottles of grapefruit juice, i think Florida brand?!? I don't go through gallons of the stuff but its always there when I've looked. It is in the fridge though, never seen it with the boxed cartons of juice. Will have to try the cans as from whats been said - a lot cheaper !

And perfectly drinkable, over plenty of ice ! :)

I'm also currently trialling well-watered hard-to-find 'Queen'-brand Guava-squash, with a dash of lemon-juice & plenty of ice, as a suitably astringent hot-season cooling-libation. B)

OMG, I appear to have ingested a dictionary, or some such ! :o:lol:

I love som o and grapefruit. Just a word of caution for those who aren't aware of it; grapefruit degrades the efficacy of cholesterol reducing drugs.

I imagine that som o (pomelo) , as a citrus, might also do the same. Enjoy.

Cheers

How much sugar in the box?

None, as far as I can see.

Just made a great mix of about 1/5th lime juice (25%) to 4/5ths pomelo, mixed it with soda and it was pretty good. In the interest of science I also bought a can of the grapefruit juice mentioned above but haven't tried it yet. This afternoon, Rimping Riverside had a big hole in the display where the pomelo juice should have been so I guess one or two of you got there first....