The Origin Of Thailand’S Dual Pricing

PaulUSA302

I for one am no fan of Thailand’s dual pricing for foreigners and non-Thai alike. It is not a consistent policy in the kingdom as many places have one standard price for both Thai and Non-Thai patrons.

I speculate that dual pricing came about due to visitors to Thailand throwing their money around to a degree that many realized that foreigners didn’t seem to care if they paid a higher price for goods and services that was 2, 3, 4 and 5 times higher (or more) than what the average Thai would pay.

When I was last in Thailand visitors and vacationers were so happy while on holiday they were more than willing to tip waiters, 7-11 workers and Duncan Donuts staff equal to or higher than their daily wages without a second thought. With money being thrown around such as that any person in business would want to raise their prices as their customers were giving them more than the asking price, but the locals could not pay the higher price. One way to solve the problem would be to have 2 prices. One price for tourist with lots of cash and a shadow (lower) price for locals.

Do you think I could be onto something?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One day, some unknown person leaned forward to pick up a few coins they had dropped on the floor, they then grabbed their ankles and decided they actually liked this new found 'position.' Some merchant thought, wow, what an easy, stationary mark.

Other merchants, other customers, newcomers, etc. followed his/her example, just like any other trend.

:)

One day, some unknown person leaned forward to pick up a few coins they had dropped on the floor, they then grabbed their ankles and decided they actually liked this new found 'position.' Some merchant thought, wow, what an easy, stationary mark.

Other merchants, other customers, newcomers, etc. followed his/her example, just like any other trend.

The dual pricing system in Thailand is the same as anywhere else in the World,and can be summed up in one word:...... Opertunism!

I can live with that :)

I cant believe that people make a big deal about dual pricing. Look at the GDP per person in a western country and then look at the GDP per of Thailand. Don't you think it is fair to charge the rich person more then the poor person ? Even though the Thai's don't realize that allot of western people are really just debt poor, that was not the way it used to be.

As the BHT appreciates(standard of living for Thai's goes up) then dual pricing will be phased out slowly.

there is an old colonial song about dual pricing!! even if in the beginning it was only between British and US soldiers and sailors, the first verse starts so,

We dont like you british soldiers,

Yankee sailor come ashore,

Yankee only fxxx for short time,

Tommies fxxx for ever more.

Tommie only give you 10bucks,

Yankee pay you what you want,

Yankee believe you always when you say you want meet,

Tommy say I know your sister ,5 dollar fuxx on Bugis treet!! :jap:

Have none of you ever been to Angkor Wat? When I went a few years ago, it was free to Cambodians, US$60 a week for foreigners. The same in Sri Lanka... Sigiriya Rs.75 for foreigners, Re. 1 for locals (this was many, many years ago).

Where Thailand gets it wrong is to charge the inflated fees for entry to very minor attractions (e.g. waterfalls). I don't think any tourist minds paying to see the really important/spectacular sites; what they hate is to pay for seeing a trickle of water falling a few feet. The problem is, Thailand has very few major attractions.

One exception should be the big forest reserves, like Khao Yai and Doi Inthanon. For these, it is necessary to charge high prices to reduce the number of visitors, or else the forests will be ruined for ever.

Dual pricing stinks, and I do not cater to it, where ever it is imposed. I will not give them (Thais) the satisfaction of being rip off's to the life blood of their country's economy.

As far as origins of this, it more then likely came about during the Vietnam war R&R times for soldiers spending money freely in Thailand, in Pattaya.

haha, what if you where running some business in the west and some aliens from space came for a visit and you knew they made about ten times as much money as you. ?

would you charge them more ? with your attitude I bet you would charge them allot more

Dual pricing stinks, and I do not cater to it, where ever it is imposed. I will not give them (Thais) the satisfaction of being rip off's to the life blood of their country's economy.

As far as origins of this, it more then likely came about during the Vietnam war R&R times for soldiers spending money freely in Thailand, in Pattaya.

I used the year 2000 because that was when the trend peaked out. BTW, 2 years earlier this was the exchange rate 1998-01-02 January 02, Friday 48.3 THB

# 91 Thailand: $1,997.54 per capita 2000 clock-icon.gif

# 4 United States: $34,599.47 per capita 2000 clock-icon.gif

I detest dual pricing. The first time I noticed it here was in 1974 when noodle sellers in Bangkok got together and decided t charge 3 baht for falangs instead of 2.50 baht. The noodle seller I frequented then was quite apologetic but said he had to because they had decided it. He justified it by saying that many falangs filled their bowl up with the peanuts. In those days I got charged 3b and my gfs noodles were 2.50b even if she went and bought them.

Edited by harrry

Here we go again. I'm just waiting for the first schmuck to come out with the "Thai's are racist" accusations, nevermind that other Asians are also charged the foreigner price. For the record, most high tourist areas in the west also practice dual pricing, charging locals less for the same product. Nothing new here.

