Your Opinion Of Phuket

grumpyoldman

I would still like to know where you can buy a seafood meal in Phuket for 40 baht???? that is blatantly not possile.

Any noodle stall (noodle soup with one of the following; prawn/squid/fishballs).

Hardly seafood............whats for Xmas dinner, KFC bargain bucket:lol:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thais that earn that salary if they do, get their accomodation and food included so they have 6,000 disposable income, on top of that they get overtime and other benefits.

A lot of Thais earn 6,000 Baht, and most of them will be working for small businesses. That means normally: housing included, but no meals, overtime worked but not paid, no benefits whatsoever.

Initial cost of motorbike will be approx 40,000, so over a two year period that is already almost 2,000 a month on your budget and that is without the repairs and servicing etc.

Sorry, but here you really don't know what you're talking about.

Just how much does a scooter cost??????????? click, mio, wave, scoopie, fino...all around the 40k mark

I lived in Phuket for 10 years and left in 2006 to move near Chiang Mai.

When I moved to Phuket in 1996, I considered it paradise. But over time, with development, traffic, pollution, scams, corruption and people, it lost it's shine and I moved on.

Obviously some people still enjoy it, but people can rationalize and overlook a lot of negatives to defend their decision to live in Phuket, until the pain or hassle of staying is greater than the pain of leaving. I noticed a few people considering the move to Chiang Mai - thats the balance of pain about to change.

Like LOS, if I could get a passport for my wife, I would leave Thailand. There are a few other places I'd like to try.

I do question why people who are so negative still stay in Phuket. There is a place that suits you better somewhere out there - go seek it out.

In my opinion, Phuket is just a tourist destination. You could argue that there are pockets of Phuket that are still nice, but you still have to endure the pollution, over development, the high season and the transient Thai's in "gold rush fever". I don't think it's livable long term and will only get worse...but for an extended vacation for someone motivated by cheap beer and hookers, average beaches and copy T-shirts, it's heaven.

agree with you mate....its liveability can only get worse because the issues i raised , along with the other <deleted> that doesn't directly concern me ..tuk tuks touts etc are not going to go away...

i have stayed here near 20 years albeit only low season 6 months because of family financial benefits, which i take care of and duty and care of family assets.

i loved it here for years and years, but as i said... post sunami the place has deteriorated at ever increasing rate.

i do still enjoy bits and pieces, and as someone said...its what you make it..this was from a relatively new resident full of'.. go here,go there, do this ,do that

problem is after such a long time here as in my case, its all lost its novelty and gets harder and harder to be stimulated.

the overall reaction to my honest criticism is quite bewildering to me.. bringing all the nasties out en masse but its only because they for some sad reason take it as a personal attack...[ i think ] :blink: maybe just insecure people??

,Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.” Winston Churchill

Edited by ausinpatong

The Thais that earn that salary if they do, get their accomodation and food included so they have 6,000 disposable income, on top of that they get overtime and other benefits.

A lot of Thais earn 6,000 Baht, and most of them will be working for small businesses. That means normally: housing included, but no meals, overtime worked but not paid, no benefits whatsoever.

Initial cost of motorbike will be approx 40,000, so over a two year period that is already almost 2,000 a month on your budget and that is without the repairs and servicing etc.

Sorry, but here you really don't know what you're talking about.

Just how much does a scooter cost??????????? click, mio, wave, scoopie, fino...all around the 40k mark

you're right, that remark from me about the cost of a motorbike was a misinterpretation of your words, and thus incorrect.

the overall reaction to my honest criticism is quite bewildering to me.. bringing all the nasties out en masse but its only because they for some sad reason take it as a personal attack...[ i think ] :blink: maybe just insecure people??

I thinkit is the way you present yourself and formulate. Ever thought about some selfreflection before looking at others?

We all need a stock answer for the inevitable question: Why did you come to Thailand?

For me the one I have been using most lately is: 'came for the women, stayed for the food'.

Some parts of the island are really second to none in terms of quality, price and selection of food.

I do think the island is getting worse overall, however.

There seems to be a horrific violent crime just about every week now and the way the landscape is being raped is scandalous. I still love this place, though. never a dull moment

I'm gonna open a T shirt shop and sell only one design ' I Love Phuket' will be a millionaire this time next year:D

:coffee1: I like the words, but how about adding some graphics as well? ..ya know, summat like a beach scene showing a herd of old codgers with their heads firmly buried in the sand...that sort of thing...

