Royal Thai Navy Unmanned Underwater Vehicle

webfact

Royal Thai Navy Unmanned Underwater Vehicle

gallery_327_1086_3901.jpg

Despite not being at war, Thailand’s navy’s lack of funding to purchase submarines has forced it to be overshadowed by neighboring Singapore and Malaysia.

Yet this has not discouraged the Royal Thai Navy as over the past years it has actively worked on a secret weapon efficiently to train its warships.

Our reporter Chaowarat Yongjiranon went to a naval base to find out what it is.

Ever since World War II Thailand’s navy only had one wish, and that was to own a submarine.

After decommissioning its last four submarines, it could no longer afford new ones worth billions of baht.

The country faced the bleak future of being overshadowed by its Southeast Asian neighbors.

But not all is lost.

Meet Kraitong, Suksakorn, and Vichuda. They are Thailand’s first Unmanned Underwater Vehicles or UUVs.

Moving at the speed of three knots, these petite vehicles should not be underestimated as each moves and acts just like a submarine thousand times larger than their size.

Every year the navy spends millions of baht in purchasing one-time-use foreign UUVs to act as mobile targets for its warship training.

But with its resurfacing capabilities, the Thai UUV can be used repeatedly with a lifespan of more than five years.

The price tag? Only 1.5 million baht each.

But getting to this point took many years of hard work as researchers of the Royal Thai Navy and Kasetsart University, struggled to invent something new that was cost efficient.

The country’s lack of strong rubber to reinforce any automatic arms pushed the team to new frontiers.

In the future, Thai researchers hope not to only use the UUV for military purposes, but for commercial use as well.

Now this is the first time that one of the submarine prototypes will be put under pressure in a chamber, whereby its is going to withstand pressure equal to that of under 30 meters low in water.

If it can survive for 4 hours, that means it’s a success and the mass production of these submarines are ready to go.

But all was not meant to be as just half an hour after the chamber was filled with water, it started to leak.

Afterwards, the team told TAN Network, the experiment was a success. So as the famous saying goes, if all else fails, try, try again.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-07

footer_n.gif

The Thai Navy has gotten off cheap at 1.5 million baht. The Malaysian Navy bought 2 subs for 34,370,255,133 baht and they can't go out either:

Malaysia says first submarine unable to dive

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 11 (AFP) - Malaysia's first submarine, a European-made Scorpene delivered last September, has developed problems that make it unfit for diving, the defence minister said Thursday.

The KD Tunku Abdul Rahman sailed into a grand reception last year as the first of two commissioned from French contractor DCNS and Spain's Navantia for a total of 3.4 billion ringgit (961 million dollars).

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/35190

LMAO and those stupid Americans and Russians are spending billions of dollars when they can have a perfect weapon for $50 000.

Amazing Thailand is a leader in weapons innovations and manufacturing-this would be the new slogan, shortly after Thailand’s first Unmanned Underwater Vehicles or UUVs sunk after being attacked by the prawns headlines

I am proud that the generals in the Thai military selected the vocation they did. What could they have done to the medical practice of Thailand if they had decided to be doctors?

They would develop a way to remove tonsillitis with laser via anal passage LOL

I don't quite get the point of this article.

The navy wants a submarine? Why?

They are championing local technology? It failed it's tests

They want to save money? Not massive apparent savings.

They want to show the rest of Asia they can compete? The don't have rubber and it leaks anyway.

More worrying is that they appear to have purchased the things before they have been tested to 30m of depth? A very "sub" marine.

:lol:

Edited by Thai at Heart

I thought the Thai navy trained jointly with other nations. Any way if they can afford Harrier Jump jets and aircraft carriers like I see on the Thai TV when the national anthem is played, they must have plenty of wonga .

Dear God ! That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. There's a perfectly good tourist submarine working here in Pattaya. Doesn't leak or anything. They could paint it grey and tie it up beside the aircraft carrier. That should make the Japs think twice about invading again.

post-70418-094071800 1278527069_thumb.jp

Edited by Spalpeen

Does anyone know how many fighter jets Thai Military have and how many aircraft carriers?

Where do the keep the carriers? and when do they use the fighter jets?

They have one aircraft carrier, that can carry about a dozen planes or copters. About 60 F-16s, plus 12 Grippens from Sweden on order to replace their old F-5s.

Any way if they can afford Harrier Jump jets and aircraft carriers like I see on the Thai TV when the national anthem is played, they must have plenty of wonga .

Thailand's military budget actually isn't very big as a percent of gdp compared to most nations. A small aircraft carrier plus some second hand harriers for it isn't that expensive.

Does anyone know how many fighter jets Thai Military have and how many aircraft carriers?

They have one aircraft carrier, that can carry about a dozen planes or copters. About 60 F-16s, plus 12 Grippens from Sweden on order to replace their old F-5s.

The aircraft carrier cannot operate normal plane. Only jump jets and helicopters.

I wonder why they buy it in the first place.

Most jump jets (bought 2nd hand) is now broken.

Only being tested down to 30 meters....

IF it lasts 4 hours.

I have a video camera housing good for better.

My brother in law dives 120 feet 6 days a week in a dry suit....

And he's more mobile.

What good is a 100 foot deep submarine?

Oh yes status and sightseeing.

The aircraft carrier cannot operate normal plane. Only jump jets and helicopters.

I wonder why they buy it in the first place.

Most jump jets (bought 2nd hand) is now broken.

Heard something similar about the Harriers and the reason they never sail the carrier, is that they cant afford the fuel to run it...:whistling: