Howard Miller Appointed New British Honorary Consul For Pattaya

george

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they are willing to upgrade him to full diplomatic employee, I see him keeping day job. What about him having bar beer, would'nt that conflict too, or him being an English teacher?

If you dont like to see him in pattaya, you can 1. not get into trouble, 2. be prepared to go to bkk, or 3. call the UNCHR.

I have see him on a few TV shows, I would nt even hire him as my lawyer.

Me not being british and all, congrats HM.

I still think it's a very weird choice. Sure many people love him and many others hate him. Why ask for the trouble of picking someone so controversial?

He d' be completely useless, if everyone were to love him.

I agree with Jingthing about the conflict of interest.

I think that Howard's 'on-the-beat' experience in Pattaya will help him to deal with those who seek out his assistance. But he needs to be completely impartial in the way that he performs his work as an H.C., and I would say that is impossible if he retains active media interests.

You can either do one task or the other - but not both

Simon

Not a Brit, but.

To my view, this is a SHOCKINGLY poor idea to have the same man be both a major local MEDIA maven AND an honorary consul.

So an expat/tourist in distress, and he will see many, tells this man EVERYTHING to get the needed help of his government. Then what happens with his "secrets"? Isn't there the concern that they may be instantly reported in the less than ethical press here? Wouldn't that suppress the willingness of clients to be open with the HC?

It seems to me this is a ridiculously INAPPROPRIATE choice unless the media part of the job is quit.

Par for the course for Pattaya, I suppose.

Please note -- the questions in the post are general RHETORICAL questions. They were not intended to be directed to the new HC.

Jingthing, i am sure you knew that Barry was the editor of Pattaya Today for many years whilst occupying the consuls post

i never noted any evidence of a conflict of interest during his stewardship

quite the contrary in fact

i am sure Howard will be acutely aware of the delicate position he is in and will behave as honorably as Barry did

Howard has big shoes to fill and i am sure many will miss Barry.

i wish them both well in the future

Edited by timekeeper

He is being appointed as an honorary Consul. He is not the <deleted> Ambassador.

He will assist with minor local immigration issues and be the first port of call for Brits in trouble.

Any serious stuff will be handled by the staff from Bangkok.

Many British honorary consuls are not even British. They are simply local businessmen with a good relationship with the UK.

They are appointed in towns where there is no consulate but have a large number of Brits, some of whom will inevitably end up with problems of one kind or another and need a friendly face to guide them through the intricacies of the local laws.

I fail to see why Howard's involvement in local media in any way disqualifies him from performing the duties of an Honorary consul.

All Honorary consuls are, almost by definition,local businessmen, so you could argue that all of them, whatever their business, have potential conflicts of interest.

As soon as I read George's announcement I immediately had concerns about Howard's role with the Police Volunteers, as I am no fan of that particular organisation, and that would most certainly have created a worrying conflict of interest.

But he will resign that position, and I for one throughly welcome his decision.

My only regret is that I will no longer be able to take up Howard's offer to spend the night on police patrol with him. For months I have been trying to find a friend to accompany me, but I haven't been able to find any takers.

Here is an excerpt from the British Foreign Office's own website which helps to explain an honorary consul's duties.

Honorary Consuls are volunteers who help our Posts overseas provide a more accessible and responsive service to British nationals and other nationals for whom we have consular responsibility for, particularly in difficult to reach locations.

They provide information and assistance to people who get into difficulties overseas. They receive no salary from the FCO, but some are paid a small honorarium in recognition of their services, typically around £2000 p.a. Their duties can be expected to occupy a few hours a week under ordinary circumstances. They are typically appointed for a (renewable) five year period.

The Vienna Convention defines the difference between Honorary Consuls and career Consular Officers. Honorary Consuls do not benefit from the same privileges and immunities as diplomats and are not usually referred to as diplomats.

Well, good luck to y'all anyway. Hope he does manage to separate the two roles though I would be very skeptical. I find the English press in Pattaya horribly irresponsible.

Yes they are rags trying to make a few bucks in 'lawless Deadwood', and that must be a very difficult juggling act if you don't want to end up on some mortuary slab.

But so what if the new honorary consul writes a piece about some Brit who has got himself into trouble?

As long as he performs his duties as the consul, who cares if he also writes a piece on it? Is it likely that his role as a reporter would influence his behaviour as the consul - just to spice up the story?

Most stories are spicy enough already.

And with all due respect, who reads these rags except some of the local expats? Not exactly earth shattering news that will wing it's way across the world.