I thinkit is the way you present yourself and formulate. Ever thought about some selfreflection before looking at others?

maybe mate..thanks for the advice. do you think being up front and honest and secure is a problem?

and i can do it without hiding my ID in cyberspace...thatts gotta be a plus..i have nothing to hide.. and honesty is a real good policy of mine ... sorry if it confuses people who maybe can not handle this concept

PS if thats your photo, dont you think your a bit young to give a 50 y.o some advice?:D joking mate ..joking ..

maybe mate..thanks for the advice. do you think being up front and honest and secure is a problem?

and i can do it without hiding my ID in cyberspace...thatts gotta be a plus..i have nothing to hide.. and honesty is a real good policy of mine ... sorry if it confuses people who maybe can not handle this concept

PS if thats your photo, dont you think your a bit young to give a 50 y.o some advice?:D joking mate ..joking ..

From experience: honesty/directness is not always appreciated, and easily confused with rudeness.

Sometimes the message comes across much better with a bit of polish.

From experience: honesty/directness is not always appreciated, and easily confused with rudeness.

Sometimes the message comes across much better with a bit of polish.

i agree mate but iam what i am ..i guess 'a diamond in the rough'has been used to describe me.

also up to this experience [my first] on a forum..you do find that the written word often doesnt express the same as verbal.

one thing i might add is that any 'perceived' rudeness is only in direct reply to others words to me, because some of the members definately have a knack of inciting other members to loose their cool a little and deliberately.IMO apart from getting a little anxious in regards to only a couple of members who find the need to twist my words out of context and post some inane comments in regard to that...i really see no degree of rudeness at all

another thing i may add mate is that in all my life i have never been 'verballed'' by anyone in a face to face situation, or called anything at all but very polite....direct and forthwith ..yes and if my passion and honesty causes problems to people who prefer to hide in cyberspace...that is their problem..i will not bend over for these types of people...

if as you say better with a bit of polish is needed...i will politely tell you where to get off mate..i have no need after 50 years on planet earth to present a false front to applease a few members on a forum..

with respect..

another thing i may add mate is that in all my life i have never been 'verballed'' by anyone in a face to face situation, or called anything at all but very polite....

Agree with some of the things you say. Not a face to face situation, but some of your posts including your last are rude and not polite at all.

Sometimes you just need to be the better man and not respond in kind to attacks and just let it go. You appear to have a "tough guy' persona in that you invite people to meet you in person and then see how they respond. There's plenty of keyboard tough guys, but you don't have to go down that path unless it suits you. Let it go!

ausinpatong, may i suggest you move out of patong?

living in patong is like moving to dubai and renting a trailer with a bunch of trailertrash friends.. or living in newyork then moving to newjersey

sure you can mate..but do i say that i live in patong??:D

yes, in your member name

Edited by grumpyoldman

Sometimes you just need to be the better man and not respond in kind to attacks and just let it go. You appear to have a "tough guy' persona in that you invite people to meet you in person and then see how they respond. There's plenty of keyboard tough guys, but you don't have to go down that path unless it suits you. Let it go!

thanks mate...you are correct its just that this is the first time in my life that i have had to cop shit from anonomous people ...

man to man is honestly the only way i have ever conversed with people before....this is a real wake up call to me

as you say 'keyboard tough guys'' they are...nothing more...

i will let it go for sure..

one question though is this; i spent a little time going through certain members past posts looking for answers and got this result;

initially i thought that because of my openess[which some people see as vulnerability] i was being targeted for giving my reasons on the downside of phuket

but onlooking i see a trend for the very same few shitstirrers to attack and belittle anyone at all who dares post something that they all don't agree with

this is an easily seen observation...its there in black and white.

seems that when they can not debate an issue they then do the above...strange behaviour.. they basically shitstir enough[within the boundaries of moderation] they know how far to go without being busted...meanwhile poor old newbie reponds in kind and then ends up being banished....some sort of selection process obviously because there appear to be a large number of newbies that dont make it into established member status.

i didn't start this thread...i simply agreed with another poster...

i then stated my very valid reasons for my words and you know what ...not one single poster has disagreed that my list of problems is factual .

as i said above..when they can not debate the issue they start shitstirring..look at the result right now.

i see a majority of good posts by members who are not in this obvious clique also have scorn and ridicule thrown at them

i will endevour to only respond to the members who are not in this 'clique'

check out my other posts....less contraversial and no problems...until today when one of the clique started on my population thread i'll ignore him for sure..hes a major player in the 'disruption game...bored as hel_l i figure.

here we go again...reason for edit;

hes shown up on this thread again with another silly comment...ignore,ignore ignore...

thanks mate...you are correct its just that this is the first time in my life that i have had to cop shit from anonomous people ...

