Bring The Laptop Or Not?

gate7

If you can get by using an internet cafe, then don't bother - but if you are on business, will you not need the computer for documents etc that you may wish to work on?

Personally I always travel with my laptop...not something my wife is happy about, but she realises that our family income depends on my working and being in communication at all times...

You can easily get hold of pre-paid internet accounts here too..although I have heard that some do need registration along with ID, such as P/P or whatever...

Edited by Greer

i worry mostly about the security of the d*mned thing. I will be crashing in hotels and such, so i dont know how safe it will be to leave it around hotel rooms.

Do the cleaning ladies have "long" hands?

You gotta git busy living, or you be busy dying

:D It depends: If you are going to be doing lots of :D:D:o then leave it.

However, If you are going to be sensible and businesslike...

...Go to Singapore.

:D:D

my common sense says "flunk it"!!

....or i am worrying too much?

hey, first time there, dont know what to expect really....

With the tv's closing at midnight it might be handy to have your laptop so you can play some videos. Most hotels hotels have tv but I've never seen a videoplayer in the room.

5555 thanks Kayo!

You guys party and stuff, but you are here every day and hour.

And i dont think you are writing from an Internet Cafe!

I will pass Singapore for now at least!

Not every day.

Only when I'm working....

Oh, that'll be every day then!

*I work in a bar*

I'm deceiving everybody by going dutch.... My laptop, connected to a cafe's server.

:o:D

You may consider bringing an iPod or a flash based pen drive instead. You can have your apps and docs on it, connect it to the USB port at the internet cafe and have all your essential needs at your disposal without the need to lug around that laptop.

You would need to use your common sense..!  :o

totster  :D

Sound advice,

I've carried a laptop / notebook all over the LOS, never had a problem, again common sense goes a long way.

Most things will be safe in your room, whether your wi-fi'ing on the beach, (across from Starbucks, Pattaya), or reading your home newspaper while having coffee, (Landmark's Cafe, Bkk, free high bandwidth hot-zone), like anything, keep it with you or within sight and you'll be fine. :D

You would need to use your common sense..!  :o

totster  :D

Sound advice,

I've carried a laptop / notebook all over the LOS, never had a problem, again common sense goes a long way.

Most things will be safe in your room, whether your wi-fi'ing on the beach, (across from Starbucks, Pattaya), or reading your home newspaper while having coffee, (Landmark's Cafe, Bkk, free high bandwidth hot-zone), like anything, keep it with you or within sight and you'll be fine. :D

Back up all info on one of those toggles around your neck and if your travelling it should be covered by insurance if not get same.

Quality of hotel = check in valuables

otherwise eat, sleep and walk with your laptop come backpack.

I have associates who travel here regularly never had a problem

and you can always buy a chain and padlock and secure your wardrobe or some other secure place in your room.

Again travel insurance ans sensible back up daily

I alway take my laptop with me when I go to Thailand. It really depends on the place you stay, if you are staying at serviced appartments you should not have any problems. You can always give the cleaning lady 100 bhat tip the 2nd day you move in that will help you too. 30,000+ service appartments could also be the reason too. Just my 2 bhats worth :o

Bring your laptop if you have a GPRS phone and a way to connect it to your laptop. You can get GPRS access at 1 baht per min on pre-pay. Its not bad.

If you are worried about it getting stolen from hotel why not bring a few chains to wrap around it and lock it to the bed or something.

Or leave it at reception if you trust them.

my common sense says "flunk it"!!

....or i am worrying too much?

hey, first time there, dont know what to expect really....

With the tv's closing at midnight it might be handy to have your laptop so you can play some videos. Most hotels hotels have tv but I've never seen a videoplayer in the room.

At the Grace Hotel, northern Nana soi.

There was a vcd, maybe dvd? player in the double room. Very affortable option to crash anyway. Even cheaper than Nana Hotel. Double was about 1000 baht. Also you get the exotic feeling of being in a muslim country. They have some of the Arab channels too like Al-Jazeera. Great experience.

• 1 month later...

What do the customs think about laptops? I have a shiny 100 000+ baht Powerbook that doesn't exactly look cheap nor old, but it's for my personal use and I'm bringing it back with me (unless it's stolen) so I would hardly like to pay taxes or - :o - have it confiscated.

And should I be able to get away with the laptop, can I bring my small video projector also, or am I pushing my luck there?

Of course you can bring them. Why would there be a problem? So long as they're for personal or business use you'd have no problem. I go through BKK customs at least monthly and have never been stopped or asked for anything. I always have my laptop with me.

This isnt the wild west, you know.

I go through BKK customs at least monthly and have never been stopped or asked for anything.

Thanks, this is valuable information. However, your point of view appears somewhat simplistic to me as I have understood that the duty free allowance for personal/professional use is 10 000 baht only and the fact that you haven't been stopped yet hardly proves there won't be any trouble once they do stop you and check your belongings.

Yes, I usually worry way too much. Then again, I rarely get in trouble... :o

I say leave it at home unless you have programs and files you need.

There are internet shops everywhere.

Sounds to me like you will be exploring the Country a bit so.

My experience is connecting a laptop from many Hotels can often be a problem but many hotspots are popping up nowdays.