I Will Marry Thai Woman And Move To Thailand

I am a guy living in USA and my Thai girl friend has visited me here and we will get married in the future. I have not been to Thailand yet, but I am going to go there. I understand I can stay 30 days on my passport. However, if I marry he while I am there on my initial 30 days, will it make it easier to stay there longer? I am not sure how the process works. I am currently not working and therefore, I don't have any income to show. However, she is self-employed and she has income to show. I am in my late thirties. I want to move to Thailand and get married to her and just stay there. If you read this and you have some advice for me, I would appreciate any advice you give. Thank you.

With a Thai Wife you can apply for 12 month extensions of stay if you qualify financially.

It has to be your income/savings, not your Wife's.

At the moment you can get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa from Malaysia if you have at least 100,000 Baht in your bank. This would give up to 15 months stay but would need you to leave the country every 90 days.

Requirements for a 12 month extension.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Dear Yellowman

After reading your letter my initial reaction is that it is some form of wind up or joke.You haven't mentioned what career or what type of job you are going to try to do when you are here. If you believe you will be able to come here and just live off your girlfriend then you are in for a shock as it will not last long. If your way of planning a life in Thailand is to write to a forum that is found on a Thai visa website and still do not know the visa requirements etc then suggest you stay in the USA. But as I said I think your letter is a wind up.

"if I marry he while I am there on my initial 30 days" are you sure it's a girl you have found?

Edited by VictorMeldrewBKK

"If your way of planning a life in Thailand is to write to a forum that is found on a Thai visa website and still do not know the visa requirements etc"

Advice from one newbie to another...

N2, if everyone already knew the regs, there wouldn't be a need for this forum.

Just because you know everything, after a few months, doesn't mean everybody does.

Post number 2 gave some good advice. There is also the tourist visa route which would give the OP time to get settled in and decide on a plan.

"If your way of planning a life in Thailand is to write to a forum that is found on a Thai visa website and still do not know the visa requirements etc"

Advice from one newbie to another...

N2, if everyone already knew the regs, there wouldn't be a need for this forum.

Just because you know everything, after a few months, doesn't mean everybody does.

Post number 2 gave some good advice. There is also the tourist visa route which would give the OP time to get settled in and decide on a plan.

As I suspected, it was a wind up, no follow up.

A marriage can become a very expensive expirience!

A lot of times the thai women expects not the same as the alien.

Forget for the moment to get married and come here (without the papers you need to get married) for a few month first. May tourist visa.

Then go home and make your decision there.

Well here is my plan to marry my Thai Fiance who i proposed to in Rome 2 months ago. She will be graduating college in 2 weeks and fly to Thailand this July. She will begin looking for work for us and a place to live. We get married in Thailand on September 25 and have our honeymoon in Hong Kong China for 4 days. I will fly to Thailand on September 8 and use my passport. Once we are married I will apply for the 15 month multiple entry Non O visa, then I must exit the country every 90 days. I will be given another 90 days permission to stay when I re-enter the country. but I will have only 12 months to make 400,000 baht and get an income of 40,000 baht a month then I can apply for the 1 year visa and stay for one year and not have to leave the country. You must show the embassy that you have made 40,000 baht a month near the end of the visa. Then I will have to apply for the 1 year visa every year and show my income and my savings in bank. You and your Thai wife can save 400,000 baht together but YOU have to make 40,000+ baht a month on your own.

Once me and my wife are married and done with honeymoon we will only have 200,000 baht left. We will be poor starting out but we will find a way for me to stay in Thailand. At least I will be able to stay for 1 year and try to save 400,000 baht. If I can't then my other option would be getting an education visa and stay for another year. My goal is to live in Thailand for 2 years but I want to live there for the rest of my life. Even if I have to work at 2 jobs in Thailand and do freelance work. I will do whatever it takes to stay with her. If I can't then we will live together in America until we can move back to Thailand.

Well here is my plan to marry my Thai Fiance who i proposed to in Rome 2 months ago. She will be graduating college in 2 weeks and fly to Thailand this July. She will begin looking for work for us and a place to live. We get married in Thailand on September 25 and have our honeymoon in Hong Kong China for 4 days. I will fly to Thailand on September 8 and use my passport. Once we are married I will apply for the 15 month multiple entry Non O visa, then I must exit the country every 90 days. I will be given another 90 days permission to stay when I re-enter the country. but I will have only 12 months to make 400,000 baht and get an income of 40,000 baht a month then I can apply for the 1 year visa and stay for one year and not have to leave the country. You must show the embassy that you have made 40,000 baht a month near the end of the visa. Then I will have to apply for the 1 year visa every year and show my income and my savings in bank. You and your Thai wife can save 400,000 baht together but YOU have to make 40,000+ baht a month on your own.