As for the origins, it's basic economics. How much should you sell your product for? ANS: The most that the customer is willing to pay, of course.

For the record, most high tourist areas in the west also practice dual pricing, charging locals less for the same product. Nothing new here.

I am a local, so is my wife and daughter, we always get charged the local price, I have to ask for the local price though, because my skin is white.

I think judging people by the colour of their skin fits the definition of 'Racist'.

My friend of Cambodian origin (brought up in America, only speaks English, here as a tourist) doesn't get asked to pay more, because his skin is the right colour.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I cant believe that people make a big deal about dual pricing. Look at the GDP per person in a western country and then look at the GDP per of Thailand. Don't you think it is fair to charge the rich person more then the poor person ?

It's got nothing to do with the GDP of your country of origin. It's totally racist, and prevalent in many Asian countries.

Do you think it's fair that the rich amatya get into the waterfall for 20 baht, when I, without any of their financial resources, am charged 200?

You and I are not our originating country's GDP. We have individual incomes and resources, as Thais do.

So perhaps charges for the parks and museums should be based on some kind of income statement?

Or maybe be truly fair and charge the same for everyone!

Here we go again. I'm just waiting for the first schmuck to come out with the "Thai's are racist" accusations

Many of the company with dual pricing are foreign owned and managed.

Such as Ocean World for example.

Owned and managed by an Australia company.

Here we go again. I'm just waiting for the first schmuck to come out with the "Thai's are racist" accusations, nevermind that other Asians are also charged the foreigner price. For the record, most high tourist areas in the west also practice dual pricing, charging locals less for the same product. Nothing new here.

As for the origins, it's basic economics. How much should you sell your product for? ANS: The most that the customer is willing to pay, of course.

Whenever these double pricing posts run, someone always raises their hand and says something like... "Dual pricing is also practiced in the west." That is correct, but somewhat a misleading statement. Dual pricing is practiced in the west and usually the local price is the price for residents of the area. People from outside the area are charged more. I know this goes on in Hawaii, Las Vegas, the San Francisco Zoo and other areas.

Compare that with Thailand's you are not Thai and should pay more attitude that can run from the noodle stall on the street, a restaurant having 2 menus with 2 sets of prices to the national parks and you have a completely different animal.

Of course there are stories of people getting the Thai price by showing their work permit or driver's license and there are also stories of those forms of identification being rejected for the local price.

TheWalkingMan

Yes, here we go again, indeed. Despite the fact that chapter and verse has been quoted in the past, here is another poster totally ignorant of EU law on the internal market. Try this in the original Berkshire and see what happens.

For Thai public attractions I don't mind the dual pricing, since I am not a resident or taxpayer

What really frosts my b.... is private companies that feel they have the right to discriminate (yes, discriminate )

One poster already mentioned Ocean World in Pattaya, another that readily comes to mind is Mini Siam both of which I refuse to patronize

I think it all started many years ago, when compared to the Thais, foreigners were rich because Thailand really was a poor third world country.

But I don`t think this applies today, things have equaled out a bit and this practice should now stop.

Foreigners have caught on and avoiding these places. In the end the duel pricing businesses are losing out anyway.

Probably the best approach for one's 'peace of mind.' Convince yourselves that they are putting themselves out of business (whether true or not) and go about your day.

That is how i do it, i still hate the practice and will not go there if i can avoid it. For me its Bung sam ran where a thai pays 400bt to fish and a foreigner 1000. I got in 1 time for Thai price because i spoke Thai and showed my drivers license but it not a sure thing depends on the girl behind the till.

So i do most of my fishing in an other place that does not use this practice and that is a bit more quiet.

When I even think of dual pricing I get a major eye twitch and my knees wobble from internal rage. I spit a lot when I try to vocalize my outrage. I can barely type this message my hands are shaking.

Especially when I see Luk-kreung kids getting the Thai-Thai price. They should be charged according to the percentage of Thai blood in their family.

Proposed prices for mixed-race children:

Thai-White - 300% of all-Thai price

Thai-Japanese - 200 % of all-Thai price (they look more Asian)

Thai-Chinese - does not really matter since grandparents own the attraction

Others based on whims of park attendant.

Fair is fair. I just needed to get this off my chest. Thank God for this forum.

Edited by NaiGreg

Wow. Living in Thailand really doesn't suit some people. Living in a country that gets you so mad isn't advisable.

Let's put things in perspective, was passing a travel agent in Rambutree and the minibus packages were really cheap to Koh Chang, went to buy two tickets with the missus but was told that she can't come as she's Thai. No Thais allowed on, they have to go to the bus station and get the more expensive bus.

Try doing that back home. :lol:

I cant believe that people make a big deal about dual pricing. Look at the GDP per person in a western country and then look at the GDP per of Thailand. Don't you think it is fair to charge the rich person more then the poor person ?

