"current" Events

patsfangr

I've had varying inputs regarding the cost of electric power. My wife lived in Thailand for several months a few years ago, while her mother was ill. She rented an apartment there, and says she was paying considerably more for electricity

the figures I've heard from some here.

Are the costs far less in the East Coast region than in Bangkok?

Assuming A/C, large refrigerator, TV, and other normal requirements, what do you guys average as a monthly expense for electricity?

While on the subject of utilities, I note that some property adds specifically state "IDD telephone". What differences are there in types of telephone serviice, and are there disadvantages to one over another?

Korat. It's hot here.

We run the air-con all night in the bedroom (12 sq. m.). We also run it much of the day when we're on the computer, watching TV, etc., (all in the bedroom). There is also a small bedroom with AC, which is not used every night. We have a small fridge, no water heater, no pump. There are three TV's in the house and three computers. There is a small water garden with a fountain that runs a few hours a day. We also have one of those manual washing machines.

We just got the bill yesterday and it was for just under 2000 baht.

The ceilings of the two air conditioned rooms have 10 cm of foil backed insulation.

roughly 3k per month for us George, including big fridge, 3 or 4 fans, water pump, pump for the fishpond/waterfall, 30k BTU aircon + one 20k BTU a/c 12 hours per day, PC and Sat Box, water heater and spa. When I am home I use the spa 3-5 hours per day ( i love that thing).

We were spending 20k per month on the telephone :o but we seem to be keeping that down to 5-10k per month now.

If the phone is not "IDD" it's usually via a local exchange in the condo. The disadvantages with the local exchange are:

They can charge you anything for the calls.

If someone call in they may have to go via operator or dial extension number.

There could be a limited number of lines.

There could be problems using a computer on the line, not working at all or frequent cut off.