Once me and my wife are married and done with honeymoon we will only have 200,000 baht left. We will be poor starting out but we will find a way for me to stay in Thailand. At least I will be able to stay for 1 year and try to save 400,000 baht. If I can't then my other option would be getting an education visa and stay for another year. My goal is to live in Thailand for 2 years but I want to live there for the rest of my life. Even if I have to work at 2 jobs in Thailand and do freelance work. I will do whatever it takes to stay with her. If I can't then we will live together in America until we can move back to Thailand.

It must be nice to live in a dream. When will you wake up to reality? You've never been to Thailand. You plan on entering Thailand on a 30 day permit to stay? Why not at least get a tourist visa as they are free and that would give you 60 days and you can extend for another 30 days for 1,900 Baht. You most likely would not qualify for a marriage visa to the USA, as you don't have a job or home there, just in case your dream about making money in Thailand doesn't work. How will you get a work permit in Thailand? I hope you can pay sinsot. Do you know what that is? There are threads here you can look up about it. Even if you marry here, you must show 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account to qualify for a marriage non-immigrant visa or a combination of income and savings equal to 400,000 Baht. What Embassy are you talking about that you must show income to? The US Embassy doesn't make you show any proof, you must swear your statement is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. As I have said before I wish you the best of luck! But you should read more about the requirements and think through the logic of what you are doing. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to make you think about what you are doing and not make a mess of your life together. Best wishes!

For a 12 month extension of stay based on having a Thai Wife you need 40,000 Baht monthly income OR 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

It cannot be a combination of the 2.

It must be the Husbands income. The bank account must be the Husbands and not a joint account.

It must be nice to live in a dream. When will you wake up to reality? You've never been to Thailand. You plan on entering Thailand on a 30 day permit to stay? Why not at least get a tourist visa as they are free and that would give you 60 days and you can extend for another 30 days for 1,900 Baht. You most likely would not qualify for a marriage visa to the USA, as you don't have a job or home there, just in case your dream about making money in Thailand doesn't work. How will you get a work permit in Thailand? I hope you can pay sinsot. Do you know what that is? There are threads here you can look up about it. Even if you marry here, you must show 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account to qualify for a marriage non-immigrant visa or a combination of income and savings equal to 400,000 Baht. What Embassy are you talking about that you must show income to? The US Embassy doesn't make you show any proof, you must swear your statement is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. As I have said before I wish you the best of luck! But you should read more about the requirements and think through the logic of what you are doing. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to make you think about what you are doing and not make a mess of your life together. Best wishes!

Well I shall answer your questions.

When will you wake up to reality? I have woken up to reality and I'm loving it. I'm not going to let anyone stop me from living that reality.

Tourist Visa: (didn't know it was free thanks) we will get multiple visa 1 week after marriage and I fly in and out of the country every 3 months.

Don't have a job: Who told you I don't have a job? I am currently freelancing graphic/web designer and I work full time at Wal-Mart. I make 25% above poverty.

Job in Thailand: My college is currently looking for work for me in Thailand. I have a job offer there already working at a restaurant. I interview when I get there.

Sinsot: Sorry friend but we will not have a Thai tradition wedding but a Christian wedding. The family does not want any money and are excited for our wedding.

My question is wouldn't I have plenty of time to save 400,000 bht in 12 months or make 40,000 bht a month with multiple entry visa before I need the requirements for the 1 year visa?

Also my mothers work and my uncles business have jobs for me to do when I live in Thailand.

--- you swear under oath that you are making that much baht at work and bank? So people can lie and get the visa??? :( I don't like that.

oh I forgot to mention that I am 26 years old and I will have no bills when I live in Thailand. I am debt free and I have a great credit score in America. I can easily pull out large loans and a business loan which I plan to start in Thailand in 2 years.

Edited by kamakashi

For some reason you have decided to post in another members thread instead of using your own so you should expect to receive some responses that may be directed to the previous information posted here. Below is keyed to your last post and is only pointing out that the shade of your glasses may effect your view a bit (not that it is necessarily bad):

Your credit in the US will be history once you move and huge sums a thing of the past. You will not even qualify for a basic credit card in Thailand. You will also not obtain a visa here. That can only be obtained from outside of Thailand and in this area only KL is a reliable source (if you can show 100k in bank account). So until you can extend your stay (which is as stated by Lite Beer) you will be spending money for travel every 3 months. If you work without a work permit you could end up in jail and deported. Your money will be made in Thailand so Embassy has nothing to do with extension of stay paperwork. Immigration will require solid proof of income or savings (no combination). Marriage in Thailand is registration at a District Office. When you move to Thailand you will not have a Wal-Mart option.

