Green Group Urges Thailand To Shelve Nuclear Plans

george

Green group urges Thailand to shelve nuclear plans

BANGKOK, June 30, 2010 (AFP) - Environmental campaigners on Wednesday urged Thailand to shelve its nuclear power proposals, warning that the cost of the project could be much greater than expected.

Greenpeace said the government's provisional plans to build five nuclear plants could face "huge cost overruns" and pressed authorities to instead focus on renewable energy.

Campaign manager Tara Buakamsri said official estimates for the initial cost of the development was around 15.4 billion dollars, but cautioned that international spending levels for reactors suggested the outlay could be more like 20 billion dollars.

Thailand is exploring the feasibility of tapping atomic power to help meet its growing energy needs, but it has faced strong local opposition to the siting of reactors.

"The expected huge cost overruns for Thailand's planned nuclear power plants, as well as the serious public concern and strong opposition from local communities over a closed power development planning process should convince the government of Thailand and National Energy Policy Committee to cancel the proposed nuclear power plants," Buakamsri said.

He urged authorities to instead concentrate on the research and development of renewable energy, which he said could provide "cheaper, more quickly available and accessible" power as well as reducing emissions.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-06-30

Nuclear energy is the cleanest source of power there is. These so-called "green groups" fail to admit that the use of coal fired plants, which are generally the only alternative, emit dangerous toxins into the atmosphere, as opposed to what a reactor emits; steam and a shoebox full of nuclear waste per individual. Renewal energy sources, such as solar and wind is simply not feasible given Thailand's current requirements.

Environmental campaigners on Wednesday urged Thailand to shelve its nuclear power proposals, warning that the cost of the project could be much greater than expected.

Greenpeace said the government's provisional plans to build five nuclear plants could face "huge cost overruns" and pressed authorities to instead focus on renewable energy.

Of course, as the British, US, German, Spanish, and Danish governments have discovered to their considerable cost, the form of energy which is consistently more expensive, less reliable, harder to maintain, and which delivers a fraction of the energy claimed for it, is renewable in general and windmills in particular.

Greenpeace's attitude is at least consistent; they always argue purely from an emotional viewpoint, not a rational one.

readers on nuclear power plants for thailand should search back a few months....

there have been pros and cons....

most westerners with the exception of those working in gas and oil et al companies prefer thailand NOT even consider nuclear even as a viable alternative....

safety for spent fuel rods storage raises a major concern among numerous others....

in the u.s., the radioactive isotopes which last some 150 yrs have been stored under mountain ranges....

wonder if china would open some mountain range for this sort of storage....

whether we like it or not, unless we understand thai language.... the govt has been recently stepping up its ad promoting nuclear generator plants again--employing known actors and actresses as its spokeperson....

unless westerners are to pitch in and help the local thai people out.... those heftily paid actors and actresses would ultimately win over the locals with their names, charms and sweet talk....

wonder who among us are going to stand up and help out....? :o

Why not do more of this?

3 May 2010

ADB Loan for Solar Plant to Support Thailand's Renewable Energy Target

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - The Asian Development Bank's (ADB) Board of Directors has approved investment in a 73-megawatt solar power plant in central Thailand. The plant, likely to be one of the largest solar photovoltaic projects in the world, will be central to Thailand's efforts to generate much more of its energy from domestic, renewable sources.

this is surely an unexpected welcome news for thailand.

how do we read up on the primary source pls....?

Why not do more of this?

3 May 2010

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - The Asian Development Bank's (ADB) Board of Directors has approved investment in a 73-megawatt solar power plant in central Thailand. The plant, likely to be one of the largest solar photovoltaic projects in the world, will be central to Thailand's efforts to generate much more of its energy from domestic, renewable sources.

I don't know why NASA, ESA etc don't just load up the waste in the back of the space shuttle and send it off to the moon?

I like the idea of a green glowing moon. But then again I like Dr Seuss as well. 

Why not do more of this?

3 May 2010

http://www.adb.org/media/Articles/2010/13233-thailand-solar-energies/

Sorry. I forgot to add the link.

Why not do more of this?

3 May 2010

http://www.adb.org/media/Articles/2010/13233-thailand-solar-energies/

Sorry. I forgot to add the link.

So the loan is $ 70M for part of the cost of 78MW.

I am currently building a gas-fired 750MW plant in Vietnam for a total of $ 620M (plus fuel of course). Coal-fired are more expensive to build, but cheaper to run. Hydro are more expensive again to build, but cheaper to run.

