How Much You Spend Each Month?

falkan

Any other questions?

TN

None at all. I think it's great whenever people are content with their life, regardless of how they're living it.

I just think that it would probably be less than 1% of foreigners living here, would be content living without a fridge or TV, computer etc etc.

As said, this is probably a sadder indication of our lives. :D

Good for you.

Edited by thomo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a market survey to me, I spend what it take to do what I want.

Or something possibly more nefarious if not the OP maybe someone else reading? I'll go with your answer TMI..

Edited by WarpSpeed

OK Falkan, since you and I got hammered on the other thread for daring to suggest that one could have a comfortable life in Phuket for as little as 15,000 baht per month, here is the breakdown of my expenses in the first year I lived here (2009).

Let me preface this by saying I do not begrudge anyone else for living at a higher level of expenses. My point was that you can modulate your lifestyle in Phuket from "humble" to "jet-set" in a way that can't be done easily in other provinces. As long as it's a quality life then that's fine. My minimum criteria for a "quality" life is (1) you have a healthy lifestyle; and (2) you have regular social interaction with the locals on equal (unbought) terms.

The following is the approximate expenditure of a single, unattached male, age 60, with no dependents, no debts or financial obligations (other than that to Immo for the annual retirement extension).

Rent: 2,600 baht per month. I live in a one-room apartment (with private bathroom) on the top floor of an appartment building in central Phuket town. The room has a balcony that overlooks a quiet neighborhood and provides excellent views of the Western hills that separate Phuket town from Patong. Wonderful for sitting with coffee in the morning or a cold beer in the evening for sunset.

Utilities: The minimum is 100 baht for water and 100 baht for electricity, and I rarely go over the minimum. So 200 baht a month. Note that I only use a small fan, no A/C, no fridge. The only electrical device I use (other than fan) is a small pot to boil water and a reading lamp next to my bed.

Transportation: Since I am in no hurry, and Phuket is a fairly compact town, I walk to where I need to go during the week. This involves many kilometers a day of gentle exercise which is good for health maintenance, meeting people, and exploring new shops and restaurants that spring up throughout the year. On "weekends" (Fri-Sun) I rent a motorcycle to visit the beaches and explore other parts of the island. Since becoming familiar with the shop owner, he only charges me the preferred rate of 120 baht per day for the bike. Gas is about 140 baht for the three days. So that comes to (360+140, *4) about 2,000 baht a month.

Internet: I go to a local 24-hour internet cafe that charges me 9 baht per hour. I usually spend about 3 hours a day, checking e-mail, reading news, and pursuing on-line hobbies. About 1,000 baht per month.

Books: 300 baht a month.

Beach chair: 500 baht a month

Beer and coffee: 3,000 baht a month.

Meals: I stick to the places that sell dishes for 40 baht or less and have friendly staff. The best palces are ones in which the owner (or relative) prepares the food herself/himself. The daily cost is 40 baht *3 plus drinks/dessert makes that about 200 baht per day or 6,000 baht a month.

Sports activity: 400 baht a month

Sundry supplies and replacements: 500 baht a month.

This total comes to about 16,500 a month (or about $500 at today's exchange rate.)

Anyone can PM me for more details if they wish.

The 'Man from the Pru' obviousley didnt knock on your door offering retirement planning:D

OK Falkan, since you and I got hammered on the other thread for daring to suggest that one could have a comfortable life in Phuket for as little as 15,000 baht per month, here is the breakdown of my expenses in the first year I lived here (2009).

Let me preface this by saying I do not begrudge anyone else for living at a higher level of expenses. My point was that you can modulate your lifestyle in Phuket from "humble" to "jet-set" in a way that can't be done easily in other provinces. As long as it's a quality life then that's fine. My minimum criteria for a "quality" life is (1) you have a healthy lifestyle; and (2) you have regular social interaction with the locals on equal (unbought) terms.

The following is the approximate expenditure of a single, unattached male, age 60, with no dependents, no debts or financial obligations (other than that to Immo for the annual retirement extension).

