Beef Steak For Cooking At Home

Guderian

I'm cooking at home quite a lot nowadays, and although I'm not much of a steak-eater my friend likes a beef steak when she visits. So I bought some meat from Friendship and it was edible but a bit tough. She likes it cooked well-done, so that doesn't help. This was the second most expensive cut of beef at Friendship, about 270 Baht/kilo, maybe I will try what looks more like a fillet steak next time at around 350/Baht/kilo (they call it tenderloin)? As mentioned, I don't really know much about steak as I hardly ever eat it myself, so can anyone recommend a place selling good quality beef that you can take home and cook yourself? I noticed that some restaurants in town serve Australian or Argentinian steaks, but can you buy those meats uncooked anywhere?

Thanks for any info and experiences.

frozen ausie steaks in the freezer at friendship, i buy all beef from carefore , get some good rump steaks but dont over cook or it goes like rubber chose between cfb (chepest) and ku more expensive but normally a better cut?????

Another vote for MAKRO! I buy their beef brisket for low & slow cooking and their beef tenderloin for marinating and grilling. Both are quite good and much cheaper than all of the other Pattaya food outlets (as far as I know...). Good luck!

B)

Another vote for MAKRO! I buy their beef brisket for low & slow cooking and their beef tenderloin for marinating and grilling. Both are quite good and much cheaper than all of the other Pattaya food outlets (as far as I know...). Good luck!

B)

The beef in Thailand is worse than terrible, especially Thai beef (sometimes sold as imported beef).

If you can find a decent sirloin that is not Thai beef:

1) cut it it in one inch cubes

2) marinate it overnight in red wine and garlic

3) skewer it and cook it on the grill

It should be tender.

Other cuts might demand that you pound them with a meat hammer or whatever it is called--metal with protruding ridges.........meat tenderizer device......but don't get it too thin.

Then marinate it overnight in red wine and garlic...........etc.

I heard that some French-Thai beef company in Thailand is selling decent beef (no idea where).

Come to Texas and you have no problem...............too bad, Texas is so far from Thailand.sad.gif

best value beef i've ever had here is phon yang kahm from sakorn nakhon. there are a chain of dozen or so places selling this beef in & around bangkok. most of these will have a take-out shop where you can get beef to grill at home. sirloin tip from 300+ baht/kg up to rib-eye 1,000 baht/kg. it's all good. ko-khun website (thai)

Edited by coldfusionPaul

Thanks for the replies. They've given me some "food for thought". (Ouch, sorry :rolleyes: )

I worked in Aberdeen for 8 years and my favourite restaurant up there was the Lairhillock out on the moors, serving Aberdeen Angus steaks. They were good. I lived in The Hague for years too, and the "Los Gauchos" chain of Argentinian restaurants in the Netherlands served excellent Argentinian steaks. I'll look for the Australian meat as that sounds highly recommended.

With steak if you want it well done it's almost impossible to have it taste like anything apart from rubber!

It's a bit like having expensive scotch and adding coca cola. I think you need to gradually reduce the cooking time and you'll enjoy the taste a lot more.

As for best cut, it really is subjective IMHO

Edited by Seizetheday

Thanks for the replies. They've given me some "food for thought". (Ouch, sorry :rolleyes: )

I worked in Aberdeen for 8 years and my favourite restaurant up there was the Lairhillock out on the moors, serving Aberdeen Angus steaks. They were good. I lived in The Hague for years too, and the "Los Gauchos" chain of Argentinian restaurants in the Netherlands served excellent Argentinian steaks. I'll look for the Australian meat as that sounds highly recommended.

If its Kangaroo steaks ---- avoid them...unless you are keen on Liver...thats what it looks and tastes like.........You cannae beat a good Aberdeen Angus steak, ken fit I mean loon.....?

There's Prime Beef a few meters west of Foodland on Central Road. Thai beef raised specially. You can even track which farm your steak came from on the net.

I've only gotten roasts there, but it was very nice. Hm, may buy some to roast tonight.