The solar plant output will vary with the input, obviously (nothing at night :D ) and I am surprised at the optimistic value put on it's productivity.

With carbon capture and carbon sequestration techniques improving all the time, I cannot see that renewable energy generation will take over from fossil fuels and hydro at any time soon. The industry is renewing itself all the time - things I did twenty years ago are laughable now. And if Vietnam and the rest of SE Asia are not looking at modern hydro-dams, then they must be pinning their hopes on fossil fuels and nuclear. Not on any 'green' solutions.

<br><br>
<br><br>How is living in Vietnam?  OK, off topic.

<div><br></div><div>A new concept is forming a giant grid that receives energy inputs from different technologies...........have a look at what is happening in the Middle East, Europe and northern Afrrica:</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.euinfrastructure.com/news/super-grid-to-link-Europe-and-the-Middle-East/">http://www.euinfrastructure.com/news/super-grid-to-link-Europe-and-the-Middle-East/</a></div><div><br></div><div>I like this idea.  I wonder if it could get off the ground in Southeast Asia. </div><div><br></div><div>It would create much needed high tech jobs........and reduce CO2 emissions.</div>

So the loan is $ 70M for part of the cost of 78MW.

I am currently building a gas-fired 750MW plant in Vietnam for a total of $ 620M (plus fuel of course). Coal-fired are more expensive to build, but cheaper to run. Hydro are more expensive again to build, but cheaper to run.

The solar plant output will vary with the input, obviously (nothing at night :D ) and I am surprised at the optimistic value put on it's productivity.

With carbon capture and carbon sequestration techniques improving all the time, I cannot see that renewable energy generation will take over from fossil fuels and hydro at any time soon. The industry is renewing itself all the time - things I did twenty years ago are laughable now. And if Vietnam and the rest of SE Asia are not looking at modern hydro-dams, then they must be pinning their hopes on fossil fuels and nuclear. Not on any 'green' solutions.

Hi HB,

Any thoughts on geothermal energy or isn't there just not enough of it by volume in Thailand?

Edited by Garry

Nuclear power plants with a "sabai sabai'" and "may pen rai" attitude? Sounds very, very scary to me.

Are they going to be as careful with their nuclear power plants as they are careful when they drive?

Nothing against nuclear power plants, but nuclear power plants with a Thai attitude? NO THANK YOU!

Nuclear power plants with a "sabai sabai'" and "may pen rai" attitude? Sounds very, very scary to me.

Are they going to be as careful with their nuclear power plants as they are careful when they drive?

Nothing against nuclear power plants, but nuclear power plants with a Thai attitude? NO THANK YOU!

My thoughts also, The idea of thailand with nuclear power plants makes me shiver,

Ah maybe they use the same guys who do the electricity cable birds nests...that should do it.

My thoughts also, The idea of thailand with nuclear power plants makes me shiver,

Ah maybe they use the same guys who do the electricity cable birds nests...that should do it.

I had the same thought!

SCARY!

I had the same thought!

SCARY!

My thoughts too. I see way too much incompetence in Thailand, especially the power grid.

And the mai pen rai attitude....................that is truly scary. "Hey...........that red light is blinking........no problem, just forget about it."

I guess that should one of these plants go ahead there will be a mass exodus of farangs heading out of the country? Nuclear power's not all bad then. Obviously, many of these people won't be flying out on Thai Airways, or any other airline that uses Thai technicians to service their planes; we all know that "they" can't be trusted with anything as complicated as that. In fact, better not fly out at all, "they" obviously lack the right attitude to be responsible air traffic controllers. Drive to the nearest border, not in a Thai made car though, "they" are incapable of making them safely. Use an import, but don't cross any bridges, you can't trust "them" to build one of those properly. Better to walk to the nearest port and take a foreign owned vessel out. Don't use the Gulf side though, all those Thai operated oil and gas platforms are just waiting to explode, "they" could never run such a potentially dangerous piece of equipment. In fact, stay at home, under the bed, dam_n, they're both built by "them" too. We're doomed for sure.

I had the same thought!

SCARY!

My thoughts too. I see way too much incompetence in Thailand, especially the power grid.

And the mai pen rai attitude....................that is truly scary. "Hey...........that red light is blinking........no problem, just forget about it."

Just have this picture of a half finished reactor on a building site, surrounded by bamboo scaffolding tied together with string, and there are several discarded flip-flops and a few plastic food bags which have fallen into the concrete mix for the critical pressure dome.

Just think how important and grand the "Spirit House" will need to be at a nuclear reactor complex. Better not to forget the garland and naam daeng at any time.