Rent: 2,600 baht per month. I live in a one-room apartment (with private bathroom) on the top floor of an appartment building in central Phuket town. The room has a balcony that overlooks a quiet neighborhood and provides excellent views of the Western hills that separate Phuket town from Patong. Wonderful for sitting with coffee in the morning or a cold beer in the evening for sunset.

Utilities: The minimum is 100 baht for water and 100 baht for electricity, and I rarely go over the minimum. So 200 baht a month. Note that I only use a small fan, no A/C, no fridge. The only electrical device I use (other than fan) is a small pot to boil water and a reading lamp next to my bed.

Transportation: Since I am in no hurry, and Phuket is a fairly compact town, I walk to where I need to go during the week. This involves many kilometers a day of gentle exercise which is good for health maintenance, meeting people, and exploring new shops and restaurants that spring up throughout the year. On "weekends" (Fri-Sun) I rent a motorcycle to visit the beaches and explore other parts of the island. Since becoming familiar with the shop owner, he only charges me the preferred rate of 120 baht per day for the bike. Gas is about 140 baht for the three days. So that comes to (360+140, *4) about 2,000 baht a month.

Internet: I go to a local 24-hour internet cafe that charges me 9 baht per hour. I usually spend about 3 hours a day, checking e-mail, reading news, and pursuing on-line hobbies. About 1,000 baht per month.

Books: 300 baht a month.

Beach chair: 500 baht a month

Beer and coffee: 3,000 baht a month.

Meals: I stick to the places that sell dishes for 40 baht or less and have friendly staff. The best palces are ones in which the owner (or relative) prepares the food herself/himself. The daily cost is 40 baht *3 plus drinks/dessert makes that about 200 baht per day or 6,000 baht a month.

Sports activity: 400 baht a month

Sundry supplies and replacements: 500 baht a month.

This total comes to about 16,500 a month (or about $500 at today's exchange rate.)

Anyone can PM me for more details if they wish.

Yeppers, I average that same amount when I was living in Phuket too.

But I probably spend more, since I was still kinda a new tourist type. Though my rent and utilities were free. But the constant eating out, to match the lifestyle of my family members there liking to eat at some restaurants at Central with the aircon ambience....and my favourite pastime for shopping and buying stuff for myself and friends back home was what blew that budget a tad bit.

Yeppers, I average that same amount when I was living in Phuket too.

But I probably spend more, since I was still kinda a new tourist type. Though my rent and utilities were free. But the constant eating out, to match the lifestyle of my family members there liking to eat at some restaurants at Central with the aircon ambience....and my favourite pastime for shopping and buying stuff for myself and friends back home was what blew that budget a tad bit.

Hiya VK, long time no see ! Hows Sing and hows the moto riding?

On topic, wouldn't you go through more money due to the fuel needed to be blasting around on your moto?

I cannot see how anyone would spend 2million baht a year unless they lived in 5 star hotels and were

supporting 5 lady friends.

please select one of my answers -as specified below- according to your liking:

1) little do you know my friend.

2) you have no bloody idea what other people are spending.

:jap:

Hiya VK, long time no see ! Hows Sing and hows the moto riding?

On topic, wouldn't you go through more money due to the fuel needed to be blasting around on your moto?

:D Lots of ups and downs.

I went off to USA a bit, and was struggling to settle back into Singapore due to a lot of broken promises by lots of people. But otherwise, I hope my karma being paid off.

Now trying to live frugally in Singapore. Have a cheap rented place, no TV, no fridge, and sharing a washing machine with another family living in the same unit of cheap flat as I am. I have handphone subscription and a mobile broadband subscription which amounts up to 2000thb per month. Rental is roughly 9000 thb per month.

Yet I am still struggling with stretching my 80 000 thb salary per month in Singapore. Sigh.....life is orrible!

But I still kinda is heavy handed with buying books, especially some that I cant seem to borrow from Singapore's public libraries. Well, I have not started back riding yet, but probably soon, by this year September. Reasons why I cant seem to live frugally, might be also because I eat out and well nowadays, lots of movies & drinking sessions catching up with old friends.