Anyhow there are a few things to know about the various cuts of beef, where they are from and how to get good results.

Tenderloin/filet - This is an 'internal' muscle and does little work so is very tender. However it doesn't have a strong flavor. Even if you buy local beef it is still reasonable tender. If you buy imported it will cut like butter.

Rump/Top sirloin - Rich 'beefy' flavour, with a grainier texture than tenderloin. It isn't as tender and cheap rump steak can be hard if not marinaded and cooked carefully. If however it is prime beef, marbled and well hung it can be wonderful.

Sirloin/striploin/NYstrip - Comptable to rump but not as full in flavour. Tends to be dry if not well marbled with fat. Needs to be cooked medium to rare for best results.

Ribeye - This steak comes from the forequarter (the front end of the animal as opposed to the rear like the above) and as such it has great flavor. It also tends to have a little more fat and has a fat 'kernal' in the middle which some people find off-putting. However if it has been hung and comes from a quality animal it is fantastic eating..

If you are cooking for your friend and she likes her steak well done. I'd suggest fillet steak as it will still be tender and it doesn't have too strong a flavour which some Thais dislike.

You have a choice of bsic local beef, local hybrid beef or imported beef from Australia, USA, Argentina and NZ.

I generally look at the beef on display as I decide what to buy from experience rather than just buying the most expensive.. Often a 'cheap' piece of steak that has a good grain of fat and a good colour will eat better than an overy lean overly 'fresh' bright red piece of import steak.

I'd just advise you to pick fillet that has a pale muted colour with visable fat .. Don't pick a piece that is super lean as it will be dry. And don't be attracted to something that is a bright red colour.

The main problem is most of the beef was vac packed when it was freshly boned. The beef wasn't hung long enough on the bone to develope flavour and tenderness

I'd try some of the cheaper import beef like the NZ or Argie. Both are reasonably priced in Foodland and Makro.. Filet is more expensive than rib eye, rump etc but there is no 'rind' or waste so you don't need as large a portion.

For preperation I'd advise you to take the meat out of the refridgerator well before cooking to let the meat warm to room temp. You can then season it with salt,pepper and garlic if you like. Then cook in your preferred method.. The most important thing to get a tender steak is to let it 'rest' before serving. So as your friend likes her meat well doen I'd suggest you remove it from the pan as it reaches the medium stage then let it rest for 2-3 minutes on a plate or cutting boad, You can cover it loosly with tin/alum foil. This will give the meat time to relax and continue the cooking process. Once served it should then be very tender.

Myself I have a preferance for ribeye or rump.. The same factors apply. Choose meat that has a good covering of fat and a good marbling of fat of posible. once cooked let it reat before serving.

You can marinade the meat in a variety of things.. wine, oil, teriyaki sauce etc ... some enhance the flavor some overpower it.. all down to personal taste..

Thanks for the interesting reply. I'd heard about removing the steak before it is fully cooked and letting it stand and continue to cook itself to finish the process and allow its tenderness to develop. I'll have to try that. My friend didn't mind that the steak was a bit tough, she ate every last bit of it in fact, so it can't have been too bad. I'm really the fussy one who doesn't like chewy meat. These were steaks from the fresh meat counter at Friendship, which I assume from the low price to be Thai beef? They were very lean (as is most of the meat there) which together with my probably over-zealous cooking might have made for a tougher steak than I would really have liked. Hopefully with some experience I will improve.

Anyhow there are a few things to know about the various cuts of beef, where they are from and how to get good results.

Tenderloin/filet - This is an 'internal' muscle and does little work so is very tender. However it doesn't have a strong flavor. Even if you buy local beef it is still reasonable tender. If you buy imported it will cut like butter.

Rump/Top sirloin - Rich 'beefy' flavour, with a grainier texture than tenderloin. It isn't as tender and cheap rump steak can be hard if not marinaded and cooked carefully. If however it is prime beef, marbled and well hung it can be wonderful.

Sirloin/striploin/NYstrip - Comptable to rump but not as full in flavour. Tends to be dry if not well marbled with fat. Needs to be cooked medium to rare for best results.