No big deal in the great scheme of things.

Edited by Mobi

I am from the US, no need for the British council to assist me but if I did Howard would be the person I would have chosen. When I said "the program" I was referring to the "trouble in Paradise" TV program and I think the average Brit felt safer after the documentary than more fearful.

Hi. Dunno where the Forum got the idea I was ever knighted (heaven forbid). I'm just plain Mister and always will be. Incidentally, Howard is a great choice and I'm delighted he got the job of honorary consul to replace me. Barry Kenyon.

Hi. Dunno where the Forum got the idea I was ever knighted (heaven forbid). I'm just plain Mister and always will be. Incidentally, Howard is a great choice and I'm delighted he got the job of honorary consul to replace me. Barry Kenyon.

I had dealings with you when you were editing Pattaya Today - believe me, you are sorely missed. Good luck to you and hope you have a very enjoyable retirement, MR!

He is being appointed as an honorary Consul. He is not the <deleted> Ambassador.

He will assist with minor local immigration issues and be the first port of call for Brits in trouble.

Any serious stuff will be handled by the staff from Bangkok.

Precisely.

Controversial or not, it will make little difference as the Honorary Consul is essentially nothing more than a combination of clerk, dogsbody and doormat, responsible for manning the Consulate in the morning, Monday to Friday, to sign and stamp retirees' "proofs" of income and answer inane questions by those who have lost their passports and their money, can't pay their hospital bills, want to know if they need a visa for Vietnam, etc. He is on call 24 hours a day for Brits who need (or think they have some right to) his help who have been arrested, jailed, hospitalised, etc, and he co-ordinates other volunteers who visit Brits in local hospitals and jails when he is not visiting them himself; he also acts as the go-between for the British Embassy in Bangkok and local authorities when a Brit dies.

All for the princely sum of around 5,000 baht a month to cover personal expenses (such as shoes like Barry's, instead of Howard's Doc Martin's) and whatever status (or scorn) goes with the appointment.

Out of curiosity how did you get the job?

Did the British Embassy approach you or was the position advertized?

The position was advertised on the Embassy website. Barry's was a very different case as he was "approached" by the Embassy after years of unrecognised work visiting Brits in jail or in trouble and he then became Pattaya's first "Honorary Consul" to actually have an office and be authorised to carry out minor consular affairs (or, as some would see it, to do their work for them).

Thanks very much everyone. Definetly a big challenge for me.

I want to clarify a few points.

1. I begin on 1st August

2. I am quitting the Tourist Police with effect from 31st July

3. I apologize to anyone who comments on this thread as I am not able to join in any detailed discussions regarding the post.

4. I hope to see some of you in the Consulate Office next to Immigration in Jomtien in the near future.

Howard

Congratulations Howard on your appointment, The Tourist Police in Pattaya will miss you.

I am sorry, but I agre that there is a conflict of interest. Perhaps this was discussed prior to the appointment and there was agreement as to responsibilites and a code of ethics etc. An HC is required to be on call 24/7 and is expected to represent the best interests of HM government and to act on behalf of British nationals. Even if the subject is a raging psycho that has gone on a killing spree, the consul is expected to ensure that the accused's legal rights are protected and that the subject receives the same legal treatment as if the subject was in the UK, until such time as the professionals at the embassy can respond.

I was looking around to see if someone had calculated the workload for an honorary consul and I came across an interesting item from the Guardian story on the honorary consul to Jamaica that was murdered last September. (Who says the job doesn't come without danger? "Honorary consuls are volunteers, paid a small sum typically around £2,000 a year for representing British nationals in difficulties, acting as a UK link with local industries and representing embassies and high commissions at parties and public functions."

(Great, another balloon chaser to feed :) -just joking,)

There are some positives and negatives with this appointment;

Plus

As a tourist police volunteer and long time resident, the appointment brings someone who has a great deal of experience in responding to situations where there has been a death, a crime or an accident. Who better to provide counsel and guidance, then someone that knows his way around Pattaya? If I had a car crash and someone like the appointee was available, I would be grateful. As the number of elderly British nationals in Pattaya increases there is going to be an ever increasing number nationals requiring assistance. Sorry, but old people have a habit of having slips & falls and of dying. If I recall the annual stats table, there is on average 1 UK national death and 2 serious injuries a week in Pattaya. Despite the conspiracy pushers of TVF, almost all are legit deaths, mainly from natural causes or from vehicle incidents. The poor consul has to deal with it. He's like the grim reaper's clerk, I guess. I don't think people appreciate the fact that often the consul has to help with the identification of the deceased. With some of the elderly people in Thailand, the body's been sitting in a room for a few days before it's discovered and is ripe, to put it mildly. It's not a job for the faint of heart. It's the consul that usually has to make the phone call before the picture of the dead person ends up splashed across the local newspaper. Imagine having to be the one to call someone's parents to break the news that little Johnny, the kid they thought was young and pure, splattered himself all over the pavement because he was driving drunk? Who wants to be the one that has to make the call to the wife back in Bristol that her husband had a heart attack while sodomizing a kathoey?