Public transport is getting expensive in Singapore, especially since I now live in the west, and works in the east. And motorcycling will help to cut down in time, which to me, translate to costs. Think Phuket is exact length of Singapore and thats about the distance I commute nowadays.

How I wish I can live like TaoNow. I think he got the right mindset. But its just not possible to do that in Singapore.

Edited by viciouskitty74

Rent for apartment/house with electricity and water

Food,

Visa/visa- run

Insurance

Car/bike - purchased or rented

Petrol for car/bike

Nightlife

Telephone

Internet

Phone

I'll try but i work on a weekly budget after bike and house rental. I Live with my G/f put i'll try and work on a single male budget (late 20's) .

Rent - 7500 a month (2 bedroom house, air-con in one room, kitchen)

Bike - 3000 a month rental (will be buying 2nd hand soon)

Petrol - 1500 a month

Food - 2500 a month

Drink - 3000 a month

Electric - 800 a month

Cable - 350 a month

phone and other - 1000 a month.

Internet - free in work

Thats under 20k - i usually try and spend 2000 a week after rent and and the bike. Other expenses like clothes, etc. isn't a fixed cost and i usually just cut back on the drink or the western food for a couple of weeks. I go over budget some months but i am trying to save money so i try stick to that. I am not rich so i really cannot afford much more than that anyway. Don't feel cheap either, plenty of thai familys do ok with much less. Have got used to not wasting my money, which i did at home, i am happier, healthier and all in all more content without the hassles of keeping up with the jones lifestyle of the west. In saying that if i earned more i think i would spend more but keep with the percentages i do now i.e rent is a certain % and saving would be the same %.

my response to the high livin livinlos was strictly 'tongue in ckeek'' mate

my costs and way of life near mirror yours in fact.

average 60,000 and live real well...

Is 3500 USD or 4000 AUD really high living? I would say not.

cool, thats your opinion mate..

as i and many others said...live real well on 60,000..:)

Actually 4000 AUD at the exchange rate 4 days ago at 27 to 1 works out at 108000 baht and no one i know spends that much on normal monthly expenses and they all live a comfortable life.

Actually 4000 AUD at the exchange rate 4 days ago at 27 to 1 works out at 108000 baht and no one i know spends that much on normal monthly expenses and they all live a comfortable life.

"comfortable" is a relative expression. it cannot be quantified. my foreign friends can hardly believe that i spend (what they think) a peanuts amount living in Thailand. even though that peanuts amount is much more than 108,000 Baht a month. any discussion what is adequate, comfortable or luxurious is completely useless as is the question "how long is a piece of string?"

"comfortable" is a relative expression. it cannot be quantified. my foreign friends can hardly believe that i spend (what they think) a peanuts amount living in Thailand. even though that peanuts amount is much more than 108,000 Baht a month. any discussion what is adequate, comfortable or luxurious is completely useless as is the question "how long is a piece of string?"

Here here! Some types of people spend much more than others. Start adding up staff, insurance, utilities, maintenance on homes and cars, rent and or mortgage, petrol, dining, day to day expenses,going out on weekends etc and you quickly zoom past the 108,000 barrier. That's not even counting hobbies such as golf, diving, cars, travel etc.

Here here! Some types of people spend much more than others. Start adding up staff, insurance, utilities, maintenance on homes and cars, rent and or mortgage, petrol, dining, day to day expenses,going out on weekends etc and you quickly zoom past the 108,000 barrier. That's not even counting hobbies such as golf, diving, cars, travel etc.

What mortgage, i intend to buy a house in the near future and it wont have a mortgage.

What staff, i am retired and my wife doesn't work. i purchased a new car and motorcycle and paid cash.

I will be paying cash for a house so these items are not monthly living expenses.

as i mentioned previously holidays if not local and one of purchases are not included in monthly expenses they are optional extras.

I have found people who have worked hard and are successful and financially secure never talk about money and do not chose

there friends because of there financial situation they chose people they like, people make claims on the internet like they do in the

front bar of a hotel, you take everything with a pinch of salt and believe what you want to believe.

