Ubc Cable

The_Moog

I'm in a state of shock at the THB11,000 hook-up charge.

Is this some sort of joke?

Hook-ups in neighbouring countries aren't a fraction of this.

Anyone have any other solutions? I'm led to believe that satellite dishes mainly cater for obscure Indian channels.

MOOG.

I too think UBC is a ripoff,

When I had an apt. in Chiang Mai my landlord lived downstairs and I up, he had UBC and a dish was by the corner of the upper deck,so I asked if I could get UBC so my kid could watch cartoons and I football and news.

So UBC came out cut the cable and put in a "T" and ran about 3 meters of cable,drilled a hole in my wall and mounted a reciever box on my TV,the bill was 12000 baht,with a supposed 9000 baht on return of the box,I returned the box when I moved and got 1000 baht.

In the states I could buy the dish,get the new box and 1 month of service for 2500 baht.

There I had satellite dish for my internet,same as IPTV here dial up out and sat return,I payed $100 for all hardware and software,installed my self and $25 a month service and it worked great,I never had 1 minute of problem with it,and if I wanted to call the tech service I called an 800 number and was answered immediately,at no charge to me.

Here I have IPTV,at a cost of 9000 baht up front,$39.00 per month service and have had it for over 6 months,and payed the service every month,

It never has worked,I call tech.service and I pay for the call or pay techs to come to my home to work on it,Just last week I payed 4000 baht for a service tech to come and fix it,or I send Email to cs-loxinfo and almost everytime I get no reply. and at least I get no sat service,,in the states I got downloads at 400kbps,here when it works I should get 265 kbps they say,sure would be nice to find out,HUH.

So I don't guess that UBC is near as big a rip off as CSCOMS-LOXINFO.

Usually UBC runs some kind of promotion whereby you get a free TV or something of the sort along with the instalation fee. It changes month to month so if there is nothing on now, then you might want to wait a month. There is also the option of cable TV if you are in a city. There's not as much live sports and the channels tend to be more Austrlaian than American, but still 20 or 30 channels of English TV for a few hundred baht a month and a very small instalation fee is not bad...

There is also the option of cable TV if you are in a city. There's not as much live sports and the channels tend to be more Austrlaian than American, but still 20 or 30 channels of English TV for a few hundred baht a month and a very small instalation fee is not bad...

Tell me more! I live in Bangkok but the house I am living is almost 200 meters from the pole/street. I have UBC but I had to buy a dish. I wouldn't mind going for a cheaper service and buy the movie to view on dvd instead.

Can I buy the cable from Chinatown? What company is cable ? Is it UBC as well? If so, they told me the problem was with leakage due to the length of the cable.

I suppose I will be stuck with UBC. :o

back in the state i use to open the cable box(ground line) and mess around with it, adding some extra part and yola! free cable, not sure about here tho, UBC basicly are satalite cable within the the box there are a card, that card can be program if you know how, i don't have UBC so i never try, anyway this aint my country so im staying away from it. :o

back in the state i use to open the cable box(ground line) and mess around with it, adding some extra part and yola! free cable, not sure about here tho, UBC basicly are satalite cable within the the box there are a card, that card can be program if you know how, i don't have UBC so i never try, anyway this aint my country so im staying away from it. :o

Yes..I heard this as well. My Landlord said that the previous tenant [Canadian] who stayed in the Condo I stay now, used to have some box and got all Channels Free. He was not sure whether it is UBC or something else.

I also do agree that the money you pay for using UBC is too high in Thailand.

But it is better to have it in Thailand, as we do not have cable TV in Sri Lanka. :DB)B)

[Heard someone tried and failed]

There is also the option of cable TV if you are in a city. There's not as much live sports and the channels tend to be more Austrlaian than American, but still 20 or 30 channels of English TV for a few hundred baht a month and a very small instalation fee is not bad...

Tell me more! I live in Bangkok but the house I am living is almost 200 meters from the pole/street. I have UBC but I had to buy a dish. I wouldn't mind going for a cheaper service and buy the movie to view on dvd instead.

