OK, here's the deal. I am buying a nice place (condo) here in BKK. We agreed the sale two years ago, so are paying a very good price for it compared to where the market is now (before anyone asks).

I know that I need to show that the money came in from abroad if I want it in my name, but I didn't know that back then.

Two years back my Thai wife came over to BKK with a large cash deposit. Then a year later I transferred a further slice of cash from my UK bank to Thailand - to my father-inl-law's account (as I didn't have one - and yes, I fully trust him). The Bank of Ayuddha were too stupid to issue a TT3 as requested, but did write a letter saying that I had brought the cash in from abroad.

The final 55% slice for the condo will be transferred this year, and I'll use a better bank to get around this problem.

My question is, if I just show the letter from the Bank of Ayuddha from the first actual transfer alongside the one from another Bank from the final transfer will this get me full legal ownership, or will it be a problem as (i) it is in 2 steps, and (ii) it misses out an initial chunk of cash from the final selling price?

My argument on point (ii) is that I wasn't in the country when I agreed the sale, so couldn't open an account in my own name to transfer to (something that will eb sorted by the final transfer).

I hope this is not too confusing! Any advice or experience out there in this area?

Thanks! :o:D

That sounds like a complex case and is definitely beyond me; in fact, I would say you probably need a lawyer.

However, I can add one thing.

You only have to show proof of foreign funds transfer for the amount the condo is valued by the land office and not the total sales price.

In many cases, this is a lower number for various arcane reasons.

Depending on the numbers, this might help you.