>>What mortgage, i intend to buy a house in the near future and it wont have a mortgage.

I didn't say I have a mortgage or rent either, but most people do if I'm not mistaken. So what I tried (and apparently failed) to do was to break down normal people's expenses, many of these which have been overlooked in everyone's budget.

>>What mortgage, i intend to buy a house in the near future and it wont have a mortgage.

I didn't say I have a mortgage or rent either, but most people do if I'm not mistaken. So what I tried (and apparently failed) to do was to break down normal people's expenses, many of these which have been overlooked in everyone's budget.

Normal expenses while you are establishing yourself in your home country, a retiree living in Thailand with a none o retirement visa does not have these expenses.

The OP was about the everyday cost of living and i presumed he was retired, financially secure and wanted to know the cost of living without going overboard.

As other people have confirmed you can live well on a monthly budget of 60000 baht and if you want to or even less.

I personally do not have a monthly budget, if i want something i have it, if i want to go on holidays we go.

I estimated what it has cost me monthly from what it has cost over the period i have lived here and did not include optional extras.

i presumed he was retired

So you presume everyone is retired and tied down to one holiday a year ? PLEASE. That's kind of narrow thinking isn't it as this day and age is a digital one and not an old style "work for 40 years and save up your money for retirement" to buy a house for 4 million baht and think you've done well.

The OP was about the everyday cost of living and i presumed he was retired, financially secure and wanted to know the cost of living without going overboard.

What gave you that idea that the op was retired, financially secure and wanted to know the cost living without going overboard and why would that change the gist of the OP's qestion, "what do you spend a month"?

i presumed he was retired

So you presume everyone is retired and tied down to one holiday a year ? PLEASE. That's kind of narrow thinking isn't it as this day and age is a digital one and not an old style "work for 40 years and save up your money for retirement" to buy a house for 4 million baht and think you've done well.

What gave you that idea that the op was retired, financially secure and wanted to know the cost living without going overboard and why would that change the gist of the OP's qestion, "what do you spend a month"?

Legally to stay in Thailand over an extended period you need a non O or a study visa or you can invest money in a business or something similar.

I know a lot of people find ways around this that is why Immigration are changing the rules all the time

I did not assume anyone is tied down and can only afford one holiday a year, maybe you did.

By the question asked the OP is looking at living here over an extended period not a short term holiday and has met the visa requirements to do this.

Your assumption that retired people can only afford one holiday a year shows how little you know about people and there standard of living.

>>Legally to stay in Thailand over an extended period you need a non O or a study visa or you can invest money in a business or something similar.

Have you not heard of a B visa or an O visa based on marriage? Not everyone is on a geezer visa.

>>I did not assume anyone is tied down and can only afford one holiday a year, maybe you did.

Did you or did you not say saving for a holiday is a one off?

>>Your assumption that retired people can only afford one holiday a year shows how little you know about people and there standard of living.

Most people I know are already retired well before retirement age and take many holidays. What does "saving for a one off holiday" imply? 10 holidays or 1? You seem to contradict yourself by saying people save for a one off holiday, then you say most retired people take many holidays. Which is it? BTW I have nothing against retired people who worked hard their whole career to save a few bob, but you seem kind of oblivious to others that live here that aren't retired and are doing just fine.

On a side note, you are buying at a good time and should be able to find yourself a nice house at a fire sale price if you look around. I wish you the best and enjoy having a spirited yet amicable debate.

>>Legally to stay in Thailand over an extended period you need a non O or a study visa or you can invest money in a business or something similar.

Have you not heard of a B visa or an O visa based on marriage? Not everyone is on a geezer visa.

>>I did not assume anyone is tied down and can only afford one holiday a year, maybe you did.

>>Your assumption that retired people can only afford one holiday a year shows how little you know about people and there standard of living.

Most people I know are already retired well before retirement age and take many holidays. What does "saving for a one off holiday" imply? 10 holidays or 1? You seem to contradict yourself by saying people save for a one off holiday, then you say most retired people take many holidays. Which is it? BTW I have nothing against retired people who worked hard their whole career to save a few bob, but you seem kind of oblivious to others that live here that aren't retired and are doing just fine.

