Thai Sex-Case Musician Mikhail Pletnev Gets Bail

webfact

GRAMMY-WINNER

Sex-case musician gets bail

By The Nation, Agencies

gallery_327_1086_2367.jpg

Activists worry that Grammy Award winner Mikhail Pletnev, arrested for alleged child-sex, may not return to Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Activists voiced concern yesterday that a famous Russian pianist and conductor arrested in Pattaya this week for alleged child-sex offences may flee and not return after a court allowed him bail and permission to travel overseas.

Mikhail Vasillievich Pletnev - a Grammy award winner and founder of the Russian National Orchestra - was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping a 14-year-old Thai boy who stayed at one of his homes in the beachside resort.

Pletnev's whereabouts are now unknown since a court allowed him to be released yesterday on a bail guarantee of Bt300,000.

The Russian news agency Itar-Tass reported that the internationally acclaimed musician had been allowed to leave the country after vowing to return in 12 days.

"There was a court ruling. The court allowed Mikhail Pletnev to leave the country on condition of an extra bail and bound him to show up in court on July 18," Andrei Dvornikov, head of the embassy's consular department, was quoted as telling Russia 24 TV, Itar-Tass said.

Pletnev and his Thai lawyer sought permission for the conductor to leave the country so he can take part in a tour with his orchestra.

Police in Pat-taya said the musician was detained on Monday following a tip from Traipob Boon-masong, a 40-year-old Thai charged with child rape for alleged involvement in a child prostitution ring. Police said they confiscated pictures of young boys, some alongside foreigners.

Evidence against Pletnev included a statement from the alleged victim, police Lt-Col Omsin Sukkanka told Associated Press. "The boy said he had lived in Traipob's house for a year and was raped by Pletnev twice. The first time was in the middle of last year and the second early this year," Omsin said. He added that Pletnev had appeared in some photographs with the alleged victim, but no suspicious activity was depicted.

The musician, who could face up to 20 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt40,000 if found guilty, denied the charge. In telephone interviews with AP, Pletnev described what happened to him as a "misunderstanding".

"I have no idea how the charges came about," he said. "But I more or less know where they came from."

Sompong, a business associate who gave only his first name, told AP Pletnev was a victim of blackmail, but gave no details.

Pletnev, 53, won a Grammy award in 2005 and was the founder of Russian National Orchestra, the country's first independent orchestra. He has two luxury homes in Pattaya, including one at Soi Siam Country Club, plus a res-taurant, a badminton club, other businesses, plus jet skis.

He has performed twice at the Thailand Cul-tural Centre, with the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra.

Supphakorn Noja, director of the Child Protec-tion and Devel-opment Centre, said he feared the court's decision not to ban Pletnev from travelling overseas would allow the Russian to jump bail. Supphakorn said Traipob ran a website providing child prostitution for gay males and that there could be more than 40 boys in Chon Buri involved.

The investigation into the ring began when a complaint was lodged by parents who said their 11-year-old son was raped by Traipob, who allegedly recorded the act.

Traipob has been charged with four offences: rape of a minor under 15 years of age; providing sexual gratification for others through prostitution; employing minors under 15 to perform lewd acts; and human trafficking of minors under 15.

Pletnev was quoted by the Pattaya Daily News on Tuesday as saying police had searched his house but they had not found nude photos of boys on his computer.

He said reports that said he was a paedophile were distorted and untrue.

In the interview, Pletnev said he had never been involved in illegal or illicit dealings with children and he assumed he was a suspect due to his connection with Traipob. He said he paid Traipob to take care of his home and did not know what type of business Traipob was running.

Pletnev did not deny that there might be indecent materials on the computers as he was frequently not at home and gave access to the houses to Traipob.

Meanwhile, in Moscow, the Russian ombudsman for child rights, Pavel Astakhov, was quoted by the state news agency RIA Novosti as saying the Investigative Committee, Russia's top investigative body, "should look into the

possibility of a criminal case".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-08

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Activists voiced concern yesterday that a famous Russian pianist and conductor arrested in Pattaya this week for alleged child-sex offences may flee and not return after a court allowed him bail and permission to travel overseas.

Sound like Thaksin case.

Why free him, if the court know that he is going to escape?

Perhaps the police does not have that much of a case against him? The judge who decided the (pretty low) bail would have weighed the facts (I know I know, this is Thailand). But let's not forget that Pletnev also has some very valuable assets in Thailand which might be seized if he jumps bail.

So if he is proven innocent the world will never know , they only read in the news that he raped a boy.

His old friends in Russia will probably never talk to him again.

This could happen to anyone in Thailand.

Russian conductor facing sex charges leaves Thailand

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Famed Russian conductor Mikhail Pletnev, charged in Thailand with r_ping a 14-year-old boy, has left the country and is believed to be heading to Moscow, an airline official said Thursday.

Pletnev, artistic director of the acclaimed Russian National Orchestra, was granted permission by a Thai court Wednesday to travel overseas but is required to report back to court every 12 days.

