Long Awaited Books Have Arrived

bina

finally, after three months and a few days, when i finally stopped checking if a package has arrived for me at the kibbutz office, i received my box of books:

minus the 15 $ geologic survey map of udon thani province that i also paid for....

1.the issaan thai eng. dic is hard back, big, no , huge... and since my thai reading has not improved, i cant tell if it is good or not, at least not yet... and to all those that are ready to scream about 'issaan -- laos dialect etc... yeah yeah yeah.... it says Isan thai english on the spine, i know some smart a** will ask me which issan dialect....will try out on the guys next week or so

2.a book of issaan country proverbs with issaan/thai vocab. lists, and english and transliterated footnotes.... sompong got a laugh from the proverbs ... meadish, random, et al... maybe i should scan them and pm them to you all.......didnt we used to ahve a thread of sayings in langu. forum?? i'm going to put a different proverb in our monthly kibbutz newspaper every issue (we used to put biblical proverbs, then 'wise men's sayings', these are really fun, and fairly vulgar, and some were very applicable to us here.very 'chownah' ....)

3.a sort of art 101 book about thai animal and plant motifs etc.... wasnt as exciting as i thought it would be but since i lack english reading material, better than nothing; definately not for art majors, kind of 'popular summing up of thai art'

two books that are an anthropoligists' delight i hope... will read and report back....

theyall came in a thai mailing box i.e. tied with string and no tape really and the books well wrapped in brown paper, all lined with bangkok eng. newspaper... maybe the map fell out, got 'lifted'?

anyway.. thanx to white lotus books... my thai book collection is increasing

Edited by bina

55$ for the dic... i think i got only one in stock (they'lre all used or out of print )

the "thai agriclture: golden cradle of millennia was $20

village life $14

beasts birds etc $22

isarn proverbs 17$

have to ask him about the map...

if you're in thailand, u might be able to find other sources, i was dependant on internet suppliers....

sorry, cant find one...and publishing info is all i thai including the dates in thai characters... it has 16,000 entries, put together by Dr. Preecha PHinthong, and sponsored by the Toyota Foundation (whatevcer that is) , includes samples of how to use the words, and a bibliography of sources translated by samuel a. mattix 1989

the book is amazing: it lists all different variations of the issaan thai, including map with i.d. of type of issaan thai i.e. vientiene lao, khorat, luang prabang lao, etc etc and visual drawings of differring tones etc...plus lists of animals, weaving patterns, trees, fish, birds, idioms, etc.... and best yet, unlike the regular becker dictionary, the print is big!!

22 206 Falvey, Lindsay Thai Agriculture: Golden Cradle of Millennia

22 277 Seri Phongpit & Kevin Hewison Village Life: Culture and Transition

>in Thailand's NortheastBangkok 2001) ISBN 974-7534-92-4

T27048 - Udom Buasri and Klein, Ankana - US$17.50

>SHORT ESARN PROVERBS PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE OF ESARN

>(Khon Kaen, 1995)

>67 pp., 210 x 295 mm, 20 pp. english translation, pbk.

go to the white lotus sight, maybe i missed the isbn numbers....

maybe move this to the language fiends forum.... ?

hulloooo?

can someone move this to the lang. forum please where it belongs?? i stuck it here by accident.....

thanx....

i'm sure several lang. forum people dont bother with the general forum.... (or maybe theyre just ignoring me :o )