man to man is honestly the only way i have ever conversed with people before....this is a real wake up call to me

as you say 'keyboard tough guys'' they are...nothing more...

i will let it go for sure..

one question though is this; i spent a little time going through certain members past posts looking for answers and got this result;

initially i thought that because of my openess[which some people see as vulnerability] i was being targeted for giving my reasons on the downside of phuket

but onlooking i see a trend for the very same few shitstirrers to attack and belittle anyone at all who dares post something that they all don't agree with

this is an easily seen observation...its there in black and white.

seems that when they can not debate an issue they then do the above...strange behaviour.. they basically shitstir enough[within the boundaries of moderation] they know how far to go without being busted...meanwhile poor old newbie reponds in kind and then ends up being banished....some sort of selection process obviously because there appear to be a large number of newbies that dont make it into established member status.

i didn't start this thread...i simply agreed with another poster...

i then stated my very valid reasons for my words and you know what ...not one single poster has disagreed that my list of problems is factual .

as i said above..when they can not debate the issue they start shitstirring..look at the result right now.

i see a majority of good posts by members who are not in this obvious clique also have scorn and ridicule thrown at them

i will endevour to only respond to the members who are not in this 'clique'

check out my other posts....less contraversial and no problems...until today when one of the clique started on my population thread i'll ignore him for sure..hes a major player in the 'disruption game...bored as hel_l i figure.

here we go again...reason for edit;

hes shown up on this thread again with another silly comment...ignore,ignore ignore...

There is a lot of negativity on this forum, although I hadn't seen much recently (maybe my blocking out negativity exercises were working), until now. Just ignore it.

Have a nice day.

There are plenty of problems in Phuket as there are everywhere, Phuket has some of it own unique (kinda) problems but so does everywhere else.

When the bad stuff somewhere gets to levels where you bitch and moan on an internet forum then i think it is time to go. I can ignore nearly all the stuff that people have posted that is bad and therefore my time in Phuket has been great. Granted i was not here 20 years ago but where in the world hasn't changed in the last 20 years.

Move on get over it.

There are plenty of problems in Phuket as there are everywhere, Phuket has some of it own unique (kinda) problems but so does everywhere else.

When the bad stuff somewhere gets to levels where you bitch and moan on an internet forum then i think it is time to go. I can ignore nearly all the stuff that people have posted that is bad and therefore my time in Phuket has been great. Granted i was not here 20 years ago but where in the world hasn't changed in the last 20 years.

Move on get over it.

thanks for the great words of wisdom matey

you obviously haven't read the thread have you ?

posting ones opinions which in this case are 100% factual are far, far removed from biching and moaning

out of curiosity because the OP did ask how long have you lived here?

posting ones opinions which in this case are 100% factual are far, far removed from biching and moaning

No problem, i just hate to see people live somewhere they obvious hate so much and for 20 years.

I never said your facts were not correct, and being facts doesn't perclude them from being bitched and moaned about. Which you are doing....

I have only lived here 2 years.

No problem, i just hate to see people live somewhere they obvious hate so much and for 20 years.

I never said your facts were not correct, and being facts doesn't perclude them from being bitched and moaned about. Which you are doing....

like i said mate...you haven't read the thread

if you had you would see that i said it was near paradise when i came in 91 so i haven't hated for 20 years...also stated the only since sunami has things got really bad especially infrastucture wise and lack of basic amenities which is the basic of my opinion

i also stated that i still like living here and enjoy the good that is on offer here tho after 20 years it is not easy to be stimulated by the natural beauty alone

i figure that if you last here 20 years mate your newbie exitement will also diminish..as will the rose tints

after the sunami it gradually has got worse and worse and does not live up to its ''premier destination'' profile.

why bother replying to a post if the best you can do is go along with all the other haters of honest criticism..and simply post some <deleted> against me

forum is about discussion and i have yet to see anyone discuss the facts or even agree or dis-agree

ie..yes there is a distinct lack of beachside amenities...or maybe no

yes the overdevelopement is out of control..or maybe no

yes it is very hard for people [esp elderly] to walk around ''window shopping' with no shelter from the weather and nowhere to sit and rest....or maybe no

the perpetual rubbish tip from beaches to scenic spots ..or maybe not

there you go mate...like i said not bitching and moaning....pointing out IMO some of the neglected problems that are not going to improve,,but should do if phuket wants to live up to its premier destaination dream

think about it mate and offer your own opinion and/or debate mine...thats the goal here is it not

look back through all the usual crap that gets posted and there are only 2 replies even mentioning these problems

scubba mate said ''why should phuket have better amenities than the rest of thailand?''...as i said ''because it is a supposed premier island...obvious i thought

karen turned a lack of amenities into my calling for more developement...?????

see if you can raise the usefullness of this thread by indulging in some discussion about the problems ....

