Suzuki Hayate 125 Fi

Thanks, Thaicbr.

Hi Garry, I just uploaded the Suzuki Hayate 125 DCP-FI parts manual to Google Docs, so if you're interested you can download it here

I don't mean to be a pain, but you wouldn't have a copy of the English version of the users/service manual would you? The one that came with the bike is in Thai and while I can read Thai, I read slowly and it would take me forever to get through it. :whistling: It would be so much more convenient if it was in English. I did a search of the net but was not able to find anything. There were quite a few others who seemed to be looking for the same manual.

Once again, thanks for the parts manual.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a quandary. For city driving, I prefer automatic with BIG underseat storage. Yamaha has decided to replace the Novou MX with something else called a Mio125MX, which is a shrimp compared to the Novou MX and after adding a rainsuit, has no more storage than the Suzuki Skyrider in its underseat storage.

Yammie's Elegance model continues, as highly regarded 135 carburetor model, comparatively expensive, however. So the only options with underseat storage of size are reduced by one, and I do not want a PCX, because the mirrors are too wide. (OPINION, not fact.) and for the present they want a lot of money for it. There are left the Hayate or the 53K,14 inch wheeled 110cc Airblade..

Meanwhile, Gary's reported that 49,500 is the price for spokes on the new fuel injected Suzuki 125cc Hayate, in BKK. He paid more for spokes and license and stuff (see above).

Because the new model is in the works but shown nowhere in Chiang Mai, a local dealer offered me a new 2010 Hayate (carburetor, NO Fi) with full warranty and 1 year basic insurance, plus plate and green book, all in. But NO fuel injection. 46 K. Also, the spokes are 3K more.

No my puzzles are two. As the new model takes 91(green) gasahol (though not the E-20), why would I not grab the carburetor model and run at 46, all in????

I should add that up here in CM, we are inevitably charged 1k or 1 1/2 K or 2K more than is shown on Motorcycle Thailand, either for shipping or because we tend to price with the basics such as registration, license, and basic for one year. That's cash and they are pretty firm. So - since I've ruled out the PCX, the Airblade, and the Elegance (I have a astoundingly powerful motorcycle for country and mountain driving) which Hayate seems best??

P.S. Looking forward to GarryP's impressions of his Hayate F1, if he can ever wrest it from his son.

Edited by CMX

Hello there CMX, the underseat storage of the Hayate is quite big but will not hold an XL sized full faced helmet. I know because I tried. :D When I went on the Honda motorcycle license course last week (details in another thread), I was actually on an Airblade. The Airblade feels a bit smaller and definitely lighter than the Hayate. From checking, it appears that the Hayate is actually heavier than the Elegance. The figures may be misleading though as the Elegance gives figures with and without a full tank of gas while the Hayate gives a figure in the brochure without saying whether that such weight is with or without a full tank.

I have only actually ridden my son's bike once, but been on the back a few times. Strangely enough, the first tank of gas was 91E10 and last weekend we refilled using straight 91. Although I know sh*t when it comes to bikes, there was a clear difference in response, feel and sound when we changed to straight 91. That is, a marked improvement, not that it was at all bad before, it wasn't. I hope you get what I am trying to say.

I have continued my search for a service manual in English but so far in vain.

I'm in a quandary. For city driving, I prefer automatic with BIG underseat storage. Yamaha has decided to replace the Novou MX with something else called a Mio125MX, which is a shrimp compared to the Novou MX and after adding a rainsuit, has no more storage than the Suzuki Skyrider in its underseat storage.

Yammie's Elegance model continues, as highly regarded 135 carburetor model, comparatively expensive, however. So the only options with underseat storage of size are reduced by one, and I do not want a PCX, because the mirrors are too wide. (OPINION, not fact.) and for the present they want a lot of money for it. There are left the Hayate or the 53K,14 inch wheeled 110cc Airblade..

Meanwhile, Gary's reported that 49,500 is the price for spokes on the new fuel injected Suzuki 125cc Hayate, in BKK. He paid more for spokes and license and stuff (see above).

