Adult Education For Thais

ableguy

Hi Guys have a serious question, my gf is 31 years old and very bright, left school aged 13, my question is regarding getting her educated to degree levei, Is there any government sponsered education available in Thailand such as night school ? how would she go about getting her high school diploma ( if such a things exists) any info would be greatly appreciated, by the way we are living in Hua Hin but could move.

There will be a Government Sunday only high school program - specifically design for those who left school at 13 years - some where in your amphur which will allow her to graduate with a high school certificate, which in turn can be used to study at a diploma college, the certificate from that college allows her to enroll at a university. sukhothai open university would be an option meaning she can study from home. of course it won't happen over night... think 7-8 years from start to completion.<br>

Yes, there are many adult 'High Schools'in Thailand especially across Bangkok. In Hua Hin, i'm sorry I don't know.

They often operate on an all day Sunday basis.

One of my family members attended one of these schools covering the six years of High School, took about 2.5 years of Sundays. It's very intensive but better than nothing.

The school is located inside Lumpini Park, their equipment etc., is very basic, however the school is accredited by the Education Ministry and when the family member applied for a clerical position, after completing high school, the employer noticed the name of the school and immediately gave her the job.

In the case of my relative, it changed her life. Not only did it give her education and skills, it gave her confidence.

Good luck.

Yes, it's really easy to study this way. A friend is doing M6 now. It took 2 years to study M1-M3, now a further 2 years to finish M6.

sukhothai open university

This is great to hear about. Thanks.

My wife is doing this

2 years of Sunday school, about 2 hrs a day.

(year 1 mornings, year 2 afternoons)

Value of education given ........ nil (about the same value as the real Thai high schoo;l)

But you get the High school diploma if you turn up ever Sunday.

Edited by sarahsbloke

There will be a Government Sunday only high school program - specifically design for those who left school at 13 years - some where in your amphur which will allow her to graduate with a high school certificate, which in turn can be used to study at a diploma college, the certificate from that college allows her to enroll at a university. sukhothai open university would be an option meaning she can study from home. of course it won't happen over night... think 7-8 years from start to completion.<br>

Is that true? I was under the impression that the high school certificate offered through the adult education classes qualifies a person to attend university.

is the suckothai open uni able to be done overseas thru internet? is it free? or are there other option for overseas thais like my husband (he did the sunday finishing of high school as he left school at 13 also)... he is now fairly good with internet and more open to the idea of studying but in israel obviously there are no thai oriented meetings/wats/gatherings or even students (that i know of) , just other labourers, so internet would be the only way... leads would be good..

bina

This is called 'Non Formal Education'.

"Value of education given ........ nil (about the same value as the real Thai high schoo;l"

People probably get out of it about as much as they put into it.

"I was under the impression that the high school certificate offered through the adult education classes qualifies a person to attend university."

It qualifies them to take the tests that allow attendance at a university. They still have to take the 'entrance' tests regular high school students take. GAT/PAT/O NET, and any uni/faculty specific tests a university might give.

"is the suckothai open uni able to be done overseas thru internet?'

It didn't used to be. There are a few meetings and final exams that are usually taken at one of their sites. They usually have a school they can use in the different provinces. That ensures that it's still convenient on those couple of times a term attendance is required.