He flew out of Thailand on an Emirates flight which left Bangkok at 2:40 am (1940 GMT Wednesday) for Dubai, a spokeswoman for the carrier said.

"The passenger will connect with flight EK133 for Moscow," due to arrive at 2:45 pm local time (1045 GMT), she added.

An immigration official who asked not to be named confirmed that Pletnev had left the country. His next scheduled engagement is a performance with his orchestra in Ohrid, Macedonia, on July 12.

Pletnev was released Tuesday after he posted 300,000 baht (9,300 dollars) bail following his arrest in the Thai resort of Pattaya on a charge of r_ping an underage boy, a crime which carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.

The conductor was arrested after police began investigating allegations by the victim that he had been r_ped by a Thai man and procured on behalf of many foreigners. Pletnev has denied the allegations.

The probe uncovered photos of Thai boys with foreigners, including Pletnev, according to the police. The Thai man has been charged with trafficking, procurement and r_pe of underage boys.

Pletnev, 53, founded the Russian National Orchestra in 1990 just before the break-up of the Soviet Union and his arrest has sent a shockwave through Russia's musical world.

He first shot to fame as a virtuoso pianist, winning the International Tchaikovsky Competition in 1978 at the age of 21.

In the early 1980s he started conducting and in recent years gave up piano concerts in favour of his increasingly in-demand conducting activities.

His recordings with the RNO of the Russian classics, notably symphonies by Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov, have been hailed by critics.

He is a member of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev's advisory council on culture and art and in 2005 won a Grammy award for best chamber music performance.

The Russian government sent an "urgent order" to its embassy in Thailand to look into the situation and provide consular assistance to Pletnev, according to a statement carried by the Interfax news agency Wednesday.

"The Russian ministry of culture has learned about the situation... of the world famous musician Mikhail Pletnev with great concern," it added.

Thailand is infamous for its flourishing prostitution and child sex trafficking.

It has made efforts to clean up its image and in 2008 expelled former glam rocker and convicted paedophile Gary Glitter to his native Britain after he had served nearly three years in a Vietnamese prison.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-08

<br>Perhaps the police does not have that much of a case against him? The judge who decided the (pretty low) bail would have weighed the facts (I know I know, this is Thailand). But let's not forget that Pletnev also has some very valuable assets in Thailand which might be seized if he jumps bail.
<br>I always suspected this is a set-up.As orosee says the low bail and being allowed to leave the country lends some weight to this, I reckon. It certainly sounds like he has a lot of money tied up here in Pattaya, but I guess he also has lots elsewhere as well and so not returning to Thailand next week would not materially affect him. But failure to return would probably result in his being put on an interpol list, so he could not travel anywhere and would be liable to extradition. I'm sure he'll be back. Assuming he's innocent, he has somehow to clear his name. As a result of so much bad and ever-changing reporting, almost every major newspaper on the planet is now carrying major stories about this guy being a pedophile running a sex ring of under age prostitutes. A reputation built up over more than 30 years is in tatters.<br><br>

<br>Perhaps the police does not have that much of a case against him? The judge who decided the (pretty low) bail would have weighed the facts (I know I know, this is Thailand). But let's not forget that Pletnev also has some very valuable assets in Thailand which might be seized if he jumps bail.
<br>I always suspected this is a set-up.As orosee says the low bail and being allowed to leave the country lends some weight to this, I reckon. It certainly sounds like he has a lot of money tied up here in Pattaya, but I guess he also has lots elsewhere as well and so not returning to Thailand next week would not materially affect him. But failure to return would probably result in his being put on an interpol list, so he could not travel anywhere and would be liable to extradition. I'm sure he'll be back. Assuming he's innocent, he has somehow to clear his name. As a result of so much bad and ever-changing reporting, almost every major newspaper on the planet is now carrying major stories about this guy being a pedophile running a sex ring of under age prostitutes. A reputation built up over more than 30 years is in tatters.<br><br>

My understanding is Thailand is not a member of interpol.

Pletnev won't come back for sure : child rights activist

BANGKOK: -- Russian pianist Mikhail Pletnev left Thailand for Dubai early Thursday despite charges of raping a 14-year-old boy that require him to return within 12 days, officials said.

"He was a passenger on the flight for Dubai, where he was scheduled to fly on to Moscow," an official for Emirates Airline said in Bangkok.

Pletnev - a renowned pianist, composer and founder of the Russian National Orchestra - was arrested Monday in Pattaya, a beach resort 100 kilometres south-east of Bangkok, on charges of raping the Thai boy.

He was released Tuesday on bail of Bt300,000 baht and ordered to report to court every 12 days.

Pattaya court, which initially barred Pletnev from leaving the country, later agreed to his lawyers' request that he could leave on the condition he return by July 18, police said.