Because the new model is in the works but shown nowhere in Chiang Mai, a local dealer offered me a new 2010 Hayate (carburetor, NO Fi) with full warranty and 1 year basic insurance, plus plate and green book, all in. But NO fuel injection. 46 K. Also, the spokes are 3K more.

No my puzzles are two. As the new model takes 91(green) gasahol (though not the E-20), why would I not grab the carburetor model and run at 46, all in????

I should add that up here in CM, we are inevitably charged 1k or 1 1/2 K or 2K more than is shown on Motorcycle Thailand, either for shipping or because we tend to price with the basics such as registration, license, and basic for one year. That's cash and they are pretty firm. So - since I've ruled out the PCX, the Airblade, and the Elegance (I have a astoundingly powerful motorcycle for country and mountain driving) which Hayate seems best??

P.S. Looking forward to GarryP's impressions of his Hayate F1, if he can ever wrest it from his son.

If you have a thorough look at hayate, you will find a white sticker stating date of manufactor. ALL carbed haytae are made in 2007-2009, but may appear as 2010 in reg book.

You can also have a look on tyres 4508, indicates week number 45 in 2008.

I would def pay 3.500 baht mor for an injected 2010-2011 Hayate. Probably cheaper on fuel, probably more reliable, no manual choke, and higher secondhand value. If it in addition comes with maintance free battery as most bikes do now, well done deal.

If mags come with tubeless, no doubt I d pay for this too. If mags with tubes, should still pay for mags to reduce number of flats and later maintance/repair of spokes.

If you have a thorough look at hayate, you will find a white sticker stating date of manufactor. ALL carbed haytae are made in 2007-2009, but may appear as 2010 in reg book.

You can also have a look on tyres 4508, indicates week number 45 in 2008.

I would def pay 3.500 baht mor for an injected 2010-2011 Hayate. Probably cheaper on fuel, probably more reliable, no manual choke, and higher secondhand value. If it in addition comes with maintance free battery as most bikes do now, well done deal.

If mags come with tubeless, no doubt I d pay for this too. If mags with tubes, should still pay for mags to reduce number of flats and later maintance/repair of spokes.

Kata, thanks -

Sigh. Guess that makes sense. I will say that I am convinced of the advantages, on balance, of tubeless, but might not pay 3K as insurance against spoke problems alone - it is the tires I admire. But yes, resale, fuel efficiency and probably slightly better running. Plus, a fainter carbon footprint, my greatest priority. Uhuh.

'Course, I still cannot get anybody to commit to terms and perks for the Fi, though (these are dealers with a big S above) they now admit of its existence and sales down south. Owners here, I think, have not ordered because Hayate never was a big seller - 'Zukis either, really.

On the other hand, most Elegance models have truly hideous paint jobs this year, so maybe waiting won't be so hard.

Edited by CMX

Kata, thanks -

Sigh. Guess that makes sense. I will say that I am convinced of the advantages, on balance, of tubeless, but might not pay 3K as insurance against spoke problems alone - it is the tires I admire. But yes, resale, fuel efficiency and probably slightly better running. Plus, a fainter carbon footprint, my greatest priority. Uhuh.

'Course, I still cannot get anybody to commit to terms and perks for the Fi, though (these are dealers with a big S above) they now admit of its existence and sales down south. Owners here, I think, have not ordered because Hayate never was a big seller - 'Zukis either, really.

On the other hand, most Elegance models have truly hideous paint jobs this year, so maybe waiting won't be so hard.

Honda is still the market leader, mostly due to very early introduction of 4 stroke.

Yammy is second pier, due to early reliable autos, and Mio and Fino where great design hits.

Suzuki is on par or above on quality, spec, performance and design, but hasnt made a name in LOS. Pricing of Hayate Fi mags is very attractive

My GF Airblade FI has 2 advantages over Yammy Nouvo E 135 only, fuelcap position and easy start/smooth run Fi. Except for those 2, not on par on any other point

So is Hyate Fi on par with Elegance or better?

GarryP or anyone,

I understand that the new Suzuki Fi Hayate under seat storage does NOT accommodate a full face helmet. I wonder how it compares to the previous Hayate - that is, has storage space been lost (if you happened to notice)?

