How To Spend 310,000 Baht In 10 Nights In Bangkok

How to spend 310,000 Baht in 10 glorious days and nights at Bangkok Bumrungrad Hospital and hardly leave the room.

On the 22nd of June I had a lot of pain in discomfort just below my navel and extending to both sides, didn’t think to much about it but the next day it was picking up intensity so I mentioned it to the wife (Penny Farthing on TV). She wanted me to rush over to the hospital and have it checked out right away. I said no they will make me sit around and wait and I don’t feel good enough to go to the hospital. That was on the 23rd.

The next day the pain eased up quite a bit and thought it would be OK in a couple of days, that was on the 24th. Found out how wrong I was the next day when the pain grew in intensity and was pretty much constant. So we arranged a car and driver to take us into Bumrungrad on the 25th, It was a very long two hour car ride that hit every pothole between Cha Am and Bangkok.

When we got to the emergency room they put me in a wheelchair and ran me into X-ray for a half dozen shots then a blood test and then in for ultra sound. When we went into ultra sound I ask them how long it would take and she said about 15 minutes, after 15 minutes she went and go someone else and they came in to have a look, a total of 5 people ended up looking at it in a bit over 1 hour. My ultrasound was the most popular show on the floor. The Dr. said he wanted to do a CT but the liquid you have to drink for it is hard on the kidney and according to the blood test mine were not doing real well. So they canceled the CT.

Said I had a burst appendix and needed to operate as soon as possible. He said because of the asprin I had been taking over a long period of time he felt there was a good chance of bleeding and he wanted to transfuse me with platelets. Because of this and the fact he couldn’t get his team in until morning, so I was scheduled for five the next morning.

The next morning I went to the operating room and the last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist asking me if I was tired. The Dr. said he had to make a fairly big incision to clear out all the infection, then the stitches are fair apart to allow it to drain. They had a drain in it for the first few days. Plus a catheter to drain away the urine and a IV with four or five bottles on it and a oxygen tube up my nose.

Three nurses came in to insert the catheter. Most of the nurses are young and pretty and speak reasonable English. Must say that there was no pain involved when they did it and no one giggled or laughed so I didn’t really care. But then the pain in the incision pretty much distracted from anything else. If someone is hitting you on the head with a hammer you don’t much notice if they are standing on your foot.

They left the catheter in for two days and then told me to get up and move around to help the healing. Dragging the IV and drain from the wound a major pain in the ass but the moving did seem to help reduce the pain. After about three of four days they disconnected everything and it was much easier and more enjoyable to move then.

During the time I was there, there were from 3 – 5 doctors stop by every day and see how things were going and make various checks. They all knew their stuff and the surgeon seemed exceptionally good.

When I checked in we were told the normal appendix operation cost between 100,000 and 135,000 Baht. That was with a stay of 2 or 3 days. Since mine burst the time frame and the cost both jumped up by a bunch, 310,000 baht and 10 days.

Once you hit your use by date insurance is either not available or not realistically priced. So since I am 76 now and we moved here four years ago we have no medical insurance and cover it ourselves. But if you spread that over 4 years it is not that big a deal and the nice thing is it won’t happen again.

I do understand that at age 74 western medical insurance is difficult for you to get, so I am not bashing you for not having it one little bit. But, I know many people here with out decent medical insurance, and those same people could not pay 300,000k. The Bum wont treat you if you don't have cash, yes they want a deposit as well. Just food for thought. If this was I, a Bangkok hospital would be dispatching a medi-vac BK117 chopper to pick me up. My insurance company has never made an issue for claims and some of my friends have had bizar accidents where they never blinked. (They were not dodgy claims, but I am sure there were some giggles in the claims office reading what happened !) Thai insurance is very limited. A good place as anywhere is TV insurance I would think. The of the company I have had good dealings with is William Russel based in the UK, that cover farlang in Thailand permanently, I think Thai Visa Insurance sells it.

If you can't afford it, well you can't afford living here in my opinion.

Bumrungrad is probably a decent hospital but there is no way I would want to use them, or Samitivej or one of the other so called top hospitals. Price is double that of a less famous and less luxurious hospital like Latprao hospital and service is still as good or better than what I would have gotten in the country I came from in northern Europe, despite paying 50% tax there.

I have also had a ruptured appendix in the past, not in Thailand, and did not require a catheter or oxygen and none of my friends who have had the same op have either. Am I being cynical by suggesting these were a way to bump up the cost?

