Is There A Market For A Condoms Only Store In Pattaya?

Jingthing

Yes, I know condoms are sold everywhere here, Boots, Tesco, 7-11, Family Mart (snicker), etc. However I miss the western concept of a sex shop or specialty condom shop, a la Condomania, Good Vibrations, or gay specialty emporiums, etc.

This occurred to me while I was browsing the condom section at Boots and one of their friendly ladies was following me around. It was not comfortable to take my time there with her staring at me, sorry.

Now in Thailand, of course, sex toys can't be openly legally sold and condom stores in the west usually carry those. However, a condom store here could really specialize, have every possible type of condom available, every possible lubricant available, have English speaking knowledge staff to make suggestions, have printed info in multiple languages about condom sizing options, have actual opened samples of the condoms, have trial sampler packs made up to see so people can go home and test to find the perfect condoms for their needs, etc. etc.

If the prices were similar to everywhere else, I know I would shop at such a place. Maybe I am crazy and there is no market for it. What do you think?

I see no reason why such a store couldn't match the prices of 7-11 for locally made condoms. I agree selling imports would make them expensive, so not sure about that. Good point that Thais wouldn't warm up to the concept, but on the other hand there is a huge pool of non-Thais living and visiting here (and in need of condoms). The root of the concept is to create a comfort zone to really spend all the time you need comparing the products, learning about the products, in a sex positive environment. It's mostly about creating a pleasant comfort zone where everyone is there for the same purpose. I still don't see why this would be illegal. If Boots and 7-11 can sell condoms, what would be the problem with a specialty shop?

Also, Condoms and Cabbages restaurants don't seem to have a problem, so even though they sell food, there is a precedent for a condom themed business here.

As far as profits, not sure about the margins on condoms, but when 25 ounces of the excellent lubricant Astroglide goes for 300 baht, there is surely a good profit potential with such a shop.

BTW, if such a store basically selling disease prevention products actually is illegal, what an incredible irony in a city sporting thousands of businesses promoting casual sex.

Edited by Jingthing

There is such a shop (or used to be ) on Orchard Road in Singapore....it was a tiny place on the same side as the infamous Towers I think under Lucky Plaza ?? Memory is the 2nd thing you lose as you get old - I cannot remember what the first thing is...the shop sold all manner of condoms lumpy bumpy ribbed coloured flavours etc...they had ones with a tiny vibrating ring.....they were fairly expensive if I recall....

I do find it strange that in a land that seems to tolerate just about every kind of perversion behind closed doors....you cannot have sex toys ?

But ..maybe if you paid anough "Tea" money to the BIB's they would turn a blind eye to it....

They do allow a Fetish clothing shop on 3rd road ??? Never been in side myself just seen it passing on my scooter - they sell lingerie with fluffy stuff on it and handcuffs I think ?

If you add all kinds of funny stuff, probably it will attract also the Thai ladies, they are curious about many things.

I say a shop which had a lot of funny "sex' souvenirs in the form of candies, cartoons, etc.

Of course you have to find out what is legal or not.

see (www.condomerie.com)

One post deleted, Name calling is flaming and as such is not tolerated please read the rules

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

I think the concept is weired in Euro countries and I think it would not work here. Import duties and taxes would turn the thing too expensive. Many tourists take them here and not buy here.

I think it would not work.

Well, nobody has tried it, but I have to disagree that the concept is weird. Such places (often combined with sex toy shops) are very common in the west. Rest assured, if somebody tried it and it hit, there would soon be 100 of them, much like fish massage! To truly test the concept here, you would have to do it right, with all the bells and whistles, not a half arsed attempt. Also, I don't see the import duties as a big problem at all. These products are already widely sold in town anyway, the concept is a different environment for selling them.

Edited by Jingthing

There was a shop like that on the corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya Tai, maybe around 10-12 years ago or so. It didn't last very long.

Phil, there was a shop like that on Pattayaland 2, right hand side as you entered the soi from 2nd rd, the shop was there about 16 years ago.

Think what killed the place was rent, the premises are now just another bar.

There was a shop like that on the corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya Tai, maybe around 10-12 years ago or so. It didn't last very long.

I didn't notice it (starting coming here in 1998). I would have had to see it to know if it actually follows the concept I have in mind, or not.

This is not a new idea. There is a reason why you don't see these kinds of places already. ;)

I am not convinced. There are tons of potential businesses that have not been realized in Thailand. For example, a Peruvian restaurant. Not one in the Kingdom. We all know the penchant by Thais to simply do the same old thing. I see some of that same timidness from foreign entrepreneurs.

Edited by Jingthing

I didn't notice it (starting coming here in 1998). I would have had to see it to know if it actually follows the concept I have in mind, or not.

I went there one or twice and it was much like your idea with all kinds of strange, funny and erotic condoms and such in a pleasant environment. As someone else said, it did not last very long.

OK, if you say so. But for all we know they weren't adequately capitalized to grow the business. That's the most common reason for failure. People expect a profit in the first few months, when if they had enough money to grow it, it may be profitable after two years, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

That place is off the beaten track. I already mentioned Cabbages and Condoms (which is still mostly about their restaurants and the owner's social activism). They are world famous. However, I don't think you can really compare them to places like Condomania or Good Vibrations or that Amsterdam place mentioned. The fact of C & C suggests there is an open mind for condom oriented businesses, but the concept I was suggesting is not the same at all as C & C.

Edited by Jingthing

<P>Perhaps it would be more allowed or acceptable if it was paired with a dose clinic!<BR>The idea is a great one, I would certainly be interested in looking at it, however like other members have already mentioned it may not be allowed but if it was in a clinic facility it'd be looked upon as more of a "medical" affair, I can't see anyone against the concept of promoting safe sex. <BR><BR>Just a small point but websites like ebay dont allow the sales of sex toys but traders can get round it by advertising them as massagers and other "medical" supplies. Thailand won't allow the sale of a 12inch Rampant rabbit or an arse buster prostate rupture tool, but if an item was sold as an educational tool or a massarger you'd be less likely to be "taxed" or "fined" especially if it's on the premises of a clinic.<BR><BR></P>