Edited by ausinpatong

see if you can raise the usefullness of this thread by indulging in some discussion about the problems ....

I'm not clear why the poster should have to indulge you about discussing Phuket's problems.

They are here on the forum ad nauseum (tuk tuks, touts, bad drivers etc, a billion threads).

No, what we are discussing here is people's personal opinion of Phuket because two posters out of about 50+ stated , "most would agree phuket is a shithole" which is complete rubbish.

So back to the topic which is not what are Phuket's problems but how long have you been here and what is your opinion.

if you had you would see that i said it was near paradise when i came in 91 so i haven't hated for 20 years...also stated the only since sunami has things got really bad especially infrastucture wise and lack of basic amenities which is the basic of my opinion

i also stated that i still like living here and enjoy the good that is on offer here tho after 20 years it is not easy to be stimulated by the natural beauty alone

i figure that if you last here 20 years mate your newbie exitement will also diminish..as will the rose tints

after the sunami it gradually has got worse and worse and does not live up to its ''premier destination'' profile.

why bother replying to a post if the best you can do is go along with all the other haters of honest criticism..and simply post some <deleted> against me

forum is about discussion and i have yet to see anyone discuss the facts or even agree or dis-agree

ie..yes there is a distinct lack of beachside amenities...or maybe no

yes the overdevelopement is out of control..or maybe no

yes it is very hard for people [esp elderly] to walk around ''window shopping' with no shelter from the weather and nowhere to sit and rest....or maybe no

the perpetual rubbish tip from beaches to scenic spots ..or maybe not

there you go mate...like i said not bitching and moaning....pointing out IMO some of the neglected problems that are not going to improve,,but should do if phuket wants to live up to its premier destaination dream

think about it mate and offer your own opinion and/or debate mine...thats the goal here is it not

look back through all the usual crap that gets posted and there are only 2 replies even mentioning these problems

scubba mate said ''why should phuket have better amenities than the rest of thailand?''...as i said ''because it is a supposed premier island...obvious i thought

karen turned a lack of amenities into my calling for more developement...?????

I read the thread as best i could... to be honest i skimmed over alot of the shit you and grumpy were at. Its 5 pages of mostly you guys bitching and moaning at each other. I couldn't remember it all. I am happy to correct myself as i do ,now that you remind me. You u did state post tsunami that it became a shithole. That is still a long time to stay in a shithole.

I don't have newbie excitement or rose tinted glasses. Please inform me of where i have said phuket is better than it is. I only have two posts so it shoudn't be too hard to see i haven't. Infact i have said there are many problems. i have agreed that the ones you raise are issues, but i can ignore them as at present they don't effect me.

I am well aware that things change and in 20 years time alot will change for better and for worst but it won't come as a surprise to me like to seems to have for you. If i find myself hating where i live, i will move but the grass is always greener and maybe thats why you are still here.....

IT doesn't live up to its ''premier destination'' profile....... Yeah they should advertise it as a shithole, lets see how that works for them. It is what you make it or until you give up on it. What does it matter to your daily life how Phuket is billed. It does affect me so i ignore it and i seem to be happier than you for it.

Take it as it is.....i beleive that if you solve all these little problems you will create new ones until Phuket is like the costa del sol or any European or America resort area.

i don't know you obviously but you are coming accross as one of those guys who is complaining about everthing, they what the amenties and infrastucture of the West but quietness and the beauty and pace of life of Phuket 20 years ago. I don't think its possible or at least for me it is not as i don't have money to move to where my paradise is. I am just happy at the moment working and living in Phuket.

I"ve been here almost 15 years and i have to agree it is now a shithole. I can't wait to get out.

Someone is holding a gun to your head and making you stay?

You asked "how long have you lived here, and what is your opinion" so i told you. There are many reasons why some of us are stuck in this shithole and can't leave, i'm not about to go into my reasons though on this forum.

You asked "how long have you lived here, and what is your opinion" so i told you. There are many reasons why some of us are stuck in this shithole and can't leave, i'm not about to go into my reasons though on this forum.

wow, guess you got lucky "the shithole" you are stuck in is not Baghdad, Kandahar, most of Bangladesh or Soweto, huh?

To recollect a phrase, I think most would agree, those are bigger shitholes.

I guess any place you are stuck and cant leave can be seen as a sh-tholeB)