Yes I am sure they could have let me out of the hospital a bit sooner, or they could have pushed me out the door in a couple of days like one of the other post suggest.

I had the oxygen as my levels were quite low and the catheter was because I was unable to empty my bladder for 36 hours. I felt that both of those procedures was necessary for me. I realize that each person is different and someone else may recover much quicker and with less medical procedures than I had.

But i would like to say that if something similar were to happen again my first choice would be Bumrungrad. In fact in my experience with hospitals (which is limited) I would choose Bumrungrad over any I am aware of. They may do to much for you, which cost money. But I felt at the time as I do now, they were doing what was best for me at the time. Even at their prices I feel they would still be cheaper than the US or Australia.

As I mentioned I'm self insured and prepared to pick up the tab without a change in lifestyle. I'm sure it could have been done at much less expensive hospitals, but I can afford the comfort and pampering so why not. My health is not something I'm willing to accept second best for. I didn't come to Thailand to see how cheap I could live, we came here because we like Thailand.

So as far as Bumrungrad goes I think their care, service and quality of doctors is excellent. If I have another problem that is where I choose to go. The food is the only downside, but then hospitals are famous for crappy food.

Thanks for the comments and the concern. Each day is better than the last, so should be up and running in no time, Well OK maybe not running. I'd settle for not shuffling right now.

BT

As you are on your 70's, the post-op care for you and a 40's year old man are obviosly different. You need oxygen, catheter and longer time to get recover.

They took great care of you and you are happy with it that is the main issue.

Wishing you a quick recovery and good to hear you are happy with the Bum.

I have also had a ruptured appendix in the past, not in Thailand, and did not require a catheter or oxygen and none of my friends who have had the same op have either. Am I being cynical by suggesting these were a way to bump up the cost?

If the appendix has not ruptured, it is an easy fix. After rupture, one can die. I would say he was treated appropriately to save his life. It would depend how serious the infection is and the spread of the infection internally.

If the appendix has not ruptured, it is an easy fix. After rupture, one can die. I would say he was treated appropriately to save his life. It would depend how serious the infection is and the spread of the infection internally.

The surgeon provided me a photo of the appendix as he removed it. It is a ugly piece of work and one end had turned black. He said that was from the infection and would have turned to gangrene in the near future. Clearing out the infection was no easy task, and I recommend that if you experience similar pain don't dilly dally like I did before going to the hospital. The wait caused considerable more risk, more pain. more time to heal and considerable more expense.

Hopefully this information will prevent someone from waiting to react to the pain.

There are always those who do it better,cheaper, and all night long.

Glad to hear you are doing well and back up on your feet. I have been to Bum. for a couple of things and always good service and treatment.

FYI, Bangkok Hospital has a range of discount packages available until 31 July 2010, including an "Appendectomy Open" package for B50,000.

see: http://www.bangkokhospital.com/index.php?p=newsDetail&NewsID=434〈=EN&utm_source=Mediacom&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=Thai2_July10 for a complete list of packages.

post-33251-043496400 1278659169_thumb.gi

I really doubt you have many friends who had ruptured appendix and peritonitis as this poster did. Friends who had appendectomies, yes, but that is entirely different.

If you read the thread carefully you will see that this was a man in his 70's with underlying chronic health problems, impaired kidney function, bleeding abnormalities and whose appendix ruptured days before he got treatment, leading to peritonitis and serious respiratory problems. He could have died. In no way can this or the cost of its treatment be compared to a normal appendix removal.

I have serious doubts about how well your average private hospital would have managed a problem this critical and complex. only the major tertiary govt hospis (Siriraj, chula etc) and the big international hosps are, in my experience, up to it.

From what is described, possibly 5-10,00 could have been saved from earlier discharge but it would still be a hefty price tag. And I imagine that the fact that he lives so far away -- and that he has a history of not being prompt in seeking medical care, (no offense OP!) -- was an influencing factor. Knowing that he would be going all the way back to Cha Am, the surgeon would have preferred to have the wound fully healed before discharge.

The moral to this story is quite simply, do not delay seeking medical care for acute abdominal pain. The cost difference will be about 10 fold if not your life.