I guess that should one of these plants go ahead there will be a mass exodus of farangs heading out of the country? Nuclear power's not all bad then. Obviously, many of these people won't be flying out on Thai Airways, or any other airline that uses Thai technicians to service their planes; we all know that "they" can't be trusted with anything as complicated as that. In fact, better not fly out at all, "they" obviously lack the right attitude to be responsible air traffic controllers. Drive to the nearest border, not in a Thai made car though, "they" are incapable of making them safely. Use an import, but don't cross any bridges, you can't trust "them" to build one of those properly. Better to walk to the nearest port and take a foreign owned vessel out. Don't use the Gulf side though, all those Thai operated oil and gas platforms are just waiting to explode, "they" could never run such a potentially dangerous piece of equipment. In fact, stay at home, under the bed, dam_n, they're both built by "them" too. We're doomed for sure.

Good point............some of probably went a bit too far.

But, come on, if you live here you do see what has been talked about, even if we took it too far.

Personally, I think they could really expand alternative forms of energy other than nuclear.

I agree, were doomed anyway but If they do go ahead with building reactors i think there are many things which should be addressed first,

The problem of corruption will for sure find its way into both the building and running of these plants, As i find it almost impossible to find anything which does,nt involve this in thailand, me thinks nuclear power and corruption are a dangerous recipe,

Security, i very much hope they dont think think a few issan guys in uniform with whistles and led torch will suffice,

Political instability, i dont like to think of the outcome if a bunch or red shirts or whoever decide to target such a nuclear reactor rather than central world and a police force who does,nt actualy police but infact dont act on anything unless for financial gain, This was there for the whole world to see,

What if the tuktuk drivers have a dream that they have the soul right to transport anyone or anything in or out, it already happened at a military naval installation,

BTW do the surrounding asian countrys who would be affected in the event of an accident or meltdown have any say in who should be allowed to join the nuclear reactor club?

I don't know why NASA, ESA etc don't just load up the waste in the back of the space shuttle and send it off to the moon?

I like the idea of a green glowing moon. But then again I like Dr Seuss as well.

What would happen if one of those rockets were to explode in the atmosphere? It would make the BP oil drilling mess look small. And it is not "if", it is "when" it happens. It is like children playing roughly. They only quit when someone gets hurt and everybody knows that will eventually happen.

What would happen if one of those rockets were to explode in the atmosphere? It would make the BP oil drilling mess look small. And it is not "if", it is "when" it happens. It is like children playing roughly. They only quit when someone gets hurt and everybody knows that will eventually happen.

Never heard of explosion proof containers?

While the greens can continue to eat grass, Thailand needs to grow into a modern country like Europe and USA, where nuclear is an everyday experience.

There are many things Thailand has to do to become a modern country before building nuclear power plants such as fighting corruption, enforcing laws and giving decent education.

Having nuclear power plants will not change Thailand into a a modern country!

To be honest i,d be happy if i could get a beer out the fridge or use the usb on my pc without 220 volts flying round me boxers,

If you get 220 volts into your boxers when you use the USB port you are clearly plugging in the wrong thing into your PC...

Something that should really scare people is the fact that China has some 11 commercial nuclear power plants operating now.

TH

Rather commercial NPPs than continuing using coal. Air pollution is bad in parts of China and economical growth based on coal would lead to more problems. Furthermore China is big enough to find space to store nuclear waste. All this brings it down to a matter of due process in handling and enforcement. No shortcuts allowed in nuclear industry.

To be honest i,d be happy if i could get a beer out the fridge or use the usb on my pc without 220 volts flying round me boxers,

If you get 220 volts into your boxers when you use the USB port you are clearly plugging in the wrong thing into your PC...

Get shocks of most appliances in this house, i did talk about it with the land lady ..her answer was mai pen rai but she did say get an electrician in and she will pay,

I checked some sockets and found although all the cables are under the plaster there is no earth cable behind any of the sockets or even on the breaker box,(house is 4 years old)got a so called electrical specialist to come and have a look but his answer was also mai pen rai...said same same hou me,

Truth is myself i learned to live with it but the sad part is my gf is quite a good cook but refuses to go anywhere near the fridge, i did try to show her the trick of standing on a towel and using the oven glove to open the fridge but still she waits for me to retrieve the required ingredients, Concerning the pc the gf trys to convince me it the OS...linux and says....

my notebbook have win seveeeern and not have lectric...think your tuyen have linuc too jing jing also dvd playeer you have linuc...not expec too mut this thailand,

Thailand with nuclear reactors pffft!