I ask, because every other model of which I know lost space when they added injection, I think that I recall.

RichardBKK remarked upon the comparison of the Hayate Fi and the Elegance 135 once and suggested that the Fi Hayate had some advantages. But the acid test would be to loan Jack a new Hayate Fi and after a week ask him his conclusions, if he'd give back the Hayate.

Edited by CMX

No idea how it compares to the earlier model Hayate (carburettor version). To me the storage space seems very big but it just falls short of holding an XL full faced helmet. A pity really but then my son and I have big heads. :lol:

Talking of helmets, my son has a really weird shaped head and so far all the helmets he has tried on look ridiculous. Even half models sit on top of his head. I am hoping that when we manage to check out some xxl models he will look more human.

No idea how it compares to the earlier model Hayate (carburettor version). To me the storage space seems very big but it just falls short of holding an XL full faced helmet. A pity really but then my son and I have big heads. :lol:

Talking of helmets, my son has a really weird shaped head and so far all the helmets he has tried on look ridiculous. Even half models sit on top of his head. I am hoping that when we manage to check out some xxl models he will look more human.

A full face L helmet fits in Elegance, but its a tight fit so I doubt an XL would fit.

I have seen here in Chiang Mai new models of the Hayate 125, one carb and one Fi, both new and side by side. The storage appears identical, a bit less deep than my Nouvo MX. The external structures of the two Suzuki's are the same for seating and feet as well. I have to agree that the Fi makes much more sense.

For the prices, with spokes, are given as 46K vs 49K. However, I have been told that alloy wheels do NOT come with tubeless tires and that one has to search out those tires, perhaps via internet. Manufacturers who make this decision puzzle me, but then I come from a nation where appearances of vehicles and their features are frequently more important than substance (see spelling of tyres, above). If you see my bike in classifieds, I'll be making the switch for the shopping bike.

Edited by CMX

I have seen here in Chiang Mai new models of the Hayate 125, one carb and one Fi, both new and side by side. The storage appears identical, a bit less deep than my Nouvo MX. The external structures of the two Suzuki's are the same for seating and feet as well. I have to agree that the Fi makes much more sense.

For the prices, with spokes, are given as 46K vs 49K. However, I have been told that alloy wheels do NOT come with tubeless tires and that one has to search out those tires, perhaps via internet. Manufacturers who make this decision puzzle me, but then I come from a nation where appearances of vehicles and their features are frequently more important than substance (see spelling of tyres, above). If you see my bike in classifieds, I'll be making the switch for the shopping bike.

If a mag rim is designed for tubes, tubeless valves usually dont fit without leaking

• 4 weeks later...

I still haven't been able to locate an English langauge version of the users/service manual. Can anyone help?

My son says that he thinks the bike is restricted as he says once it got to 80 km/h it would not go any faster. He isn't too concerned about that though because he said at 80 he was getting front wheel wobble or is that forks vibration (I don't know the correct term). Does anyone know if the ECU really does restrict the bike to 80km/h?

I still haven't been able to locate an English langauge version of the users/service manual. Can anyone help?

My son says that he thinks the bike is restricted as he says once it got to 80 km/h it would not go any faster. He isn't too concerned about that though because he said at 80 he was getting front wheel wobble or is that forks vibration (I don't know the correct term). Does anyone know if the ECU really does restrict the bike to 80km/h?

Nope the Suzuki Hayate 125i has no speed limitations build-in, surely not at 80km/h. It's theoretically possible that the DCP-FI unit doesn't create enough fuel pressure. Did your son ever see the F/I light go one while riding?

The vibration in the front wheel is nothing serious, but you should let the dealer look at it. Sometimes new motorcycles loss the tiny balancing weights attached to the wheel... Riding to long with an unbalanced wheel can damage the wheel bearings.

For the English manual I will call directly and will probably tell you tomorrow how about it...

RichardBKK

If you get a response about the manual, please post it here rather than by pm. I imagine that you would not do otherwise, but I'm interested too. Happily, I have two 'Zuki dealers that do reliable work and can deal with English (but have not yet bought, given a few questions such as these).