Well u just talked me into taking out yearly health insurance now... Plus the fact that I had a motorbike accident that broke my jaw. I got rushed to a government hospital that was very bad, yet very cheap. I went back to my homeland the following week to ensure they did the correct thing for a broken jaw. The Aussie doctor needed to remove the thing they gave me to hold my jaw in place. I needed to have it put back correctly in place and have it correctly held in place for the next few weeks. Yet after 10 years overseas off and on now I think it is time to take my health a little more seriously. As opposed to thinking I am immortal when have a couple of beers in me.

I never had health insurance as felt not needed at 33yo. Plus no insurance seems to cover motorbiking, rock climbing or diving. Basically all the fun stuff- well not all the fun stuff- Lol.

Does anyone have insurance that covers all the fun stuff....

Many said at least the motorbike crash shut me up for awhile.

Mine burst last year. I first went to a clinic who diagnosed it as indigestion. The next day still no improvement and I went to the hospital. X rays still left the doctors wondering but the pain was increasing and I was yelling louder so they operated. The doctor told me it had burst a couple of hours before they operated.

I was in the hospital for 10 days until the infection cleared up. They seemed to be waiting for the drainage in the incision to stop as well as blood tests to determine the extent of the infection.

Mine burst last year. I first went to a clinic who diagnosed it as indigestion. The next day still no improvement and I went to the hospital. X rays still left the doctors wondering but the pain was increasing and I was yelling louder so they operated. The doctor told me it had burst a couple of hours before they operated.

I was in the hospital for 10 days until the infection cleared up. They seemed to be waiting for the drainage in the incision to stop as well as blood tests to determine the extent of the infection.

How much did you pay- surely not 310,000bt... That seems like a taking advantage of pricing policy- not just Thailand happens in our own homelands just as much- moreso. Yet Thailand is known for good service and a great price. Thus all the women and guys whom come for breasts, nose, etc at a fraction of the price in out homelands.

There are always those who do it better,cheaper, and all night long.

Glad to hear you are doing well and back up on your feet. I have been to Bum. for a couple of things and always good service and treatment.

I use Bum and luckily haven't been in need of surgery.They do cost a little more and I think that is really what a lot complain about.If I am really sick I don't want to pinch pennies,my insurance doesn't question the cost,so why should I?I think they are the best in S/E Asia and am glad that I can get there in minutes. :o :o :o :o :o Twenty years ago I spent a week in a US hospital,no surgery(blood clot).Cost my insurance $12,000.00.Yes,any hospital wants to get paid for service,don't you?

Bumrungrad found out I had a fracture in my lower neck and multiple hairline fractures in my lower spine when Bangkok Pattaya and Pattaya International just called it back pain due to my underlying Arthritis. I know what my base line pain level is and the first two hospitals just didnt listen to me or wish to investigate. Also I was admitted to Bumrungrad with zero deposit, they picked me up in Pattaya by ambulance, admitted, X-Rays, MRI scan, 1 night and 2 CT Scans before they came calling for first payments. The amount of scans was not overkill, due to my spinal deformaties and low bone density it was a pretty hard job to detect...but they kept listening to me that I was certain it wasnt just a "bad back"!

About 2 weeks stay cost 400,000..I did stay in an expensive room however and had a major amount of scans, + some very expensive Arthritis medication. I have to self insure also even tho im only 31.

Well u just talked me into taking out yearly health insurance now... Plus the fact that I had a motorbike accident that broke my jaw. I got rushed to a government hospital that was very bad, yet very cheap. I went back to my homeland the following week to ensure they did the correct thing for a broken jaw. The Aussie doctor needed to remove the thing they gave me to hold my jaw in place. I needed to have it put back correctly in place and have it correctly held in place for the next few weeks. Yet after 10 years overseas off and on now I think it is time to take my health a little more seriously. As opposed to thinking I am immortal when have a couple of beers in me.

I never had health insurance as felt not needed at 33yo. Plus no insurance seems to cover motorbiking, rock climbing or diving. Basically all the fun stuff- well not all the fun stuff- Lol.

Does anyone have insurance that covers all the fun stuff....

Many said at least the motorbike crash shut me up for awhile.

Yes is the answer, very straight forward - please contact Thai Visa Insurace as you are a TV member and ask for quotes

This thread highlights the importance of having the correct up to date health insurance, a lot of people who are living or tourists in Thailand have no insurance but when they least expect it something can go wrong and unless your in a secure financial position to pay for your own hospital costs, you could end up in sh*t creek without a paddle.