Can I buy the cable from Chinatown? What company is cable ? Is it UBC as well? If so, they told me the problem was with leakage due to the length of the cable.

I suppose I will be stuck with UBC. :o

In the North the main one is WeTV I believe. its what you find in most hotels and restaraunts who understandably don't want to spend the big money for UBC. I'm positive that similar services are on offer in Bangkok, if not WeTV itself, but I'm not sure where to tell you to look. Maybe google- 'cable TV thailand'?

While we're at it, does anyone know why UBC can't sell advertising? Who's preventing them? With advertising dollars, they could afford to bring down the prices and buy some up to date programming. Most of what you see on the Discovery Channel/National Geographic etc. was produced years ago. Its especially humourous when you watch the tech shows and they are discussing what exciting gadgets might just be around the corner and its some outdated piece of equiptment I bought two years ago...

I was going to start a thread like this the other week. I live in a building where other people have UBC including the man in the next room. I’m not going to pay 10000 plus just for them to run a cable 10 feet along the wall. I asked the guy next door how much he paid for instillation and he would not tell me. He thought I was suggesting that I connect up the cable to his line for free ( I think he’s Belgian.) I have seen UBC before and it is better than Thai TV. But if anyone form UBC read this – ITS JUST NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

[While we're at it, does anyone know why UBC can't sell advertising? Who's preventing them? With advertising dollars, they could afford to bring down the prices and buy some up to date programming. Most of what you see on the Discovery Channel/National Geographic etc. was produced years ago. Its especially humourous when you watch the tech shows and they are discussing what exciting gadgets might just be around the corner and its some outdated piece of equiptment I bought two years ago...]

Bob,

When IBC; now UBC applied for a operating licence the land based TV sations complianed they would suffer due to the loss of advertizing revenue to the satelite service so, in order to protect the exisiting TV stations UBC was granted an operational licence and only permitted to broadcast without commercials.

In practice, we as UBC subcribers are the group which keeps the land based TV stations in business.

I know that in the USA there is no advert. on sat,,thats the reason that most people buy it, also buy the HBO and other movie channels,I know for sure thats why I did as I do not like to have a movie interupted by commercials every 12 minutes and more often than that late in the evening,,I timed it one time and the movie ran continuously and every 3 minutes there was 3 min. of advert.so you missed most of the movie.If you pay for something,why should you have to look at advert.

[While we're at it, does anyone know why UBC can't sell advertising? Who's preventing them? With advertising dollars, they could afford to bring down the prices and buy some up to date programming. Most of what you see on the Discovery Channel/National Geographic etc. was produced years ago. Its especially humourous when you watch the tech shows and they are discussing what exciting gadgets might just be around the corner and its some outdated piece of equiptment I bought two years ago...]

Bob,

When IBC; now UBC applied for a operating licence the land based TV sations complianed they would suffer due to the loss of advertizing revenue to the satelite service so, in order to protect the exisiting TV stations UBC was granted an operational licence and only permitted to broadcast without commercials.

In practice, we as UBC subcribers are the group which keeps the land based TV stations in business.

B)

Serge,

And may I second that. B)

Mine only cost me 2,000 Baht to move it from BKK to Kan (long time subscriber). Eat your hearts out. B) Two years ago we moved it. :o

May the Wok be with you “as my Palaya calls the dish on our roof”.

B)B)B)B):D

I think it is rather silly to complain about advertising when all UBC does is fill the time with elevator music and a still shot of their own advertising written on piece of card-board with magic marker or something like that.

I much prefer professional advertising that at least attempts to be interesting.

I much prefer professional advertising that at least attempts to be interesting.

Yes Please B)B)B)

Nice quote G.B.

B):o

At least we are not "Kee Nee Owl". It is called PAY T.V. and not "CheapCharlieski T.V." Which is what people are looking for in this thread.

B)

:D

May the Wok be with you in the Kitchen and on your Roof.

Amazing Thailand. B)B)

I used to have a DSTV dish. Same channels, better picture quality etc. I think I paid B5000 to have it installed. Is B11k for cable UBC or DSTV UBC?