Is There A Market For A Condoms Only Store In Pattaya?

Jingthing

Now here is really a crazy idea. Cabbages and Condoms, a restaurant mostly, with condoms.

How about Burritos and Condoms? Pattaya still lacks a decent California style burrito shop. Mix burritos with a condom shop. Burritos are phallic (and spicy). Two birds (noks) with one stone. Get it?

Edited by Jingthing

One condom store in Pattaya? That means everyone who wants a Johnny has to go and walk past all the boots and 7-Elevens just to buy a pack!

No way would it work. People arr to lazy to walk far or don't need to because boots or 7-Eleven covers there needs.

There is a shop on the second or third floor in Seacom Square (Bang Na ) that sells condoms and "novelty" sex aids like edible panties and those silly little wind-up cocks who waddle around on two feet. You know the type of stuff. But they do have some stuff that goes a little further too. It has been there for at least a year now.

Edited by xen

One condom store in Pattaya? That means everyone who wants a Johnny has to go and walk past all the boots and 7-Elevens just to buy a pack!

No way would it work. People arr to lazy to walk far or don't need to because boots or 7-Eleven covers there needs.

Its a niche market. All you would need is certain percentage of the huge market share for local condoms and lubricants to make it work. At 7-11, how many people know exactly what they are buying (especially size-wise)? Even within Thai condoms, there are different size options. I don't think people feel comfortable browsing at the 7-11 counter inspecting the products. Also, my strong feeling is that when people DO visit specialize condom shops, they tend to buy a lot more condoms at one time than at a 7-11 type venue.

There is another interesting aspect of this market in Thailand compared to the west. Online condom and lubricant is a huge business there. Not so in Thailand due to the issues with mail delivery/theft. In effect, a website selling condoms and lubricant is a specialized shop, but online. That might point to an even bigger potential for retail locations in Thailand due to the limitations of Thai online sales.

Edited by Jingthing

You could only sell 'straight-forward' condoms in various sizes.

Every difference in smell, taste, color or shape would be a sex-toy and those are't allowed in Thailand.

Don't mirror your concept to C&C: The owner is a very well-known member of the Thai society and a fighter against STD's and promoter of condoms.

If he is allowed to sell condoms/sex-toys in his restaurants/venues, than you should try to cooperate with C&C and set up a franchise under the C&C brand.

Every difference in smell, taste, color or shape would be a sex-toy and those are't allowed in Thailand.

Don't mirror your concept to C&C: The owner is a very well-known member of the Thai society and a fighter against STD's and promoter of condoms.

If he is allowed to sell condoms/sex-toys in his restaurants/venues, than you should try to cooperate with C&C and set up a franchise under the C&C brand.

I know that is wrong! Flavored, colored condoms are always on sale at Boots. Let's not get carried away in exaggerating the strange sexual restrictions in Thailand.

Frankly, I also think your CC idea is daft. It is mostly a restaurant and he GIVES AWAY condoms. Not in bulk of course. Good for him. There is no way such a unique man would be open to outside franchising, and his concept has pretty much nothing to do with a specialized condom/lubricant store. While on the subject a lubricant store can offer sample bottles for people to test the feel of the various brands (on their fingers, don't get carried away now ...)

OK, if you say so. But for all we know they weren't adequately capitalized to grow the business. That's the most common reason for failure. People expect a profit in the first few months, when if they had enough money to grow it, it may be profitable after two years, etc.

You could be right, but one has to consider that if it were at all profitable, by the time you should be making a profit, you would most likely surrounded by dozens of similar stores. This is Thailand. (TIT)  :D

Well, even if it was legal and successful, it wouldn't last long - because Thai businessmen would copy the idea and set up shops all over the place. That's why you see loads of shops in Thailand all selling the same things right next to each other. More than one such sex shop would over saturate the market. Nice idea but in any case, these bijou boutiqey type themey affairs seldom last because people in Pattaya usually only go out looking for groceries! Hmmm.... that gives me a great idea - what about cabbages and condoms? Buy me and get one free?