I have a freind in Pattaya at the moment who has been in intensive care and other hospital treatment after suffering a heart attack a week ago, He's in Bangkok Hospital Sukumivit Road and I've managed to speak to him most days but one thing I can tell you, is how happy he is that he had up to date insurance from the UK, he's being discharged soon but cannot fly back to the UK for around 2 weeks until doctors say it's safe for him to fly, his insurance has covered all his hospital treatment costs and the insurance company are now in the process of putting him up in a hotel in Pattaya and paying for that and any care he may need whilst he remains in Thailand until he can return to the UK, the insurance are in contact with him and have even mentioned that they may send someone to Thailand to accompany him back to the UK when he is well enough to travel.

Think long and hard guys if your in Thailand without insurance, you never know what's around the corner.

OP, Hope your feeling better and on the mend or mended, take care.

Edited by MB1

I really doubt you have many friends who had ruptured appendix and peritonitis as this poster did. Friends who had appendectomies, yes, but that is entirely different.

If you read the thread carefully you will see that this was a man in his 70's with underlying chronic health problems, impaired kidney function, bleeding abnormalities and whose appendix ruptured days before he got treatment, leading to peritonitis and serious respiratory problems. He could have died. In no way can this or the cost of its treatment be compared to a normal appendix removal.

I have serious doubts about how well your average private hospital would have managed a problem this critical and complex. only the major tertiary govt hospis (Siriraj, chula etc) and the big international hosps are, in my experience, up to it.

From what is described, possibly 5-10,00 could have been saved from earlier discharge but it would still be a hefty price tag. And I imagine that the fact that he lives so far away -- and that he has a history of not being prompt in seeking medical care, (no offense OP!) -- was an influencing factor. Knowing that he would be going all the way back to Cha Am, the surgeon would have preferred to have the wound fully healed before discharge.

The moral to this story is quite simply, do not delay seeking medical care for acute abdominal pain. The cost difference will be about 10 fold if not your life.

Sheryl

You summed it up quite nicely, Your closing sentence is spot on and hopefully people will not dilly dally as I did. No offense taken in your comment. Everything is healing quite nicely and there is still a little draining. I get around a bit easier every day and Monday they run a few more test and take out the stitches. Then everything should be back to normal.

The surgeon was upset that the blood pressure Dr. had me on two baby aspirin a day as it greatly increases the bleeding possibility during surgery. I no longer take the aspirin.

Regards

BTDT

didn't think to much about it but the next day it was picking up intensity so I mentioned it to the wife (Penny Farthing on TV). She wanted me to rush over to the hospital and have it checked out right away. I said no they will make me sit around and wait and I don't feel good enough to go to the hospital.

Dad, is that you?

By any chance did you leave some important details out of that part of the post? Like you probably argued with her and didn't listen, and that she had to force you to go. Did you learn your lesson? Don't ever disobey her instructions again. :whistling:

Anyway, it's happy ending story and a reminder for all of us to not screw around.

And for the grumblers. Had the OP died, the cost savings weren't going to help him. The cost vs. the alternative of death was a pretty good bargain.

Edited by geriatrickid

"I don’t feel good enough to go to the hospital"

BTDT I really cracked up laughing when I read that. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Also, I was admitted to Bumrungrad once. I found the treatment appropriate and affordable.

date: december 1992

venue: Florida

appendix ruptured: Friday

hospital: Monday morning

correct diagnosis: by my pakistani internist

wrong diagnosis: by two expert àssholes (i refrain from mentioning their nationality)

emergency surgery: monday midnight

hospital stay: 3 days (insisted on 4th day to go home. reason: preferred to walk around my pool instead of hospital passage)

cost: in excess of 15,000 US-Dollars (i still remember some details. surgeon 3,700 dollars, anaesthetist 1,300 dollars, head nurse 750 dollars , hospital room 700 dollars/day, plus plus plus plus² 9 pages hospital bill).

surgeon told me later: "it was a mess. took out all your intestines hosed them down, rinsed your belly and rearranged them." of course he was joking. not a joke was that my small intestine was blocked and without immediate surgery it would have been mandatory to remove the blocked part resulting in additional minimum two weeks of hospital stay.

Can anyone please advise me what the options are in Thailand for health insurance for a 67 year old male. I have high level cover in Australia but that doesn't help me here. Or Is it a matter of "get on a plane to Oz if at all possible"??

TIA

Edited by sangfroid