It's got nothing to do with the GDP of your country of origin. It's totally racist, and prevalent in many Asian countries.

Do you think it's fair that the rich amatya get into the waterfall for 20 baht, when I, without any of their financial resources, am charged 200?

You and I are not our originating country's GDP. We have individual incomes and resources, as Thais do.

So perhaps charges for the parks and museums should be based on some kind of income statement?

Or maybe be truly fair and charge the same for everyone!

Yes I think it is totally fair that you got charged more. In fact it would be unfair if you didnt get charged more.

The higher price is just to even it so that you are paying an equal percentage of your disposable income as the Thai. 20 bht is less then one US dollar, which is nothing for you right ? But 200 bht is something, its around 6 US dollars. Do you think 20 Bht is nothing to a Thai ? Probably not, its probably what 6 US dollars is to you. So in that case, both people are getting charged an equal amount of disposable income,at least that is what they are trying to do.

Whenever these double pricing posts run, someone always raises their hand and says something like... "Dual pricing is also practiced in the west." That is correct, but somewhat a misleading statement. Dual pricing is practiced in the west and usually the local price is the price for residents of the area. People from outside the area are charged more. I know this goes on in Hawaii, Las Vegas, the San Francisco Zoo and other areas.

Compare that with Thailand's you are not Thai and should pay more attitude that can run from the noodle stall on the street, a restaurant having 2 menus with 2 sets of prices to the national parks and you have a completely different animal.

Of course there are stories of people getting the Thai price by showing their work permit or driver's license and there are also stories of those forms of identification being rejected for the local price.

TheWalkingMan

That is just because it is easy to classify who is local and who is not by looking at the race.

National Parks often are nothing short of thievery.<br><br>Paying anything to go on trash strewn, jet ski infested Ko Samet.<br>Paying about B400 to go into Khao Sok and if you leave and stay in near by room, pay again to re-enter<br>Phuket does not allow camping and charges same as above for daily visits.<br>Similan islands do not allow you to put your own tent - so this whole thing becomes as expensive as staying at a resort (boat, fees, tent, $food$)<br>Surin islands also very expensive - two people in a tent (own) about B250 per day (bungalow on Ko Phayam, Kradan B300). Boat B1300.<br><br>Many National parks are nice places, but not worth any more than a nominal fee. Many are really stupid priced like to get into see a waterfall or sit on some average beach in Trang park system.<br>

National Parks often are nothing short of thievery.<br><br>Paying anything to go on trash strewn, jet ski infested Ko Samet.<br>Paying about B400 to go into Khao Sok and if you leave and stay in near by room, pay again to re-enter<br>Phuket does not allow camping and charges same as above for daily visits.<br>Similan islands do not allow you to put your own tent - so this whole thing becomes as expensive as staying at a resort (boat, fees, tent, $food$)<br>Surin islands also very expensive - two people in a tent (own) about B250 per day (bungalow on Ko Phayam, Kradan B300). Boat B1300.<br><br>Many National parks are nice places, but not worth any more than a nominal fee. Many are really stupid priced like to get into see a waterfall or sit on some average beach in Trang park system.<br>

I refused to pay to go and see a waterfall the other week...i was on a long weekend break with 10 Thais...they all paid 40baht and the entrance woman wanted 200 baht from me...i spoke in Thai read the Thai sign but she still would not budge...so i said no and went to the river that was outside of the paying area and played with the fish there for free....

that is dual pricing and very annoying...

But the OP is talking rubbish...check his posting history...he cancelled last years holiday here..doesn't live here...and has only experienced holidays...so of course he will have come across tourist pricing...but he doesn't really know about dual pricing..

OP...give us some true examples that have happened to you and not from reading the internet or your imagination...i'm calling you out on this one....

Dual pricing national parks..yes...is wrong when its obvious you are not a tourist 2 week millionaire...

however, whenever i have been in a car and entering a national park i have never had a problem with the higher farang price always the Thai price...

What about car lots...there are never sale prices on the car windows and how many farangs buy cars... dual pricing is an Asian thing...scam as much as possible all the time...it's in their blood....

Farangs shouldn't get so heated about it..

I cant believe that people make a big deal about dual pricing.

Some people are chewed up and spat out by Thailand. It turns them in to bitter, balls of hate and spite. Thailand and Thai society really twists them up inside.

A small little thing like this, despite that it's a global phenomenon, triggers all that hate that's built up inside them about the country that they've chosen to live in. :(

I refused to pay to go and see a waterfall the other week...i was on a long weekend break with 10 Thais...they all paid 40baht and the entrance woman wanted 200 baht from me...i spoke in Thai read the Thai sign but she still would not budge...so i said no and went to the river that was outside of the paying area and played with the fish there for free....

Oh dear.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be the same race as some of the people who've chosen to live here.

Edited by thomo