Negative

The activities of the tourist police volunteers has been subject to allegations of impropriety. Whether or not those allegations are legitimate isn't the issue. There needed to be a cooling off period. It is no different than when an honest police officer that worked in a corrupt precinct is considered for promotion. Usually, the candidate is transferred out, allowed to "dry off" for a period of time and then promoted. The lack of a waiting period goes against best practices.

Will the appointee be able to properly represent British subjects accused of crime or will he hold back and let the local police, his former colleagues have their way? Will the appointee be able to respect confidentiality or will friendships with the police lead to the leak of information gathered during consular activity? This issue will have to be clarified at some point because it will come into play the moment something goes pear shaped. Perhaps an agreement has already been reached that the embassy in Bangkok will respond to all serious criminal events. This should be stated. Personally, I have to wonder if the appointee will be able to act on behalf of tourists that experience a police shakedown. I am not saying the appointee is crooked. Far from it. Rather, because the police will think he is still one of them, they will demand more and retaliate if they do not get what they expected, especially if they lose face. The pressure on the appointee is going to be significant and the number of cheap shots that will come from local expats that don't get what they want will be numerous. It's not going to be pleasant being the appointee. Police officers that have gone on to different public service duties usually are the ones that have the most conflicts with the police.

Plus

Pattaya like the rest of Thailand runs on degrees of separation and connections. Who better to have available to deal with problems than someone that knows his way around and that knows who to talk to? If the consul is there to help expats make their concerns known, then the appointee is well suited for that position.

Negative

As was discussed in other posts, the ongoing business operation will create an ethical dilemma. What to do if the consul has to respond to a situation which is a major news story and would provide a major scoop and bring fame? Will information gathered in the scope of the consular activities be kept confidential, or will details somehow leak out to the media? I wonder if the FCO thought this through. It puts the appointee in a difficult position and opens him up to criticicism the moment something looks slightly off.

Considering the difficulty of the position and that is for all intents and purposes true public service, I do hope that people give the appointee a fair chance. It's not as if British expats that are members of the Thai bar (the legal bar, not beer bar) were lined up to accept the thankless position. One has to have a very tough skin and an upbeat personality to be able to deal with some very sad events. As well, I do hope that the embassy gets out in front on the issues of conflict of interest as they will have to be dealt with eventually. The subject will hang like a black cloud until it is addressed in an open manner. All that is needed is a public statement, perhaps reminding everyone that the terms of engagement do include a code of conduct that must be followed. In any case, the bottom line is whether or not the majority of British nationals will be well served by the appointment, and I think they will be.

Edited by geriatrickid

Out of curiosity how did you get the job?

Did the British Embassy approach you or was the position advertized?

Probably one of the posts you wont answer?

Certainly the position was advertised by the British Embassy and whilst it's not unusual for individuals to be invited to apply for certain positions I don't know if this happened in Howard's case. I do know that they did carry out a pretty vigorous and transparent recruitment campaign.

I have never met you Howard, though I have looked out for you on Walking Street when we have visited Pattaya, I wish you every success with your appointment, from what I have seen of you are a realist and I think you will do well.

Edited by theoldgit

Congratulations Howard. No better man for the job !

What does the job entail? I envisage having to deal with tourists arrested and a couple of dead bodies every week, not exactly glamorous, but somebody has to do it.

I'm sure Howard was recommended to fill the shoes of Barry. I don't have any concerns Howard puts 110% effort in his work and I don't think that will change. Simply put Howard enjoys helping people and when you are in a jam I don't think there would be any person in Pattaya I would call, but Howard. This was prior to his new appointment I might add.

HM - who is replacing you as head of FTPV assistants? ;)

Many thanks for the kind messages. Once again, sorry I have to keep quiet, I am sure you understand.

@Britmaveric,

There will be a meeting and a vote by the members about the new Group Leader in due course.