I don't really expect anyone to do this, certainly not to do this properly, but actually if someone did follow the concept I have in mind, including western style information and customer service, frankly I don't think Thai owners would have a chance to copy it. I am not just talking about a concrete box with condoms, I am talking about creating an environment and experience. As far as blatant whores loitering in the place, they could easily be asked to leave.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't really expect anyone to do this, certainly not to do this properly, but actually if someone did follow the concept I have in mind, including western style information and customer service, frankly I don't think Thai owners would have a chance to copy it. I am not just talking about a concrete box with condoms, I am talking about creating an environment and experience. As far as blatant whores loitering in the place, they could easily be asked to leave.

The people who go to Pattaya for sex won't dig the 'experience' you envisage. They're out for a few beers and a good shag. Condoms are more of a necessary nuisance - they won't want to spend an afternoon perusing the wares of a condom boutique when they can go off to a bar for a new pick-up, followed by a quick detour to the 7-11. Bangkok might be a better place so that family men can go to spice up their marriages.

That's a fair point and probably describes a good sized segment of the condom users here. Of course condoms are a means to a (rear) end, not the thing itself!

Anyway, I won't be investing in this. I would like to see it and if someone did open such a place, I would be a loyal customer just to support the idea. However, I wouldn't pay much more than the standard local prices for the products though.

Edited by Jingthing

An obvious option is a much smaller store specifically for the gay market, probably in the Jomtien Complex largely gay business district. Of course gay men buy more lubricants so they are potentially a more lucrative market per capita then non-gays. That kind of store would also have the advantage of affinity marketing, as many gay men would be happy to support a gay business rather than a big corporate vendor.

Embarassing moment: A few years ago I was at the counter of a Seven-Eleven and while the clerk was adding the tab, I reached over to get some chewing gum. My extended arm happened to hit the condom "display" next to the chewing gum and all at once 7-8 condom packages slid onto the floor. I immediately picked the Trogens to place them back on the unstable stand---- I 'll never forget the customers' expression on their faces behind me! (Hey, I just wanted gum!)

I know that is wrong! Flavored, colored condoms are always on sale at Boots. Let's not get carried away in exaggerating the strange sexual restrictions in Thailand.

Frankly, I also think your CC idea is daft. It is mostly a restaurant and he GIVES AWAY condoms. Not in bulk of course. Good for him. There is no way such a unique man would be open to outside franchising, and his concept has pretty much nothing to do with a specialized condom/lubricant store. While on the subject a lubricant store can offer sample bottles for people to test the feel of the various brands (on their fingers, don't get carried away now ...)

Well Jingthing, if you know all the answers, why post it here as a question.

Good luck in your future condom-shop.

"Maybe I am crazy..."

you answered your own question

Entrepreneurs are quite usually rather crazy. Congrats on your certifiable sanity, dude.

In Australia by far this kind of business is more succesful being only internet based offering prompt postal delievery

which means low overheads and so cheap prices.

Do people really need to go to a shop when you can see pictures or even video clips of the items online ? And i just wonder if showing pictures of sex toys etc with the guarantee of delivery door to door in a plain box would get around the legal restrictions ?

I also wonder if the non-English speaking visitors would physically go into a shop like this ? Now there seem to be more Indians, Russians, Arabs than Westerners in Pattaya ?

So if they were directed to the web site, you could have one web page exclusively in Russian to cater for our ex- Soviet friends because I wonder if they feel comfortable asking for these in 7-11 ? :P

Edited by midas

So if they were directed to the web site, you could have one web page exclusively in Russian to cater for our ex- Soviet friends because I wonder if they feel comfortable asking for these in 7-11 ? :P

I heard the Ruskies like fur-lined booties.

Nah mate ! You must have heard about these and thought about fleece

but they took the fur off :lol:

http://sheepskincondoms.org/

Nah mate ! You must have heard about these and thought about fleece

but they took the fur off :lol:

http://sheepskincondoms.org/

No - but I did hear that Ozzies like those sheepskin condoms without removing them from the sheep. In shitu so to speak.

Well Jingthing, if you know all the answers, why post it here as a question.

Good luck in your future condom-shop.

]

What's your problem?

I didn't ask about colored/flavored condoms? You brought it up.

I already knew there is no problem with those in Thailand.

Also, I have been clear I am not interested in running a business like this. Just opened a discussion about it. You never know. Someone may possibly think it's worth trying (not me!). Cheers.