Nope the Suzuki Hayate 125i has no speed limitations build-in, surely not at 80km/h. It's theoretically possible that the DCP-FI unit doesn't create enough fuel pressure. Did your son ever see the F/I light go one while riding?

The vibration in the front wheel is nothing serious, but you should let the dealer look at it. Sometimes new motorcycles loss the tiny balancing weights attached to the wheel... Riding to long with an unbalanced wheel can damage the wheel bearings.

For the English manual I will call directly and will probably tell you tomorrow how about it...

I just interrogated my son, I used bamboo splints under his nails to get the information. You know how it is with kids, don't tell you the full story at the beginning. Well, the F/I light has never come on while riding or at least he has never seen it. The road on which he got up to 80km/h had quite a bit of traffic on it so he is suddenly not certain that it is restricted after all. He says he will try on an open road soon, to which I told him he won't if I have anything to do with it. As to the vibration, he says it may have been the road but I don't buy that. I know the road he is talking about and last time I was on it it was in very good condition. Anyway, he still has 500kms to put on the clock before it comes up for its first service. He only uses the bike to go to Ram and back home 5 days a week so it is taking its time to get the distance on the clock. He is slowly building his confidence up and is using mainly short cuts through the sois at the moment. In a few weeks he should be up to using the main roads more.

I have not ridden the bike since I picked up my bike license. However, I have noticed that it is quite heavy although very solidly built. With my son driving and me on the back we do bottom out on the rear shock absorbers when going over narrow sleeping policemen (speed bumps). So we need to up grade the shock absorbers down the road. I weigh 76 kg and my son does not weigh any less than me so it is a fair weight on the back of it. Luckily for the bike this is not a common occurrence.

So far I have only noticed one other 2010 Hayate on the roads of Bangkok, which is a shame because it seems a much better build than a lot of the other autos currently available. I really do wish Suzuki well as they are sorely under sold in Thailand. Whenever I ask old timers about trail/enduro bikes they invariably mention Suzuki first.

I was informed today by a dealer in Chiang Mai that they cannot order the 2010 Hayate Fi because Suzuki has ended model year deliveries (at least in small numbers up here, I'm thinking). Last one in stock was sold last week. In January, I can purchase one for 50,000K - 1,000 less for cash, same as before. Includes basic ins. and green book. Alloy wheels an additional 2K, but they come with tubed tires, so tubeless (probably IRC) come to another 2K = 4K the set.

I'll know more about it of course in some months' time. This year, they offered only two color schemes, next year might be??? Dunno.

Doubtless this all is due to Suzuki's need for time in order to create an English language owner's manual.:whistling:

Edited by CMX

And really sort out their distribution network. It is my understanding that many of the current distributors will be/have been terminated. If they really do get their finger out and it looks like they will, things should improve considerably including after sales service.

It has got me a little worried though. I bought my son's bike at the distributor directly across the road from the soi where I live so it is really convenient. If this shop has its distributorship terminated, I am not sure where I will have to go for servicing, etc. Typical. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Yes, up here in Chiang Mai, finding or even ordering the Fi Hayate has been a chore. None were shown in town by October; one showed up and was sold, and I was told then no more until next year.

But I could order one in December for January (as above). So I went over to the dealer and he suggested coming back on the 8th, when he would have a catalog for deciding the color. (New models were not posted by Suzuki on their Thai web site for some reason.) Wednesday I went and he pulled out last year's catalog. Also said the price had gone up to 52K with spokes, and 56,900 if I wanted alloys with tubeless. Meanwhile, Yamaha in town had a new bike with last year's paint (better) for 3,000 baht off.

But instead I picked up a one-owner second hand Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. Its a safer investment anyway, for the short term. Suzuki, I tried, but you didn't want me.

Edited by CMX

I thought they had started trying, what with sponsoring the Suzuki Cup. But perhaps Suzuki thought is best to lay low for a while because they didn't want their bikes associated with the Thai national team's abysmal performance. :D

When I went to the local bike shop last weekend to check out what Lifan models they could supply, they had two Hayate's on show - with spokes and with mags.

