No Chickens For Swedish Jets

george

No chickens for jets

AIR FORCE: The air force's chickens-for-jets deal with Sweden has hit a snag due to problems with the chicken export quota.

Air force chief ACM Khongsak Wantana said the barter trade agreement cannot proceed because of chicken shortages.

Sweden has agreed to barter Gripen jet fighters for Thai chickens. ACM Khongsak said the air force prefers to have US-made F-16s to Swedish Gripen JAS 39s, but the US jets are much more expensive. The air force is considering three options _ the Gripen JAS-39, the F-16 C/D and Russia's SU-30, he added

--Bangkok Post 2005-06-28

Chickens and Jets – reminds me of the old story about testing the windscreen on jets.

Since jets obviously run the risk of hitting birds the engineers where attempting to figure how to test the windscreens for just such a case. They built a device to “shoot” a chicken body at the windscreen. The day of the test arrives they load the device – and pow – the bird goes flying right thru the windscreen. The engineers are astonished. How could this happen? They had run the calculations, and were certain the windscreen would withstand the impact. The engineers scurry off to recheck the calcs. Yep – sure enough what just happened should not of happened.

Engineering return to the test bay to review test procedures - turns out they used a frozen chicken for the test. :D

Back to the Thailand predicament – Is the problem relate to a quota or to a shortage or chickens or both? :D:D

Maybe they can make up the difference in pigs. Of course then there would be the conversion issue – how many chickens equals one pig? :o

Like the chickens, the Swedish jets are also incable of staying in the air longer than 13 seconds....... :D

:o

Just for info people. The Gripen is a joint venture, 50% holding each between SAAB Sweden and BAE SYSTEMS United Kingdom. These will stay in the Air, don't worry about that. It's also true about the Chickens (frozen) being shot at the windscreens, although i doubt at this volume that would be the purpose of the deal. I have seen the effect of Jets having been hit by a bird strike and many a Pilots lives have been saved by this method of testing. :D

Mr BoJ

AIR FORCE: The air force's chickens-for-jets deal with Sweden has hit a snag due to problems with the chicken export quota.

What - I though Sweden had politely (and sensibly, and hopefully with a straight face) rejected the deal suggested by Thaxin. :D

Air force chief ACM Khongsak Wantana said the barter trade agreement cannot proceed because of chicken shortages.

This sounds more like some lame and made-up excuse from the air force. Can't get a "commission" from a deal in chickens, perhaps? :o

Sweden has agreed to barter Gripen jet fighters for Thai chickens. ACM Khongsak said the air force prefers to have US-made F-16s to Swedish Gripen JAS 39s, but the US jets are much more expensive.

I wonder just how much more expensive - in chickens, that is! :D