The Original Poster has not returned to post furter on his/her original posting. Guess he/she is just sitting back and enjoying the ride....which was probably the intention in the first place.

Edited by Artamus

Don't have a job: Who told you I don't have a job? I am currently freelancing graphic/web designer and I work full time at Wal-Mart. I make 25% above poverty.

Job in Thailand: My college is currently looking for work for me in Thailand. I have a job offer there already working at a restaurant. I interview when I get there.

Sinsot: Sorry friend but we will not have a Thai tradition wedding but a Christian wedding. The family does not want any money and are excited for our wedding.

My question is wouldn't I have plenty of time to save 400,000 bht in 12 months or make 40,000 bht a month with multiple entry visa before I need the requirements for the 1 year visa?

Also my mothers work and my uncles business have jobs for me to do when I live in Thailand.

--- you swear under oath that you are making that much baht at work and bank? So people can lie and get the visa??? :( I don't like that.

oh I forgot to mention that I am 26 years old and I will have no bills when I live in Thailand. I am debt free and I have a great credit score in America. I can easily pull out large loans and a business loan which I plan to start in Thailand in 2 years.

Dont have a job.....Will need a WP what ever you do, if you do find a job

Job in Thailand......Strange comment...as if you are referring to working in restaurant....unless you are chef/manager in a large hotel.....most jobs, such as waiting staff are restricted occupations in Thailand..ie a Farang cant do them.

Working in mummys/uncles business...illegal unless WP provided

Credit score in USA....completely irrelevant in Thailand, business loans hard to come by/ virtually impossible in Thailand...certainly for a Farang start up company

Based on your comments above about 25% above breadline at Walmart. you are currently making..think you will be hard pressed to make the required THB 40,000/month to qualify for extension of stay.....

Oh well looks like another "English" teacher on their way to Thailand......LOL

I will also have 200,000 baht left over after the wedding and honeymoon. Here family also said they can help us get another 200,000 baht and we apply for 1 year extension. Does this mean I can get the 1 year extension to stay and find a job that will get me a work permit to work for them? Can I really use my walmart income? Oh and by the way in febuary I will be getting 200,000+ baht from taxes so I will have 400,000 baht in febuary-march. My wife will have money saved up as well.

it is either income or money in the bank, if you still work for wallmart you can use that income. If you don't have a job making at least 40,000 a month you can use the money in the bank option. The money has to be in a bank account in Thailand in your name only and must be there at least 2 months before applying for an extension of stay.. The wife's income or money in the bank doesn't count.

kamakashi: We are the same age, and my advice to you is... Don't come to Thailand without plenty of extra money, because you can never really be sure if you will find a job or not. If your Thai family is willing to take care of you when times are rough then that is good, but you will need a decent way to stay here in Thailand.

Since the laws change frequently, you should try to put away some money for tuition just incase you end up not being able to find a job, you may have to enroll in school for the education extension.

You never know, the laws could change at any moment w/o much notice. It's better to be safe than sorry.

& the amount you are currently making@ Walmart wouldn't be relevant because you won't be working there anymore after you arrive in Thailand.

I will be working at walmart and then fly to thailand september 7th I will not quit walmart and it will show that I'm currently employed. Won't they accept it then since I still work for walmart? I can quit the job once I get me 1 year extension. The other option is borrowing money from my family and hers and reach 400,000 baht. Yes I will transfer money into thai accound if I can use my walmart income as proof.

The other option is borrowing money from my family and hers and reach 400,000 baht. Yes I will transfer money into thai accound if I can use my walmart income as proof.

:cheesy: ......this is a new one...a Thai family supporting a Farang son in law.........lets suppose you actually manage to pull this off for this year....What you going to do next year, if you are unemployed....borrow another 400k

Seriously...I think you have a lot to learn

All this talk about working at Walmart earning an eyeopening 125% above poverty level. The equivalent Thai job is working at Tesco Lotus for 8,000 to 12,000 baht per month. Your future Thai in-laws will be just thrilled at the prospect of having to support you and their college educated daughter.

well we are poor college students that are graduating soon. Why the heck should we wait 4-5 years to get married??? You all will see that it is possible to live in Thailand. It will become a reality. Also I just need to be in Thailand for at least 2-3 years... hopefully forever. Then we will decide where to live after that.

Wait a second!!! I am averaging 42,000+ baht a month working here at walmart. Can that show proof of an income and I can get my 1 year extension to stay in thailand with my soon to be wife???

Got to be a wind-up.

No-one is that stupid...or are they? :o

RAZZ