A week or so ago, my son asked me to check his bike out as he kept hearing a tapping noise in the front fairing when he got up some speed. Within 1 minute of getting on the bike I had the problem fixed. He had a bottle of water in the cubbyhole at the front and the bottle cap rattled against the fairing when the road got a bit bumpy. Man what a dipstick. He was sure it was something major. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Any word on the service manual? From time to time I do net searches but it still does not seem to be available in English yet.

My son went to their service center in Haumark the other day and was well impressed. He was asked to sit down and explain what the issue was and then three mechanics then proceeded to work on his bike. It was a minor problem with the front panel which was sorted at no cost.

He was told, however, that if he ever needed replacement parts for his Hayate, it would be best to visit their Ladkrabang center as all the parts are stored there. That is, if a particular part was not in stock at Huamark, they themselves would order the part from Ladkrabang. So best just go to Ladkrabang to begin with. It is not much further than Huamark from where we live.

The funny thing is that in the Suzuki website the Ladkrabang center is not mentioned on the home page and only pops up in passing in a member's post in the message board.

Finally, he was told that the good thing about Suzuki was that there were no counterfeit parts on the market. The market for Suzuki wasn't big enough to make it worthwhile. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well, here in Chiang Mai, one can order a Hayate 125 Fi at last. However, the dealer who carried a number of brands but specialized in Suzuki's too - and has a wonderful service shop - does not sell them any more. I never got the story, but this may be a result of the company's reorganization, one way or another.

However, the "official" Suzuki people were aware of the model, and in spite of my ineptitude in Thai, they let me order one. I don't believe that they've shown one since well before the injected model was produced. They have pamphlets for them too, with nothing surprising about the model, as it is the same as last year's model, except the paint. Two choices only now for colors, and alloy wheels optional for either one. Prices, as always up here, are a little higher than those posted on that price list we all know about; I'll post final prices when I am certain.

Delivery time is one month and I should be ready to wait 45 days for plates and green book. To confirm the order, workers were on the phone, one of them laughing pleasantly, explaining that a falang was ordering. ("Who is buying one of those up there - some sort of nut?") Of course, I'm hoping for a well built thing with spacious storage and zip, cheaper than the new Elegance, the price of which is higher here this year.

On its national web site, Suzuki only shows 2010 models and no accessories at all, just as they reported last year. "Coming soon," it says. Right. Like a manual in English.

Since I've been riding a recent Elegance for 3 months (much better mileage than my MX, and gasahol 91 as well), I'll have a basis for comparison. Also, a single experience to report on the "new" Zuki distributing system. March 19, unless they use the short Feb. as an extension excuse.

Edited by CMX

Well, here in Chiang Mai, one can order a Hayate 125 Fi at last. However, the dealer who carried a number of brands but specialized in Suzuki's too - and has a wonderful service shop - does not sell them any more. I never got the story, but this may be a result of the company's reorganization, one way or another.

However, the "official" Suzuki people were aware of the model, and in spite of my ineptitude in Thai, they let me order one. I don't believe that they've shown one since well before the injected model was produced. They have pamphlets for them too, with nothing surprising about the model, as it is the same as last year's model, except the paint. Two choices only now for colors, and alloy wheels optional for either one. Prices, as always up here, are a little higher than those posted on that price list we all know about; I'll post final prices when I am certain.

Delivery time is one month and I should be ready to wait 45 days for plates and green book. To confirm the order, workers were on the phone, one of them laughing pleasantly, explaining that a falang was ordering. ("Who is buying one of those up there - some sort of nut?") Of course, I'm hoping for a well built thing with spacious storage and zip, cheaper than the new Elegance, the price of which is higher here this year.

On its national web site, Suzuki only shows 2010 models and no accessories at all, just as they reported last year. "Coming soon," it says. Right. Like a manual in English.

Since I've been riding a recent Elegance for 3 months (much better mileage than my MX, and gasahol 91 as well), I'll have a basis for comparison. Also, a single experience to report on the "new" Zuki distributing system. March 19, unless they use the short Feb. as an extension excuse.