On a side note, you are buying at a good time and should be able to find yourself a nice house at a fire sale price if you look around. I wish you the best and enjoy having a spirited yet amicable debate.

Where did i say saving for a holiday is a one off, would you mind quoting the post number

Where did i say saving for a holiday is a one off, would you mind quoting the post number

>>as i mentioned previously holidays if not local and one of purchases are not included in monthly expenses they are optional extras.

I thought is was this,but maybe I'm having a hard time understanding your grammar. Now about the B visa and marriage O visa, can you please expound on why people on these visas were not included in your assumptions?

>>as i mentioned previously holidays if not local and one of purchases are not included in monthly expenses they are optional extras.

I thought is was this,but maybe I'm having a hard time understanding your grammar. Now about the B visa and marriage O visa, can you please expound on why people on these visas were not included in your assumptions?

You are miss quoting me, maybe you should wear glasses like i do.

What makes you think i had to wait to the official retirement age to retire, i didn't.

As far as buying property goes if you know what you are doing you buy in at the beginning

of a property boom and sell before it peaks if you do it to make money, and not be stupid

enough to listen to the baloney agents tell you.

Now is not the right time to buy if you are looking at purchasing a home, the market has no

where near bottomed our in Phuket, There must be thousands of unsold property's here and

the only ones that sell the owners have reduced the price on substantially and anyone who

wants to sell in the next year will have to do the same, again i do not include the price

of any house i buy in my monthly budget, its an investment not a cost.

Normal expenses while you are establishing yourself in your home country, a retiree living in Thailand with a none o retirement visa does not have these expenses.

As other people have confirmed you can live well on a monthly budget of 60000 baht and if you want to or even less.

I personally do not have a monthly budget, if i want something i have it, if i want to go on holidays we go.

I estimated what it has cost me monthly from what it has cost over the period i have lived here and did not include optional extras.

But theres a big difference.. I do include what I actually spend.. And it about mirrors what most of the people I know spend..

If I bought a house, of even 10 mil I would lose 2 - 3 mil a year returns as I work my money.. So I have rent from my budget.. Your 60 - 65 gets a lot closer if you add in say a 20k or 25k modest rent.. Add in a car purchase spread over a few years.. A few optional extras and its then very close or about the same.

I was having this discussion with an aussie mate, who assured me he was living on +-60k.. I then had him add up the amounts of money into Thailand and it was no where near his theoretical budget.. Over 100k a month over the year and then he had trips back to oz and a 350k pickup to account for also.. His 60k budget was closer to 150k a month that year in stone cold analysis.

Many of you are proving one can live fairly inexpensively in Thailand and live well. This leads me to believe so much money is pissed away on booze and ladies:)

Ahh the old 'if you spend too much you must be doing immoral things' argument..

No one likes a round of golf ?? Going diving ?? Sailing round the bay ?? A nice motorbike ?? All 4 ??

I thought I remember PetterCallen posting he had bought or used a powerboat (was that someone else).. I wonder if that is in his 60k a month budget ??

Edited by LivinLOS

This seems a vital difference.. Some people are posting on what it is possible to live on, as a minimum.. Others are posting the amount they actually spend each month, averaged over time, which is what the OP asked..

I could 'live' on 40 - 50k a month.. Thats my kind of fixed costs, even with rent, but doesnt include my motorbikes, my holidays, my visas, my electronic items that need to be bought or replaced, or those out of nowhere ones that asia has a way of throwing at you.

As I said in my post, I dont see my outgoings as either boastful, or even much different to the 10's of people I associate with. Its a bell curve and most of us would be in the 80 - 120 range including housing costs and cars.