"This is a very strange case," Pattaya Immigration Police Colonel Arthitsawit Kamonrat said. He said it was odd that police at Pattaya's Bang Lamung district, where Pletnev was arrested, did not object to his request for bail and permission to leave the country.

"Now we will have to wait until July 18 to see if he's jumped bail or not," Arthitsawit said in a telephone interview with the German Press Agency dpa.

Pletnev, a part-time resident in Pattaya where he owned several houses, has been under investigation for child abuse by police and children rights groups for months, police said.

A 14-year-old Thai boy was willing to testify that Pletnev abused him, police said.

"I'm very sure he won't come back to Thailand," said Supagon Noja, a spokeswoman for the Child Rights Protection Group in Chonburi province, where Pattaya is located.

The musician claimed he was innocent. If found guilty of raping a minor, Pletnev faces up to 20 years in jail.

According to Pattaya-based child-protection groups, the pianist had a history of child abuse at the resort, which is notorious for its nightlife and prostitution.

"We've been working on his case with the police for a long time now and finally had him arrested," Supagon said, "and he's gotten away so easily."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-08

Thai court have the habit of letting people go, knowing 100% that they won't come back.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

Euro 7,300 has secured his release. I'll bet in blocks of Euro 7,300 he will never return - any takers????smile.gif

I won't bet you money because that would be illegal in Thailand, but I think he will be back to clear his name. It looks like the Thai Pimp is the culprit in an old and very obvious boys-in-brown-mail scam. Will he be smart enough to out maneuver them? or does he indeed know what game is really underway? He's been here for 15 years but only on holidays I guess, so perhaps he might have taken the bait hook line and sinker? One thing is for sure is that there are some nasty individuals trying to extract a lot of money from him and no doubt already have.

Euro 7,300 has secured his release. I'll bet in blocks of Euro 7,300 he will never return - any takers????smile.gif

No, coz I do not have that kind of cash. But since I have been suggesting there is much more to this case than meets the eye and that he has most likely been set-up, I'll donate Bt, 3,000 to a charity of asiawatcher's choosing if he fails to return. I trust asiawatcher will make a similar donation if he does indeed return smile.gif

boogiewoogie - I am still waiting for your response to the question I raised on the closed thread . You'll recall that yesterday at 08:31 you wrote -

Funny coincedence: he was accused in 98 in the very same crime, but was realesed later.

- to which I responded -

Can you please give us some proof of that allegation? I can't find any information about it.

Since you are not providing proof of the accusation and subsequent release, you will understand that I have doubts about its veracity. (I will gladly retract if you later post such evidence)

Just another sleazy Pattaya guy....it's a long historical list....and hardly surprising.

Isn't the free press wonderful. It permits stupid remarks from morons like the one above. What evidence do you have that the suspect is "just another sleazy Pattaya guy"?

No, coz I do not have that kind of cash. But since I have been suggesting there is much more to this case than meets the eye and that he has most likely been set-up, I'll donate Bt, 3,000 to a charity of asiawatcher's choosing if he fails to return. I trust asiawatcher will make a similar donation if he does indeed return smile.gif

Happy to :) let me know.

Having sex with under age boys is a serious crime in Thailand.

I hope he is lock away for good.

Such an evil man he is.

he hasnt been convicted yet..."hold yer horses"...jai yen yen

dont forget the police often set people up. nobody knows yet, hard to make judgement calls!!

I am curious about the use of the word rape in this case. Is that word always used when an adult is found to have had any kind of sex with someone as young as 14 (similar to statutory rape cases in the US)? Or do they literally mean sex forced by real or threatened violence, which to me is the most common meaning of the term? Don't get me wrong, I agree with the activists that "consent" of a child is meaningless and is not consent in the adult sense. But again rape implies VIOLENCE. So if there wasn't violence, why isn't the charge called molestation, etc?

Edited by Jingthing

Happy to :) let me know.

You're a gentlemen. We will know next week who gets to make the donation.

Activists voiced concern yesterday that a famous Russian pianist and conductor arrested in Pattaya this week for alleged child-sex offences may flee and not return after a court allowed him bail and permission to travel overseas.

Sound like Thaksin case.

The similarities continue to mount

Mikhail Pletnev

He flew out of Thailand on an Emirates flight which left Bangkok at 2:40 am for Dubai

Anyone that knows Siam will understand this statement:

The credibility of the Russian official and their looking into a criminal case shows much more credibility than anything the Thai police, activists, or Thai man (and pimp) will ever have.

The other side of the story could go like this; the Pimp gets busted by the police, the police ask or he volunteers that he knows a rich farang. At this point a story is constructed to implicate said rich fariang. Police extort money out of rich farang. Pimp walks away a free man to continue his illegal trade and at the same time has a new business and partner ( police) to find and locate new rich farangs.

I would bet the above scenario is likely to be the correct one than the allegations. If I'm wrong I hope he gets locked away for a long time ! On the other hand people should know the above story happens all the time in Pattaya and the main job of the police when it comes to Farangs is extorting money not finding justice.

• Like 1