Congratulations. TV will soon have a Hayate fan club of two. :D I really am positive that I did not make a mistake in opting for the Hayate for my son. His only complaint remains unchanged. Its too heavy he says. Personally, I like the very solid feel. Most of my experience is as a pillion rider but with over 20 years riding on the back on a daily basis, I have been on just about every brand and model there is available and used by motorcycle taxis. The Hayate just feels so much more there, if you get what I mean.

• 1 month later...

CMX, have you received the Hayate yet?

Richard, any word on the English language service manual yet?

Suzuki have not called me about it, but it's due in theory about now. Suspect I'll be over there in a day or two. Did confirm, in case I did not mention it, that Suzuki don't have bolt-on topcase mounts, as is the case with the Elegance. Four bolts out for the sissy bar, four in for the frame, and the box is removable too.. But gotta get the bike first.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine for 500kms, but am withholding a report until I feel right about testing its torque and hp - after 1000 kms. It is interesting so far comparing it to the Elegance that I sold last month. Basically, the Hayate seems to do everything that that Yamaha does, but it has a different feel in a number of ways. Details to follow, including a careful mileage report.

Hello, Forethat -

But I do, meanwhile, have a couple of questions:

What is your top speed?

If you have checked your kms/l (or liters per 100 kms), how is your fuel burn?

Does your bike have a peculiar sound/feel at lower rpm's, compared to other scooter-types?

Did anyone who knows inform you if the alloy wheels can accept tubeless tires?

Finally, does your speedometer (if you've tested it against something else such as a gps) lie through its teeth?

I've had mine for 500kms, but am withholding a report until I feel right about testing its torque and hp - after 1000 kms. It is interesting so far comparing it to the Elegance that I sold last month. Basically, the Hayate seems to do everything that that Yamaha does, but it has a different feel in a number of ways. Details to follow, including a careful mileage report.

Hello, Forethat -

But I do, meanwhile, have a couple of questions:

What is your top speed?

If you have checked your kms/l (or liters per 100 kms), how is your fuel burn?

Does your bike have a peculiar sound/feel at lower rpm's, compared to other scooter-types?

Did anyone who knows inform you if the alloy wheels can accept tubeless tires?

Finally, does your speedometer (if you've tested it against something else such as a gps) lie through its teeth?

Top Speed? No clue, I haven't been near the top speed. I could try though. Give me a day and I'll see if I can test somewhere.

Fuel burn? Less than both my cars, that's for sure... It's 170 baht to fill her up and I've never worried about fuel. I will test this next tank.

Peculiar sound?Not at low rpm:s, but at very low speed I get the feeling the motor is reving to much and creates a strange vibration or similar, noticed this the first day. Annoying as he**. Never had a different scooter though.

Tubeless tires? No clue about this. I do have the alloy wheels though.

Speedometer? I have no clue. I dont even know what is supposed to be the top speed. The speedometer is marked up to 160 km/h, but that seems nothing but ridiculous on a scooter...

Edited by Forethat

I don't know about top speed, but my son claims it sounds and feels quite a bit different to other scooters at lower speeds and I tend to agree. Not bad though, just different. Difficult to describe but more "buzzy" perhaps. He has only been using straight 91 benzine in it and he has not tried E10 or E20, whether 91 or 95, yet. So we don't know if there would be a difference if he changed over to 95.

Still waiting for the English language service manual.

I asked that question about sounds because the Hayate is unique in my experience of small bikes here. So I guess there's something to it. I notice it at low speeds, but really under acceleration. I first thought it blatty, but pre-adolescent blatty. A friend riding another (rental) calls it tinny. But for him, I might have troubled the dealer, it sounded that much different.

My answers to the other questions (above) I'll report after Songkran, because I'm driving defensively in the car for a week and not going to test a new bike among all those cheery celebrants of Chiang Mai - or thousands on the highways, for that matter. I will say that mileage has run around 41km/l so far, but I expect a little improvement. This has been in mixed city/suburban driving and depends on the accuracy of the odometer, which I have not checked.

Edited by CMX