Hi

Think your spot on LOS, i have been keeping my nose out of this, "if you use more it must be on booze" my God

I use " a lot more" than 100.000 a month, but i got my toys and toys cost money, a couple of cars and a few bikes and like to go out and eat about 3-5 times a week and don’t mind spending 1-4K for me and my GF when we eat, so what its only money, i don’t have any pocket in my last pair of pants when i leave this world, i want to live my life to the fullest and believe me i do. BTW i don’t drink much, been drunk ones in 6 weeks. My house is paid cash so no problem there, but still insurance and (electric ca 4-7K a Month) whatever comes to keep the house nice, gardener, pool service, maid.

Normal expenses while you are establishing yourself in your home country, a retiree living in Thailand with a none o retirement visa does not have these expenses. The OP was about the everyday cost of living and i presumed he was retired, financially secure and wanted to know the cost of living without going overboard. As other people have confirmed you can live well on a monthly budget of 60000 baht and if you want to or even less. I personally do not have a monthly budget, if i want something i have it, if i want to go on holidays we go. I estimated what it has cost me monthly from what it has cost over the period i have lived here and did not include optional extras.

But theres a big difference.. I do include what I actually spend.. And it about mirrors what most of the people I know spend.. If I bought a house, of even 10 mil I would lose 2 - 3 mil a year returns as I work my money.. So I have rent from my budget.. Your 60 - 65 gets a lot closer if you add in say a 20k or 25k modest rent.. Add in a car purchase spread over a few years.. A few optional extras and its then very close or about the same. I was having this discussion with an aussie mate, who assured me he was living on +-60k.. I then had him add up the amounts of money into Thailand and it was no where near his theoretical budget.. Over 100k a month over the year and then he had trips back to oz and a 350k pickup to account for also.. His 60k budget was closer to 150k a month that year in stone cold analysis.

The OP asked what people paid every month in everyday living expenses, i quoted my living expenses owning my own car and motorbike<br>and renting a house, he knows buying a house, car , motorbike etc would be extra to his normal monthly living expenses and if he requires these items he has to pay for them like everybody else, a car and bike depreciate but owning is far cheaper than renting if you live here long term, its not very hard to work out, if you bought a house of EVEN 10 million baht and paid its true value for it you would have a nice house which would appreciate in value and if you wished to sell it would get more for it than you paid for it, so its not an expense its an asset.if you pay cash, if you can get a loan to purchase a house it would increase your monthly budget,if and when you  decide to sell it you get back youroriginal cost plus capital gains, its an investment in my opinion, if you rent its a monthly expense which you are never going to get back.

The OP asked what people paid every month in everyday living expenses

He asked "how much do you spend each month" thats not just living expenses..

Exactly my point with the Aussie mate of mine.. He looked at his rent, his shopping, his bills and thought it was near 60.. Once it was how much money hes brought into Thailand it was 100 and including flights to Oz, buying a pickup etc it was 150...

In his mind his estimated living expenses were only 60, he actually spent 150 or so over that year.

if you bought a house of EVEN 10 million baht and paid its true value for it you would have a nice house<br>which would appreciate in value and if you wished to sell it would get more for it than you paid for it, so its not an expense its an asset.

Totally other discussion but tell that to the guy with the 38 million baht asking price villa, who turned down 28 mil a couple of years ago (wanted 34 at the time) and would take 19 now close to his build cost 5 or so years ago.. Yes its an asset, but as I have averaged >30% returns on my cash, its not a smart financial choice for me. There are other reasons for owning a home beyond financial ones, and at some stage I might buy for exactly those reasons.. But banking on house prices rising over the next few years ?? Well not so solid a bet IMO.

Ahh the old 'if you spend too much you must be doing immoral things' argument.. No one likes a round of golf ?? Going diving ?? Sailing round the bay ?? A nice motorbike ?? All 4 ?? I thought I remember PetterCallen posting he had bought or used a powerboat (was that someone else).. I wonder if that is in his 60k a month budget ??

Not me, not interested in owning a boat , had one once might as well flush your money down the toilet, much cheaper to hire one for the day unless you use it on a regular basis, in a previous post you mentioned the fact you would like a Triumph bike , bought it yet. Again if i bought a boat it would be a one of purchase and not included in my monthly cost of living.