Can Apartments Get Super Fast Net?

Dancali

I'm looking to get an apartment soon and I will have a direct connection. But I need to get premium internet and was looking at the internet packages offered by one of the phone companies (TOT, TAT). Can they hook up the fast connection in my room even though it's located 15 stories above ground?

Any other ideas for a good connection?

Thanks.

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to get cable internet access. ISDN or ADSL is less likely because of apartment building switches etc, but you should check with the building manager.

My aprtment complex on Soi Langsuan has shared ADSL by way of an apartment intranet.Just have to plug your cat5 cable into the apartment network access point.They are going wifi soon I beleive.

I usually get full bandwidth becaue no one else seems to use it that much.

Check to see if you apartment can install a direct phone line. This means you have your own telephone number and not an extension number. If you have a direct line, you can install ADSL on whatever floor your apartment is located in that building. However, be sure that they can install the direct line, i.e. some document to prove it. Sometimes the Thai person will not understand you and smile and say yes to your question. Later, you find out that is not the case. Double check or even triple check because after you sign the apartment lease, you are there to stay.

Guest IT Manager

There are 2 issues,to enable cable access (super fast for Thailand).

What is the age and type of cabling installed in the building, ergo, how old is the building?

And is there provision to bring a cable in from the street to your apartment?

Most building managers wont know whether you can access it, since their job is building management and their area of interest in also, building management.

You need to contact cable providers, TOT, TT&T and Asian, and see who has the cable. When you locate the cable, if you don't speak Thai, get someone who does and go to their office, with a map of the area you live in, with a very accurate idea of the building location.

ask the engineer to see the current "CABLE LOCATION MAP" which should be within the past month.

Overlay your map and locate the last new installation point on their map and your map.

Aim for total maximum distance from the last connection to you, of 3 km. Less is heaps better. All the companies can tell you if iot is in your telephone exchange, but the issue is the length of copper from you to the glass. More is worse. Perfect world the idea of 300 metres is attractive to me.

More than 3 kms forget it. May as well have dial up. The current copper layout here is attrocious. It is just another way to fleece you. Until the copper is bright and shiny from the glass to you, you are wasting money. :o

Hope it helps.