Ribeye - This steak comes from the forequarter (the front end of the animal as opposed to the rear like the above) and as such it has great flavor. It also tends to have a little more fat and has a fat 'kernal' in the middle which some people find off-putting. However if it has been hung and comes from a quality animal it is fantastic eating..

If you are cooking for your friend and she likes her steak well done. I'd suggest fillet steak as it will still be tender and it doesn't have too strong a flavour which some Thais dislike.

You have a choice of bsic local beef, local hybrid beef or imported beef from Australia, USA, Argentina and NZ.

I generally look at the beef on display as I decide what to buy from experience rather than just buying the most expensive.. Often a 'cheap' piece of steak that has a good grain of fat and a good colour will eat better than an overy lean overly 'fresh' bright red piece of import steak.

I'd just advise you to pick fillet that has a pale muted colour with visable fat .. Don't pick a piece that is super lean as it will be dry. And don't be attracted to something that is a bright red colour.

The main problem is most of the beef was vac packed when it was freshly boned. The beef wasn't hung long enough on the bone to develope flavour and tenderness

I'd try some of the cheaper import beef like the NZ or Argie. Both are reasonably priced in Foodland and Makro.. Filet is more expensive than rib eye, rump etc but there is no 'rind' or waste so you don't need as large a portion.

For preperation I'd advise you to take the meat out of the refridgerator well before cooking to let the meat warm to room temp. You can then season it with salt,pepper and garlic if you like. Then cook in your preferred method.. The most important thing to get a tender steak is to let it 'rest' before serving. So as your friend likes her meat well doen I'd suggest you remove it from the pan as it reaches the medium stage then let it rest for 2-3 minutes on a plate or cutting boad, You can cover it loosly with tin/alum foil. This will give the meat time to relax and continue the cooking process. Once served it should then be very tender.

Myself I have a preferance for ribeye or rump.. The same factors apply. Choose meat that has a good covering of fat and a good marbling of fat of posible. once cooked let it reat before serving.

You can marinade the meat in a variety of things.. wine, oil, teriyaki sauce etc ... some enhance the flavor some overpower it.. all down to personal taste..

Very interesting information, krap. Thanks a lot!

post-72929-017863700 1277787632_thumb.jp

Cant believe that Western Wholesale Meat haven't been mentioned yet. It is Thai beef but it is all hung properly and their rib-eye far exceeds any Aussie imported I have had. Do a search this topic was done to death about 18 months ago.

My link

OK beginning of the year then not 18 months

Edited by RabC

The beef in Thailand is worse than terrible, especially Thai beef (sometimes sold as imported beef).

If you want to sample a good beef fillet go to Le Bordeaux on soi Day and Night.

Excellent fare and I am assured that the beef was Thai, purchased from Bangkok. Regrettably, the owner would not divulge the name of his supplier.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame taken out

+1 for Western Wholesale, very good!

Do you know what days and times they are open?

So far everytime I have been (evenings and weekends, when Im free) I have found it closed, so yet to experience it for myself.

Supposed to open at 8 am daily, but i know from passing there 3 or 4 times a day that his opening times are rather hit or miss, his contact numbers are on their website, best call to make sure he is open when you are planning to go there.

http://www.wwmco.asia/homepage.html

Cant believe that Western Wholesale Meat haven't been mentioned yet. It is Thai beef but it is all hung properly and their rib-eye far exceeds any Aussie imported I have had. Do a search this topic was done to death about 18 months ago.

My link

OK beginning of the year then not 18 months

I never looked at that thread when it started as it was about barbecues according to the title, and I live high up in a condo. But yes, there's lots of useful information there, too. Thanks to all on this thread and that one for their input. :)

• 2 months later...

mackro has some good steak -----------prices for weight clearly marked and you tell them how much to cut off a big bit which they will so if more than you want they will cut a bit off or add to it as you want i spent 160 baht and had a very good quality decent chunk there a week ago. open 6am to 11pm